MLB 2009

mania

How could the Nats recover from this debacle?

McCall put together a great concept/tweak and addition a few years ago that addressed most of the issues. I've made a few tweaks to his concept, and he's agreed to let me post it.

84908093oh3.png

In a perfect world the DC logo (as seen on the cap) would be the sleeve patch and the curly W would be eliminated.

However, I know that the Nationals won't (or can't) get rid of the curly W. As a compromise, put it inside the shield logo and make it the sleeve patch. That way the curly W remains part of the uniform but fits in better with the rest of the identity.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How could the Nats recover from this debacle?

McCall put together a great concept/tweak and addition a few years ago that addressed most of the issues. I've made a few tweaks to his concept, and he's agreed to let me post it.

84908093oh3.png

In a perfect world the DC logo (as seen on the cap) would be the sleeve patch and the curly W would be eliminated.

However, I know that the Nationals won't (or can't) get rid of the curly W. As a compromise, put it inside the shield logo and make it the sleeve patch. That way the curly W remains part of the uniform but fits in better with the rest of the identity.

Excellent concept and if the Nationals wanted to milk it for a little more, the home hat could have a red bill.

3009159731_15875bc4ab_o.png

From UniWatch. Maybe... still need to see it live. It does have an Expos vibe to it, so maybe that's why I'm getting slightly more comfortable with it. Another name to add with a similar setup is the old Angels. Of course, they had a red bill and a red A, which I do think makes a big difference.

I was expecting better from the Nats. This seems to be more of a money grab than anything else. The script is okay in my mind, I don't like how the tail comes to a "hook" end, and the lack of gold is bothersome. Also this was a prime opportunity to get rid of the gaudy neck piping. As others have said there's really no point to keeping the DC patch, it doesn't work with anything and is the only source of gold for the roads. Glad to see the re-emphasis on the curly "W" though, that's a plus.

About a year and a half ago I did a concept for the Nats that I personally (obviously) think this is the way they should have gone...

washroad.png

/shameless plug

I thought the Nationals were also going to change their home uniforms. I guess they didn't.

I was thinking so too. So now, only every other city except Washington will see this brand new jersey on the field. Overall, I agree with the person who said they all look good individually, but as a whole they failed.

I would start by changing the front number to match the ones used on the back or vice versa. Modern numbers on one side with block numbers on the other is not a positive mix and match. Make up your mind already. Then, I would of made a home jersey with a "Nationals" script that matches the road one. To sum up my feeling in just a few world: I'm disapointed.

Word. The fancy-beleved numbers compete for attention with the Wash. script, so I would absolutely use block numbers on the front (not standard MLB block, but Expos / Yankees block.) Of course, for consistency, they need to use the block on the back too.

I have hated the beveled "Super Cowboys" numbers since they came out. This road uniform screams out "please put standard MLB-block numbers on me...please!" Yet no one is listening. How on earth do you have a jersey that has different numbers on the front than the back? How?

Also, why did they choose to split the "h" in "Washington"? I hate split letters that don't have to be.

The Orioles would have to work hard to screw up their new roads this badly.

From UniWatch. Maybe... still need to see it live. It does have an Expos vibe to it, so maybe that's why I'm getting slightly more comfortable with it. Another name to add with a similar setup is the old Angels. Of course, they had a red bill and a red A, which I do think makes a big difference.

I actually like that a whole lot better than the current look and the other concept on this page that utilizes the horrible "DC" logo with the futuristic overdone font.

The whole uniform set would work if they paired this concept up with a white uni with a red curly 'W' on the chest and call it a day.

I didn't even read what you wrote, and I said to myself "Wow, that's got a HUGE Expos vibe to it"

2IA3b.png

Maybe... still need to see it live. It does have an Expos vibe to it, so maybe that's why I'm getting slightly more comfortable with it. Another name to add with a similar setup is the old Angels. Of course, they had a red bill and a red A, which I do think makes a big difference.

I can almost guarantee that seeing the uniform in person will make anyone here less comfortable with this jersey, not more. There's so little blue in the rest of the uniform that the cap looks like a mistake. The DC logo on the sleeve clashes badly with the script on the chest. And the non-matching numbers from front to back are worse than I can describe. They must be seen to be believed. Possibly the single ugliest uniform design element in the history of big-league baseball. Seriously, I'd rather the Nats adopt a fake blue collar like the White Sox, or plaid, or rainbow stripes.

My plan would have been to get a replica version of the new road jersey so that it doesn't have the sleeve patch on it, and then have red Rays-style block numbers put on front and back. But now with the crappy new replica jerseys, I'm stuck with either getting an authentic with the sleeve patch (ugh) or none at all. Probably gonna be none at all this year, simply because that is too large a sleeve patch to remove and cover up with any of the other Nats patches I have.

At the very least, I hope the players rebel and adopt the red cap on the road. That sort of thing has happened once or twice. And I say this despite the blue road cap being by far my favorite Nats cap.

Also, while it's true Speedy never solved some minor typographical problems with his concept -- the T and the underline -- his script actually looks like it's done by the same hand as the curly W. The actual Nats script doesn't actually match the curly W very well. The lower-case script letters are all about fixed widths, straight lines, and right-angle edges, whereas the curly W is about varied widths, curves, and non-right-angle edges.

20082614447.png

Dare I ask the question, is it considered fan abandonment if said fan does not approve of or appreciate the "improvements" in the jerseys? And what are some of the possible paths to ameliorate and actually enjoy the baseball team again (or ever)?

The Indians could wear a blue hat with the red jersey script because the rest of the uniform was blue (piping, belt, socks). It looks like the Nats will be using red for the belt and socks, which makes the blue cap seem out of place.

The Indians could wear a blue hat with the red jersey script because the rest of the uniform was blue (piping, belt, socks). It looks like the Nats will be using red for the belt and socks, which makes the blue cap seem out of place.

Exactly. Can't see the socks, but I presume that they're keeping the red ones.

If the uniform had more red in it, belt and socks, the navy cap could work. As it is, it's out of place amongst all the red.

The Nats continue to have the most over-designed yet internally clashing uniform in baseball.

How on earth do you have a jersey that has different numbers on the front than the back? How?

Excellent question, and I share your chagrin. However, this is neither the first, nor the most extreme, example of this phenomenon.

In 1972, in the first year of that wonderful Oakland A's uni set, the A's had block numbers on the back, while on the front they had the original Expos font:

01F.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Maybe its their attempt to look even MORE like the Cardinals?

I don't know....just a thought.

I think if it works for the Cards, it'll work for the Nats.

The McCall concept almost gets it right, but I'd go further and argue that the player names should be horizontal in condensed block (think Bears and Raiders), like a football jersey or the old A's jerseys. The radial arching doesn't match the horizontal scripts. I'd eliminate the curly W completely, if I could.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I personally think the Nationals should go with the interlocking DC logo full time and quit with the history of the Walgreens logo. You're not the Senators and never will be, Texas and Minnesota have that honor. Start anew with your own personality

How on earth do you have a jersey that has different numbers on the front than the back? How?

Excellent question, and I share your chagrin. However, this is neither the first, nor the most extreme, example of this phenomenon.

In 1972, in the first year of that wonderful Oakland A's uni set, the A's had block numbers on the back, while on the front they had the original Expos font:

01F.jpg

Well, in 1996 the Orioles front and back 5s didn't exactly match (home and road jerseys only--the alts were OK) but they were still (essentially) the same font. These two aren't really all that close.

Archived