Luongo Canucks captain.

oddball

Other than Martin Brodeur, how many goalies play nearly all of their teams games? Even the best ones take a lot of nights off (at least 20.) That would make for a lot of games where your "captain" is not on the ice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Other than Martin Brodeur, how many goalies play nearly all of their teams games? Even the best ones take a lot of nights off (at least 20.) That would make for a lot of games where your "captain" is not on the ice.

Luongo and Broduer play about the same amount of games.

This just goes to show that Vancouver is truly lost without Naslund and Morrison. Give the Sedin twin the captain role, they each wear the C half of the games. If anyone on the team deserves a C for his hard work and leadership, it is Luongo though, like theVet said, he's on the ice more than anyone else on the team.

It's an honour, a symbol. Since when do you need a letter on your jersey to be a leader, or a captain?

There's no rule that goalies can't be captains. There IS a rule saying they can't wear the C and debate calls with the ref.

It's big in the locker room, because players will look towards the leader, the captain, Roberto Luongo, the best player.

Its weird, but I like it. Luongo is the best player on the team, handles much of the media interaction already anyways (and did it better than Naslund when he was captain).

Prediction: Luongo will have a C on his mask sometime this year. There's no rule against that.

There's no rule that goalies can't be captains. There IS a rule saying they can't wear the C and debate calls with the ref.

Okay, so why is there a rule against goalies wearing the C? I mean, I don't know why any team would really want the guy who has the least interaction with his teammates being the captain, but why set it as a rule?

Okay, so why is there a rule against goalies wearing the C? I mean, I don't know why any team would really want the guy who has the least interaction with his teammates being the captain, but why set it as a rule?

Luongo's not that type of guy, It has been mentioned many times that Luongo is a vocal guy in the dressing room, not that you need to be vocal to be a good captain ie Nick Lidstrom. The goalies are weird myth is stupid, on all the teams I played the goalies are the most sociable guys.

This just goes to show that Vancouver is truly lost without Naslund and Morrison. Give the Sedin twin the captain role, they each wear the C half of the games.

Why? Naslund had a hard time handling the pressure of the C and Morrison was never praised for his leadership skills. IMO the Sedin twins wouldn't want the C, they would prefer being background guys.

And aren't most goalies locker room leaders anyways?

From my experience, no. Goalies tend to be the shy, quiet ones. Sure, there are exceptions (Patrick Roy), but I'm sure he was as quiet as a mouse in the room. Focus and all that nonsense.

By the way, the last official goalie captain was Bill Durnan back in 1948.

Thanks!

I totally forgot who it was.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Another pic:

67vecm.jpg

Since this was against the Ducks last night...

"Oh! there's a puck!... behind me..."

Which reminds me of this pic from 07 :D

610x.jpg

Anyways,

Apparently, Luongo says the C stands for Canucks not Captain :rolleyes:

Here,

Vancouver captain Luongo, forbidden by NHL rules from wearing the letter on his jersey because he is a goaltender, sported a new C on his mask, but said after the game the letter stands for "Canucks"

LINK

And Here,

LINK

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived