MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

For those thinking Milwaukee can get out of the Division Series, you're only disagreeing with 10 ESPN staff members!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008...s?series=milphi

2903183437_f87a9ffe5f.jpg

Such unanimity scares me more than reassures me, but that may come from being in cynical Philadelphia's environs just a wee bit too long.

Nothing was up for White Sox/Rays when looking to see what the other series looked like from a prediction standpoint. 9 of 10 went with the Cubs over the Dodgers, while only 6 of 10 felt the Angels would advance past the Red Sox.

That comes from the same site that unanimously picked the Patriots to beat the Giants in the Super Bowl

However, I agree with them, the Phillies are easily the hottest team in the NL right now

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALDS:

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim def. Boston Red Sox (3-2)

Tampa Bay Rays def. Chicago White Sox (3-2)

NLDS:

Chicago Cubs def. Los Angeles Dodgers (3-1)

Philadelphia Phillies def. Milwaukee Brewers (3-1)

ALCS:

Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim def. Tampa Bay Rays (4-1)

NLCS

Chicago Cubs def. Philadelphia Phillies (4-2)

World Series:

Chicago Cubs def. Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem (4-3)

You know, I just remembered that if the Cubs make it to the World Series then they will be on the road for the first two games and the last two games. I've always thought that the reason they choked so bad in 03 was because they had to play those games at home in front of thousands of people hoping for them to not lose. In their case, home field may not be an advantage.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Predictions

ALDS

White Sox over Rays 3-2

Angels over Red Sox 3-1

NLDS

Cubs over Dodgers 3-1

Brewers over Phillies 3-2

ALCS

White Sox over Angels 4-2

Cubs over Brewers 4-1

WORLD SERIES

White Sox over Cubs 4-3

ALDS

Boston Red Sox def. Los Angeles Angels [3-1]

When it comes to the playoffs, the Angels are the Sox proverbial bitch.

Tampa Bay Rays def. AL Central Champion [3-0]

The Rays are good enough to get past whoever comes out of the Central

NLDS

Milwaukee Brewers def. Philadelphia Phillies [3-0]

This is more of a pick against Philly, than for Milwaukee. The Phillies just have "choke" written all over them.

Los Angeles Dodgers def. Chicago Cubs [3-2]

Cubs are the best team in the NL, but they are catching the Dodgers at the wrong time. 100 + 1 Cubbie fans.

ALCS

Boston Red Sox def. Tampa Bay Rays [4-3]

Red Sox have been here before. The Rays have not. Boston teaches the new kids.

NLCS

Milwaukee Brewers def. Los Angeles Dodgers [4-2]

Sabathia vs Manny. CC gets it done, and for the first time ever, people in Milwaukee will drink beer.

The 2008 World Series: American League vs. National League

Boston Red Sox def. Milwaukee Brewers [4-0]

Yea...

... Really?!

You bring up a point, though. The Red Sox may have struggled against the Rays and Angels this year but they have done something none of the other AL teams have done -- won games in the playoffs.

Personally, I think thats the most overrated "stat" in all of sports. Who cares if past teams have "Been there" before? It's a completely new year, and as of THIS season the Angels have absolutely PWN3D the Sox. Boston is gonna have to prove that they can handle THIS Angels team, and they have an enormous hill to climb to do it.

Why do they have an enormous hill to climb? They start out 0-0... so the Angels have had their number? The Angels also haven't played a meaningful baseball game in months (since the A's threw in the towel). If the Red Sox split the first two, all of a sudden they're 1-1 with Beckett taking the mound in game 3.

Still doesn't change the fact that Anaheim is 8-1 vs Boston, and I can't be certain but I think beckett is 0-2 with a HUGE ERA this season vs the halos.

The playoffs are a whole different ball game -- and Josh Beckett's one of the best big game pitchers of his generation. I'm not saying the Angels won't win, but it's silly to say the Red Sox have an enormous hill to climb... the Angels aren't any more talented than the Red Sox are and like I said, they haven't played a meaningful baseball game since the A's bowed out.

