MLB 2009

mania

Someone with the Twins told me that there will likely be a "Final Season" patch for this last year in the Metrodome. There are no hints at what that logo might look like however.

Maybe something like this with the TC logo and '82-'09 in it?

black-trash-bag-280x280.jpg

2 steps ahead of you, I made this a month ago, lol (I forget which thread I posted it in)

twinspatchfakehp8.gif

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the new Rays colors and logo, but I wish they would still have left the two tones of green in their uniforms as well. They still have the Rays tank at the Trop so they haven't totally abandoned the reference to the fish. I still saw plenty of fans with green on in the stands this year as well. The green and blue tones would match perfectly I think. I just hate radical rebrandings.

Two tones of green? I recall only one green paired with the light accent of royal blue.

I stand corrected. My photographic memory has failed me. I kept thinking it was hunter green and light green but it was just the way the light was hitting it. I'd still like to see that green incorporated into the organization as a secondary color. I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I'm glad that this latest plan to demolish the Trop has failed. I saw my first MLB game there and hate to see all domes eradicated.

Even if they did go with the superior, package-completing Interlocking DC, selling Curly W pretzels would be a clever touch. Maybe the Cubs could sell C burgers: the pinkhats would find it so cute, they wouldn't even notice the burger is missing about 30% of the meat.

I dont get why everyone loves the DC logo and hates the curly W. IMO, Curly W is far better than the DC logo. The only thing the DC logo has is that it matches the overall look better.

But then, why would one go to the inferior cap logo to fit a bad overall design, when one can make a better overall design by building it around the superior cap logo?

oBIgzrL.png

Even if they did go with the superior, package-completing Interlocking DC, selling Curly W pretzels would be a clever touch. Maybe the Cubs could sell C burgers: the pinkhats would find it so cute, they wouldn't even notice the burger is missing about 30% of the meat.

I dont get why everyone loves the DC logo and hates the curly W. IMO, Curly W is far better than the DC logo. The only thing the DC logo has is that it matches the overall look better.

But then, why would one go to the inferior cap logo to fit a bad overall design, when one can make a better overall design by building it around the superior cap logo?

agreed wholeheartedly. i love the Curly W despite its the twin of the Walgreens W and they couldve complimented it by a much better overall design in the beginning, but then again, baseball designed the unis, so they couldve done worse im sure.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

agreed wholeheartedly. i love the Curly W despite its the twin of the Walgreens W and they couldve complimented it by a much better overall design in the beginning, but then again, baseball designed the unis, so they couldve done worse im sure.

Agreed.

Keep the block lettering on the home unis, but use a script "Washington" for the away ones. That would be the preferred look (then again, I LOVED the old Brewers design-very similar)

bYhYmxh.png

Matching the overall look better counts for something. A lot, actually. So yeah, the only thing is has going for it is that it's a better logo. That's game, set, and match, DC logo. (I jest. A little.)

Another point for the DC logo is that locals really do refer to Washington as "DC." As a matter of fact, there is no city of Washington here. It ceased to exist more than a century ago; now the name is a legal fiction; legally, the city exists only as the District of Columbia.

Finally, while my tolerance for the W logo has grown hugely since late 2004, and I own and wear five different curly-W caps, it's still a pretty poor logo on simple technical grounds. For one thing, if you look closely at the lines of the official W logo, the lines don't match up in the center-bottom where the two loops cross. That's a sub-amateurish mistake that might be the single worst-designed part of any logo in use by any MLB team. It's Buffaslug bad in that regard. For another thing, stylistically it's much too close to the current Phillies cap logo. It's got the rounded-dot "starting point," and it ends in a narrow-to-a-point swoosh. For yet another thing, the rakish angle of the W, and the fact that it has no clear center point (the central loop is off-center), means that no matter where you put it, it will always look just a little wrong, and even the team itself (and MLB and merchandise suppliers) can't seem to use the W consistently from one instance to the next. You'll see the W at different angles on just about every instance you see it, and sometimes it is centered true (and thus looks slightly off-center) while sometimes it is centered on the middle loop (and thus is badly off-center).

The curly W could be improved significantly with a few tweaks, but as it is it's just not a good logo by any conceivable stretch.

20082614447.png

FWIW, e-mail sent out today by the Nationals:

Nationals to unveil new 2009 jerseys on Thursday, November 6

The Washington Nationals will unveil their new 2009 regular-season jerseys at the ESPN Zone on Thursday, November 6 at 12 p.m. Nationals Manager Manny Acta and outfielders Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge* will take part in the event, moderated by radio broadcaster Charlie Slowes.

Following the program, Acta, Dukes and Milledge will participate in a 30-minute autograph session.

The event is open to the public and the first 50 guests to arrive will receive a Nationals promotional item at the conclusion of the event. The jerseys will be available for purchase at the Nationals Park Team Store, located on Half Street Southeast in the ballpark's Center Field Plaza, Thursday, November 6 through Sunday, November 9. The jerseys will also be available for purchase online starting Thursday at the nationals.com Shop.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

FWIW, e-mail sent out today by the Nationals:

Nationals to unveil new 2009 jerseys on Thursday, November 6

The Washington Nationals will unveil their new 2009 regular-season jerseys at the ESPN Zone on Thursday, November 6 at 12 p.m. Nationals Manager Manny Acta and outfielders Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge* will take part in the event, moderated by radio broadcaster Charlie Slowes.

Following the program, Acta, Dukes and Milledge will participate in a 30-minute autograph session.

The event is open to the public and the first 50 guests to arrive will receive a Nationals promotional item at the conclusion of the event. The jerseys will be available for purchase at the Nationals Park Team Store, located on Half Street Southeast in the ballpark's Center Field Plaza, Thursday, November 6 through Sunday, November 9. The jerseys will also be available for purchase online starting Thursday at the nationals.com Shop.

Does the * pertain to Milledge or all three?

I didnt feel like looking through 13 pages but are there any news on the Blue Jays? I would love to see a home jersey with "Blue Jays" in the same style as the away jersey. Then keep the black jersey (Maybe even change that to blue since the road jersey has alot more blue in it) as an alternate. Im hoping they ditch the "T" hat, I think it looks awful and out of place with the identity.

beLEAF

Does the * pertain to Milledge or all three?

*Player and Coach appearances subject to change

Thanks. Btw, very impressive sig

I second that. It really is pretty fricken nice.

Thanks, the sad thing is it's no longer accurate... after following the Astros for 13 years, I abandoned them at the end of 2007 when they axed Phil Garner and Tim Purpura (on my birthday, nonetheless) and then got rid of Lidge in the off-season. I guess I need a new sig.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

New Nationals' unis are up:

NEW REGULAR ROAD:

pMLB2-5427981dt.jpg

NEW MORE COMMON ALTERNATE:

pMLB2-5427988dt.jpg

NEW OTHER ALTERNATE (Used for July 4, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Flag Day, etc.):

pMLB2-5427995dt.jpg

Thoughts?

any unveil pics ?

None yet...Just the shop pics at www.nationals.com

bYhYmxh.png

NEW REGULAR ROAD:

pMLB2-5427981dt.jpg

Thoughts?

Well, that's better, as the Walgreens' W isn't orphaned.

But now we have an over-designed home that doesn't match the road uniform. Still problematic, just a different problem.

EDIT: Don't think I'll like this red-heavy jersey with the blue road cap, either.

NEW REGULAR ROAD:

pMLB2-5427981dt.jpg

NEW MORE COMMON ALTERNATE:

pMLB2-5427988dt.jpg

NEW OTHER ALTERNATE (Used for July 4, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Flag Day, etc.):

pMLB2-5427995dt.jpg

Thoughts?

Road: Love the new script (Need to make a Nationals one for the homes), but the jersey needs to stay predominantly navy, like before. Red and gray just look odd together. And most of the navy/red teams use red lettering/piping/whatever on their roads anyway, so it just makes them look even more like them. The navy lettering and numbers, along with the navy/red/navy piping made them different and looked a whole helluva lot better. - Small upgrade for the wordmark.

Red Alternate: Prefer the full white piping over the previous navy/red/navy on red that matches the regular uniforms. Would prefer all jerseys match, though. I think the W looks good on here. - Upgrade.

Navy Alternate: The logo looks better on the jersey than the hat. You can actually make out the 2 different letters, aswear the hat looks like one big object with the flag in it, can hardly see the interlocking, and cut-outs of the letters. - Nice addition.

Overall, good changes. Couple changes I didn't care for (mostly red on the aways instead of navy). I say a slightly upward but mostly lateral move.

Archived