MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First game: Brewers defense cost them this one. Without Weeks' and Cameron's errors, the game could have ended up 1-0. Gallardo and the Brewers pen were very good. But the Brewers still aren't hitting and so for them to win any of these games, they'll have to be 3-2, 2-1 type scores cause they won't score more than 3 runs in any of these games. Phillies pitching was good, but only one extra base hit (and that should have been an error).

Second game: not too surprising. I think the Cubs thought they could coast at least through the first round, but now they are in trouble. Game 2 will be huge, but they'll have a lot of pressure on them, something they haven't had all year with such a big lead for most of the last few months. If the good Zambrano doesn't show up, this team is done. Which would be absolutely great :)

If The Cubs lose this game The Dodgers will sweep the series. You heard it here first.

I'm not quite ready to say it's a done deal. We'll probably know by the 5th inning tomorrow if the Cubs have a chance in this series. Zambrano gets the ball for Game 2, so he's either going to throw lights out, or he's going to implode. If it is the latter, it will be "series over" for the Northsiders, especially if Chicago's bats contiue to stay ice cold in the playoffs.

6uXNWAo.png

You know what I love about Turner Sports being involved with sports?

Craig Sager in his wild ass suits. Wow.

OK. We need a Craig Sager vs. Don Cherry thread.

I see that not even the winningest team in baseball this year is not immune from having their house invaded by Red Sox fans.

They're like cockroaches.

They ARE cockroaches.

I was trying to be nice.

... and I wasn't :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I see that not even the winningest team in baseball this year is not immune from having their house invaded by Red Sox fans.

They're like cockroaches.

They ARE cockroaches.

I was trying to be nice.

We appreciate that. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

Predictions for Division Series:

AL: White Sox vs. Rays: Sox are the masters of the longball. Rays have a good pitching rotation, but the inexperience will get to them. Sox in 4.

AL: Red Sox vs. Angels: Defending champs vs. Best team in baseball. Should be good, considering the two teams played each other last year. Angels should get their revenge and take the series in 5.

NL: Brewers vs. Phillies. CC is phat, but the loss of Ben Sheets will cost the Brewers. Phils in 4.

NL: Cubs vs. Dodgers: Cubs lost Game 1 tonight, so that's that. Dodgers in 3.

Lester out pitches Lackey, Sox up 1-0! Pressure's on the Angels, now! Sox, at the very least, will split in Anaheim. Hopefully the Sox are right back into the Angels heads...

I've got a good feeling about game two. Dice-K's weakness is walking batters and the Angels don't walk.

IUe6Hvh.png

Its hard to believe but the last time the Angels beat the Sox in a playoff game, Donnie Moore was the Halos closer and one day away from blowing the ALCS.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I bashed Ellsbury all season, but he's definitely stepped it up during this game and hopefully will for the rest of the playoffs. I'm happy to "eat crow" on him. Papelbon, who I've been worrying about, looked awesome aside from that hit he gave up, I think he's stepped it up.

Lester, excellent.

I bashed Ellsbury all season, but he's definitely stepped it up during this game and hopefully will for the rest of the playoffs. I'm happy to "eat crow" on him. Papelbon, who I've been worrying about, looked awesome aside from that hit he gave up, I think he's stepped it up.

Lester, excellent.

Ellsbury started, and ended, the year great. He really just had one bad month. I was hard on him during that stretch, but aside from that, he's been very good for the Sox. If he plays well in these playoffs I really like the Sox chances...

IUe6Hvh.png

Lester, excellent.

Ellsbury started, and ended, the year great. He really just had one bad month. I was hard on him during that stretch, but aside from that, he's been very good for the Sox. If he plays well in these playoffs I really like the Sox chances...

Meh...... you know more like 4 bad months with a few minor 1-2 week bursts sprinkled in. Although I think I have been far more patient with him than most, there was a point by mid-July it became painful to watch him. He had just completely lost his speed in addition to hitting ability, I think after having 30 steals and caught like twice, over the next 2 months he was 3 out of 8 or something. He should not have been in there leading off during June and July.

Fake edit: I just looked it up, you're sorta right, he really only had 2 bad months.

Anyway the second half of the game last night was a complete turnaround from the first half, and it makes me very excited. We only need to play .500 ball here on out and we already won on the road.

Meh...... you know more like 4 bad months with a few minor 1-2 week bursts sprinkled in. Although I think I have been far more patient with him than most, there was a point by mid-July it became painful to watch him. He had just completely lost his speed in addition to hitting ability, I think after having 30 steals and caught like twice, over the next 2 months he was 3 out of 8 or something. He should not have been in there leading off during June and July.

Fake edit: I just looked it up, you're sorta right, he really only had 2 bad months.

Anyway the second half of the game last night was a complete turnaround from the first half, and it makes me very excited. We only need to play .500 ball here on out and we already won on the road.

I wouldn't be so sure to put this series in the books just yet, though. A lot of it still hinges on Josh Beckett's health this Sunday. Now, granted, if Matsuzaka hurls a gem tomorrow night and the Sox come home up 2-0, then it's done. But if it's 1-1 and Beckett is less-than-spectacular, the Angels could easily steal home-field advantage back their way.

I wouldn't be so sure to put this series in the books just yet, though. A lot of it still hinges on Josh Beckett's health this Sunday. Now, granted, if Matsuzaka hurls a gem tomorrow night and the Sox come home up 2-0, then it's done. But if it's 1-1 and Beckett is less-than-spectacular, the Angels could easily steal home-field advantage back their way.

Remember that the Angels had the best road mark in the majors this year, and actually had equal records at home and on the road. Hence why I'm not at all concerned about them losing home field, because it doesn't seem to matter as much with them this season.

VmWIn6B.png

Its hard to believe but the last time the Angels beat the Sox in a playoff game, Donnie Moore was the Halos closer and one day away from blowing the ALCS.

That's not hard to believe at all -- how often have the Angels and Red Sox even met in the playoffs?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

That's not hard to believe at all -- how often have the Angels and Red Sox even met in the playoffs?

If my math is right, 3 straight seasons, or 3 out of the last 4.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived