MLB 2009

mania

I can't decide if I like the beveled W cap without seeing the rest of the uniform.

You've seen the rest of the uniform - this was supposed to accompany the Nationals' monument-inspired look.

The reason that the curly pretzel cap logo was singularly out of place on a remarkably-uniform uniform? Because this was supposed to be the cap.

I didn't know that.

With that in mind, with some minor changes the beveled W cap would be great.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hasten to add that all of this is according to BallWonk. Whom I have no reason to doubt, and many reasons to trust. My assertions should be viewed in that light - "if the reports are true, then this is the ballcap intended to go with the Nationals' initial uniform."

Still, if this is coming out publicly I'd love to see Todd Radom confirm it. And damn, do I want one of those beveled W caps.

I love how my picture still shows up more than two years after I took it (April 13, 2006). And yes, it would look so much better with the beveled W.

Not to make light, but wonder if Abraham Zapruder felt the same way....

Hey, you catch a snapshot of a rare bird like that one, you can't blame us for dragging it out at every opportunity.

Abraham Zapruder thinks the look of the grassy knoll could be improved by a beveled W?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Abraham Zapruder thinks the look of the grassy knoll could be improved by a beveled W?

There is a beveled W visible just to the right of President Kennedy's limousine in Frame No. 1765. You just have to look very closely.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not completely, but it's close. The middle peak on the logo is pointed whereas the middle peak on the cap is flat and serifed.

By itself and even with its flaws, I think the curly-W is a strong logo and stands on its own quite well. However, it does look out of place in the Nationals' set (I guess save for the new roads). I'm ambivalent about the new road script. Part of me likes it because the curly-W at least fits somewhere (although some minor tweaks to the script would make it fit better). Part of me dislikes it because I really like the "monument font" that the Nationals have used (in no small part due to BallWonk's comments on this board) and I think I might like the monument font better than the curly script.

On a side note, BallWonk's idea of using a blue DC cap to say "Washington, DC" on the uniform is genius. I would have loved to seen that on the field. Perhaps with the new roads, I could get a old road jersey for cheap.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I definitely prefer the monument font to the curly script, but if they're going to use the pretzel cap then I think the road script is vastly preferable.

As for the Orioles, here's my review of the series of non-cartoony birds they've had recently:

3022211159_4d248469ee_b.jpg

From what we can see of the new logo, I like it. Never liked the steriody-bird, too static.

I love how my picture still shows up more than two years after I took it (April 13, 2006). And yes, it would look so much better with the beveled W.

As long as there are Washington baseball fans, your picture will continue to show up. That right there is easily one of the ten greatest baseball caps of all time, and certainly the best Washington cap we'll ever see. Just a real shame it never made it past the prototype stage. Seriously, that photo is destined to outlive us all.

Luckily, the game won't be remembered as much as the hat will.....Livan Hernandez gave up three homers to the Mets in the top of the first inning.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I guess the Orioles will unveil an updated primary logo as well? Maybe they'll acknowledge second base this time around.
I just looked through their logos after reading this thread earlier. The previous version had a 2nd base, but it looked weird to me. I think it looks weird because 1st and 3rd are covered by the script. It just looks like a white diamond thrown there for no reason.

If they are redoing the logo, just eliminate the field in the background. It serves no purpose. The bird perched on the script is strong enough.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I guess the Orioles will unveil an updated primary logo as well? Maybe they'll acknowledge second base this time around.
I just looked through their logos after reading this thread earlier. The previous version had a 2nd base, but it looked weird to me. I think it looks weird because 1st and 3rd are covered by the script. It just looks like a white diamond thrown there for no reason.

If they are redoing the logo, just eliminate the field in the background. It serves no purpose. The bird perched on the script is strong enough.

I believe the diamond is there to emulate the Oriole Park at Camden Yards logo, which is also a diamond. The prior version was a bird perched on script, just with a fatter, less attractive script and with Baltimore in the tail.

Speaking of which, I wonder if any new primary logo will include Baltimore. I haven't heard anything at all about that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Sure, it is a block letter with bevels, but I don't think that W matches the rest of the unis. The W on the road jerseys was rectangular, it didn't fan out. Also, none of the other letters had serifs on them.

I think it matches the W in the primary logo.

Almost. But more importantly, it matches the letterforms of the DC logo. It would have looked terrific with the old road script, even though they're not exactly the same shape, in the same way that the Tigers, Twins, and Yankees all have cap logos that differ in specific shape from the same letters that appear on their jerseys.

It's worth repeating that my sourcing on all of this origins-of-the-Nats-identity stuff is thin, in most cases not more than two sources, and nothing I can quote for attribution. With the exception of one response from Selig himself, in which the hints that the new owners would be given every opportunity, wink wink, to change the name to "Senators" were pretty strong.

20082614447.png

Just wait until tomorrow. You're already a step ahead of everyone else.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

right there is easily one of the ten greatest baseball caps of all time

With all due respect, it's just a prototype, and even as far as overridden Nationals caps go, the DC one looks better with the rest of the uniforms. Roman is right: it's not even the same W as the one in the main logo OR the one in the road script. I don't get this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived