MLB 2009

mania

Tell me that's not the actual numeral font on the front of the road grays.

It is. It's the standard Nats number font, but with no gold bevel. On the back, the number has the gold bevel.

How could the Nats recover from this debacle?

1. Ditch the DC logo from all uses except the blue alt.

2. Change to the exact number font of the Tampa Bay Rays.

3. Switch the home jersey to either a script "Nationals" or a curly W on the left chest.

4. Eliminate the blue curly W hat entirely. If a second hat is needed, use either a red hat with a blue bill, or a red hat with a blue curly W. Or a red cap with a blue bill and a blue curly W.

A few simple changes and the Nats could have A-minus uniforms. Alas.

20082614447.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that new Nationals road jersey, except for in the unvil picture, it looks like the script and numbers have no outlines at all, if that's the case, I strongly dislike.

What I can't stand, is that their home uniforms will have that :censored:ty block font still and the road has that beautiful script.

Kinda like what the Blue Jays did...

Why not just match them up instead of spending the cash to change the red alternate, that was beauiful to begin with.

Also, I like the Blue alternate, great idea, IMO, but not if it's overused.

And finally, I don't love how they're using the curly W and the interlocking DC on the same uniform, it's totally mismatched.

I say just drop the interlockin DC, and keep the W.

The beveled lettering got old quick.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I forgot to offer a letter grade. My opinion is likely to change marginally when I see the jerseys with caps on the field of play. But for now, I'm calling this a change that takes a couple of A-plus elements and turns them into an unforgivable F-minus uniform set. I kid around about having low expectations of Nats management, but ye gods, considered as a total package, this is a stunningly, breathtakingly bad uniform redesign. Biggest difference between the quality of the underlying design ideas and the final product that I've ever seen in a baseball uni redesign.

Now, if the road uni actually works with the blue cap, or if they ditch the blue cap, or if the Reds miraculously drop their own red alt jersey in favor of something completely different, then I could reconsider upwards into D territory. Otherwise, this is an F.

(Yet it's an F that nonetheless has me coveting two of the jerseys. The new road and the new red alt are going on my Christmas list.)

Christmas list? They'll be in the cheap department and thrift stores (think TJ Maxx) by February. Thats where I got my Nats home jersey.

Tell me that's not the actual numeral font on the front of the road grays.

It is. It's the standard Nats number font, but with no gold bevel. On the back, the number has the gold bevel.

How could the Nats recover from this debacle?

1. Ditch the DC logo from all uses except the blue alt.

2. Change to the exact number font of the Tampa Bay Rays.

3. Switch the home jersey to either a script "Nationals" or a curly W on the left chest.

4. Eliminate the blue curly W hat entirely. If a second hat is needed, use either a red hat with a blue bill, or a red hat with a blue curly W. Or a red cap with a blue bill and a blue curly W.

A few simple changes and the Nats could have A-minus uniforms. Alas.

I think the navy hat is one of the best in baseball. That's the one I always associated with Washingtong baseball before the Expos moved. They need to make the aways predominantly navy again, and swith the home to a script like "Washington". And either remove the beveling from all numbers, or just switch to the standard baseball block numbers. I think the DC could still work as a sleeve-patch only (and the alternate, special occasion flag version) minus the gold beveling. Maybe a slight tweak to make it seem not so blocky, but I still think it works. Think along the lines of the Dodgers script with the block LA. Only the DC would only appear on sleeves. I think the gold removed from the beveling should be added as an outline on the lettering; red-navy-gold on the homes, and navy-red-gold on the aways. I generally don't have much of a beef with white outlines on the gray jerseys, more of a case-by-case basis with me, but here's one instance where I don't care for it. They now resemble the Phillies' aways just a bit too much for my liking. Switching back to navy would really help to correct that.

The new road jersey is one of the most beautiful uniforms I've ever seen.

Me, too. That one's definitely on my to-get list.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I hope I'm not wrong, but aren't the gray road unis basically what the Senators wore in their final years in DC? The alts are terrible, but that road uniform is fantastic as a throwback to '71...especially if they put the red hat with it.

Individually, each of the Nats jerseys are great, but together as a set it's terrible.

Road- I love the script, and it finally matches the hat. Now they will be wearing a mostly blue cap with a mostly red jersey. I just don't think that will look good. Either ditch the navy cap, or make the script navy. If they made the homes match these, it would be great.