Except that statistically this season they've proven that they are, in just about every category. And on top of that, yes the Angels haven't played a game that was meaningful to playoff implications in about a month, but truth of the matter is, despite that they still won 100 games and still went 12-5 since clinching the AL West crown, so it's not like they dropped off pace too much at all. But I do get where you're coming from, maybe certain players really do handle playoff pressure different from regular season pressure even if the team they're facing has had their number. I don't agree with that idea, especially when you match up with a team as talented as the Angels are, but yeah, I guess we'll see where this series ends up.

I'm a little late to respond on this, but...

Of the nine Red Sox/Angels games this season, only four of them featured a Red Sox starting pitcher that will make a start in this series, and one of them was Dice-K on short rest. Frankly, I think the three pitching matchups -- Lester/Lackey, Matsuzaka/Santana, and Beckett/Saunders favor the Red Sox. Really the most disputable one is Beckett/Saunders, but we know what Beckett's done in the postseason in his career.

And if you want to talk about how Beckett's done against the Angels this year, go back and look at how he did in his regular season start against the Rockies last year.

IUe6Hvh.png

For those thinking Milwaukee can get out of the Division Series, you're only disagreeing with 10 ESPN staff members!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008...s?series=milphi

2903183437_f87a9ffe5f.jpg

Such unanimity scares me more than reassures me, but that may come from being in cynical Philadelphia's environs just a wee bit too long.

Then maybe I shouldn't be surprised that knowing this is more reassuring than scary to me. Plus it brings the "I just wanna see the media eat crow" crowd to our side :D

ALDS

Rays over White Sox 3-1

Red Sox over Angels 3-2

NLDS

Cubs over Dodgers 3-0

Brewers defeat Phillies 3-1

NLCS

Cubs beat Brewers 4-2

ALCS

Rays defeat Red Sox 4-3

World Series

Rays defeat Cubs 4-3

ALDS

Rays over White Sox 4-2

Red Sox over Angels 4-3

NLDS

Cubs over Dodgers 4-0

Brewers defeat Phillies 4-2

NLCS

Cubs beat Brewers 4-2

ALCS

Rays defeat Red Sox 4-3

World Series

Rays defeat Cubs 4-3

The Divisional Series' are best of five.

IUe6Hvh.png

Looks like nobody saw the Phils win, huh ^_^

(I only saw the final out myself.....stupid work <_< )

I watched it all the way through. I'd have liked to have seen the Phillies send Hamels out for the 9th as opposed to giving the Brewers a chance to see Lidge, but I guess it all worked out.

Watching the Cubs game, now. I find the way Dempster moves his glove during his windup annoying.

IUe6Hvh.png

I watched it all the way through. I'd have liked to have seen the Phillies send Hamels out for the 9th as opposed to giving the Brewers a chance to see Lidge, but I guess it all worked out.

Watching the Cubs game, now. I find the way Dempster moves his glove during his windup annoying.

I may be in the minority here but I find The Cubs a little annoying. Why aren't people as sick of The Cubs as they were sick of The Red Sox? (runs for cover)

BB52Big.jpg

I may be in the minority here but I find The Cubs a LOT annoying. Why aren't people as sick of The Cubs as they were sick of The Red Sox? (runs for cover)

AGREE on BOTH of the above statements. At least the SAWKS had the stones to do something about it and WIN a World Series (or 2) hahaha. Though I edited the last one a lil.

Brew Crew lost, not a bad game. Hamels was throwing some nasty stuff out there. Hall and Weeks should not have been out there today anyway. CC goes tomorrow so we'll see. Hopefully 1-1 coming back to "The Friendly Confines" ;-)

packchampionslfroh.png

I may be in the minority here but I find The Cubs a little annoying. Why aren't people as sick of The Cubs as they were sick of The Red Sox? (runs for cover)

At least in my case, a reasonable chunk of the Cubs fans I know are honest to God baseball fans who've been dedicated for years and certainly are not bandwagoners. These people should get to see their team win a championship once.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1.5 games in and I'm already sick of the Frank TV commercials again. It's going to be a loooong playoffs.

I am with you all the way on that one. Honest to God I thought the guy's 15 minutes were up and he was history. Sadly, I guess not.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived