MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pMLB2-5441477dt.jpgpMLB2-5443659dt.jpg

I like them, but the one thing that's bugging me is the Orioles patch on the right sleeve of the road jersey.

Not only is the first part of "Baltimore" much more bigger than the latter part of the word, but the wordmark itself is angled to high up to the left shoulder. I don't know why they couldn't have just made the whole thing a tad scaled down (would still be big enough) and a little less angled, like the "Orioles" script on the home jerseys? And why is the "Orioles" script needed on the right sleeve of the roads, when the logo on the left sleeve says "Oriole Baseball"? Little redundant, ain't it? I can understand on the home where it says "Orioles" on the front of the jersey, and "Baltimore Orioles" on the sleeve patch, but when the same thing is repeated on both SLEEVES is a bit of overkill, IMO.

Huge upgrade. Enormous. Waff's right about the angled-away letters, but still.

The home lettering also has that effect and has for years; it's just not as pronounced. But if you take the letters "rioles" and draw lines connecting the tops of the letters and the bottoms of the letters, the two lines are not parallel. They touch each other at a very acute angle at a point that would be a yard or so to the player's left. So it's appropriate for the road script to have the same "angled away" characteristic.

20082614447.png

The home lettering also has that effect and has for years; it's just not as pronounced. But if you take the letters "rioles" and draw lines connecting the tops of the letters and the bottoms of the letters, the two lines are not parallel. They touch each other at a very acute angle at a point that would be a yard or so to the player's left. So it's appropriate for the road script to have the same "angled away" characteristic.

Yeah, but they didn't need to make it as obvious on Baltimore. And look at the side by side jerseys above, the anlgle of both wordmarks is very noticeable different.

Not only is the first part of "Baltimore" much more bigger than the latter part of the word, but the wordmark itself is angled to high up to the left shoulder. I don't know why they couldn't have just made the whole thing a tad scaled down (would still be big enough) and a little less angled, like the "Orioles" script on the home jerseys?

The tail doesn't extend all the way to the left like it does on the Orioles script. Also, the more I stare at it the more the B just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the script.

And why is the "Orioles" script needed on the right sleeve of the roads, when the logo on the left sleeve says "Oriole Baseball"? Little redundant, ain't it? I can understand on the home where it says "Orioles" on the front of the jersey, and "Baltimore Orioles" on the sleeve patch, but when the same thing is repeated on both SLEEVES is a bit of overkill, IMO.

No need for the Orioles script on the right sleeve. I don't see why they can't just use the patch from the home jersey on the road jersey.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

It almost feels that like they had to bargain with Angelos to get the 'Baltimore back on front by trading him an 'Orioles' on the sleeve.

That's exactly what I was picturing.

"Mr. Angelos, the fans have spoken. We're putting 'Baltimore' back on the road jerseys."

"Whaaa? But... but how will people know we're the Orioles?"

"Relax, sir. I know you've voiced this concern before. We're putting a patch on the sleeve that says 'Orioles Baseball'."

"Just one sleeve?"

"Er, yes, the left sleeve. That's where patches traditionally go."

"But what if the batter is left handed? You won't be able to see 'Orioles' anywhere! This completely undercuts the brand I've worked so hard to build for almost two decades!"

"Well, we could put the bird from the hat on the right sleeve, it might be a bit much, but..."

"Absolutely not! It has to say 'Orioles'. Spell it out, man, or otherwise people will start getting confused and think we're the Baltimore... Swallows... or the... Pigeons. It'll be chaos out there!"

*sigh* "As you wish, Mr. Angelos..."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, but they didn't need to make it as obvious on Baltimore. And look at the side by side jerseys above, the anlgle of both wordmarks is very noticeable different.

It appears they've matched the size of the "B" in Baltimore to that of the "O" in Orioles. Causing all kinds of problems with that decision. The B is waaaaaaaaaaay to big for the rest of the script (no way it should be taller than the "l" and "t". And the t-i-m transition is awful.