Alt- I like these more than the DC alt, I'll wait until I see these on the field to see if just the curly W looks too plain on the jersey. And it will be interesting to see which hat they wear.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hope I'm not wrong, but aren't the gray road unis basically what the Senators wore in their final years in DC? The alts are terrible, but that road uniform is fantastic as a throwback to '71...especially if they put the red hat with it.

The 69-71 Senators had identical markings on both road and home -- red script 'Senators', number on the back and red caps. White with blue pinstripes at home, grey on the road:

al_1968_washington.gif

They've had "Washington" in various styles of block letters (including 2005-08) before, but this is a first for script.

But you're right in that the purpose is to harken back to the look of 1959-60 and 1963-1971, when script "Senators" was on both sets.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The 69-71 Senators had identical markings on both road and home -- red script 'Senators', number on the back and red caps. White with blue pinstripes at home, grey on the road:

al_1968_washington.gif

They've had "Washington" in various styles of block letters (including 2005-08) before, but this is a first for script.

But you're right in that the purpose is to harken back to the look of 1959-60 and 1963-1971, when script "Senators" was on both sets.

That's an odd shade of blue they got there for the pinstripes. What exactly do you call that blue? Oh yeah... red.

^_^

That's an odd shade of blue they got there for the pinstripes. What exactly do you call that blue? Oh yeah... red.

It's one of the untruths that is still held on a widespread basis that the stripes were red.

How about this:

hansenwash.jpg

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The road unis are beautiful. I don't know why people think it won't look good with a solid navy cap. The late 90's Cleveland Indians would disagree, and would look incredible doing so.

carlosb.jpg306202_f260.jpg

41354645.jpg

Those are actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the new roads. Red with a navy and and white outline. Those were great. furthermore, the Orioles have had everything on the jerseys orange with a black outline, with a black cap, and that works, too. It will look great.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I absolutely love the new roads. I just they would have updated the homes as well, but I think that will happen soon enough.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The road unis are beautiful. I don't know why people think it won't look good with a solid navy cap. The late 90's Cleveland Indians would disagree, and would look incredible doing so.

(photos)

Those are actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the new roads. Red with a navy and and white outline. Those were great. furthermore, the Orioles have had everything on the jerseys orange with a black outline, with a black cap, and that works, too. It will look great.

I considered the Indians, because the script reminded me of that right away. And now the Expos photo reminds me that a royal cap has been used with a red script jersey, so I'm willing to consider that it might look OK.

But... the red in each of those caps helps. The Nationals road caps use red only as a trim -- and a trim that is barely noticeable from far away (so much so that when they came out I was sure it was even there until close inspection). So the difference -- for me at least -- is that it will appear to be a navy and white cap with a red and gray jersey. If they had a red W on blue cap... anyway, I'll stay open-minded until I see it, but I have my doubts.

(Perhaps the Nats do, too, since no one wore a cap at the show. And nothing like parading mostly women's versions of your new jerseys out there. Those two roads together don't even look the same and the flag DC is considerably smaller.)

I thought the Nationals were also going to change their home uniforms. I guess they didn't.

I was thinking so too. So now, only every other city except Washington will see this brand new jersey on the field. Overall, I agree with the person who said they all look good individually, but as a whole they failed.

I would start by changing the front number to match the ones used on the back or vice versa. Modern numbers on one side with block numbers on the other is not a positive mix and match. Make up your mind already. Then, I would of made a home jersey with a "Nationals" script that matches the road one. To sum up my feeling in just a few words: I'm disapointed.

I thought the Nationals were also going to change their home uniforms. I guess they didn't.

I was thinking so too. So now, only every other city except Washington will see this brand new jersey on the field. Overall, I agree with the person who said they all look good individually, but as a whole they failed.

I would start by changing the front number to match the ones used on the back or vice versa. Modern numbers on one side with block numbers on the other is not a positive mix and match. Make up your mind already. Then, I would of made a home jersey with a "Nationals" script that matches the road one. To sum up my feeling in just a few world: I'm disapointed.

Word. The fancy-beleved numbers compete for attention with the Wash. script, so I would absolutely use block numbers on the front (not standard MLB block, but Expos / Yankees block.) Of course, for consistency, they need to use the block on the back too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just happened across some footage from backstage at the Nationals event, and it seems like there was some discontent among the participants. Those at work might not want to watch this, since it contains some strong language:

What a mess of a uniform set. Jesus, you'd think SOMEBODY in Washington has some fashion sense, wouldn't you? It's just...all over the damn map!

Archived