But when you think about it, the home script, having been cobbled together out of two different elements, is a mess, too. Look at how badly the second o matches the i, and how bad the transition has become from the o to the l.

If you look at the "official" version of the Orioles script (on the BP jersey), you can see the "pinching" evident in the Baltimore script.

Here are two BP jersey scripts to show the difference. The first one matches the current home jersey script. The second is the "official" version of the script.

DSC03443.jpg

DSC03442.jpg

See how out of control the second o and l have gotten?

If you look hard at the lower photo, you really see parentage of the Baltimore script.

Maybe it's because I'm from Maryland, the home of the best flag in the Union, but this is a thing of beauty.

BaltimoreOriolesCrest.png

I went to college in Baltimore and i absolutely agree with you. I love Maryland's state flag and was hoping one day the Orioles would somehow incorporate in the identity like the Ravens. I luv the logo, nice, simple and good look.

Am I the only one who really doesn't like the new Baltimore script?

The way it goes from a GIGANTIC B to a tiny e at the end? The way the T is split?

The jersey would look a million times better with this Baltimore script instead, or probably a cleaned-up version of it.

The Maryland patch looks REALLY forced to me. Like a cheap attempt to gain fan support through a jersey and not the team. And script sleeve patches are lame.

The only positive I see is the hat. Love the new logo upgrade, and the orange brim on the roads.

Sorry guys.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

The current curly W is slightly, yet noticeably, different from the old one used by the late Senators, so somebody played around with it at some point. This is the old one:

Not true. The curly Ws in popular use on throwback caps (like in the photo you provide) before the Nats came to town are very inaccurate. Look at baseball cards and press photos and even merchandise from the late 1960s through '71, and you'll see that the curly W that the Senators actually wore very closely resembled the curly W the Nationals use. I think the problem stems from a lack of brand quality control; some of the late 1960s merchandise you see does have ugly variations on the real curly W logo, and it seems that those variant merchandising logos are what later throwback merchandisers turned to when creating Senators caps and pennants. But the curly W that appeared on Senators uniforms is very, very close to what we see on Nats uniforms today.

(But this is a common myth among Nats fans, so you're in good company for subscribing to it. I held the same assumption until a couple of SABR buddies clued me in.)

Thanks for the information. It's a shame there isn't better quality control in place for MLB throwbacks. It's something that you'd think the league would want to take seriously.

And count me in as someone who prefers the non-curly W, as well. I wouldn't mind seeing the team use a more refined version of this cap:

pMLB2-4833250dt.jpg

I really like the new Oriole hat logo and primary. I always thought the bird was too fat and wide to work as a hat logo, but this new one works a bit better. Having the bird on the hat is unique and no other hat looks like it, that is for sure. The primary is stronger than I thought it would appear. The Baltimore road script does appear unbalanced, but it may be tweaked in future years, but at least it is back.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Maybe it's because I'm from Maryland, the home of the best flag in the Union, but this is a thing of beauty.

BaltimoreOriolesCrest.png

I went to college in Baltimore and i absolutely agree with you. I love Maryland's state flag and was hoping one day the Orioles would somehow incorporate in the identity like the Ravens. I luv the logo, nice, simple and good look.

I agree that Maryland has the best flag of the State Flags. I like how the flag seems to be incorporated into things all over the state.

The whole idea of the Maryland flag patch is questionable in my eyes. But if they were gonna do it, I'd have liked to either see a straight up Maryland patch separated from any team imagery, or the flag used much more subtly. But the version reading, "Orioles Baseball" is wholly unnecessary to me. Also, why in the world wouldn't they put the updated bird on the other sleeve instead of the Orioles script? Not that I like sleeve patches in baseball anyway, except for commemorating special events.

Thumbs up to the updated bird, though.

All the Maryland patch is, just the "swinging bird" logo with the bird removed. The whole set is very uninspired, very forced.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived