MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem in that respect is that they essentially designed away from a classic cap (and did so unnecessarily, IMHO). It may just be me, but I liked the Red Sox overall look better before the emphasis on red (jackets, undershirts, etc.).

Solution: go back to this cap:

04F.jpg

This is the great Red Sox hat that I grew up with. Unfortunately they ditched this cap in 1979 when they brought back the buttondown/belt uni style, which is essentially the current set, at least at home. I'd say that this cap could be nicely paired with the current home uni, all the more given the red undershirts; while the current solid blue cap could be used only on the road.

Don't they have an alt cap that is similar to this one?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

This is the great Red Sox hat that I grew up with. Unfortunately they ditched this cap in 1979 when they brought back the buttondown/belt uni style, which is essentially the current set, at least at home. I'd say that this cap could be nicely paired with the current home uni, all the more given the red undershirts; while the current solid blue cap could be used only on the road.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?prod....1452682.707973

It's their home BP hat, but that's about as close as it gets.

I had an adjustable version of the red w/ navy bill Red Sox hats when I was growing up. It'd be interesting to see them go back to it.

330zl3b.png

I had an adjustable version of the red w/ navy bill Red Sox hats when I was growing up. It'd be interesting to see them go back to it.

For awhile in the late 90's they had a red crown/navy bill cap with a white B that they sometimes wore. One year around 1999 think, the also had a white crown/navy bill cap with a red B that they would wear in alternating fashion with the other 2 caps: the red one, then the white one, then the navy. Red - white - blue. Only lasted for maybe a month to a month and a half of the season, done around May, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's how red hats would look:

redhat.jpg

I just don't see it happening. I really don't think we can change the hat. (I have no preference on the undershirts but I really like the new red merchandise and emphasis, though I don't think you could go wrong with either red or blue, except for alternate or BP jerseys.

Here's how red hats would look:

redhat.jpg

I just don't see it happening. I really don't think we can change the hat. (I have no preference on the undershirts but I really like the new red merchandise and emphasis, though I don't think you could go wrong with either red or blue, except for alternate or BP jerseys.

I remember those white ones. Even as a Yankee fan, I kinda liked those

For awhile in the late 90's they had a red crown/navy bill cap with a white B that they sometimes wore. One year around 1999 think, the also had a white crown/navy bill cap with a red B that they would wear in alternating fashion with the other 2 caps: the red one, then the white one, then the navy. Red - white - blue. Only lasted for maybe a month to a month and a half of the season, done around May, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

According to this from Uniwatch, those caps only saw the light of day for a game or two in 1997...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070823

1997: The Red Sox, supposedly a stronghold of tradition, trot out two alternate caps during the course of the season: one with a white "B" and one with a white crown (additional views here and here). Both caps quickly end up on the scrap heap, but not before they add six more years to the team's World Series curse.

And gingerbreadman, the mock up of the red cap with the current jerseys looks absolutely perfect!!

1997: The Red Sox, supposedly a stronghold of tradition, trot out two alternate caps during the course of the season: one with a white "B" and one with a white crown (additional views here and here). Both caps quickly end up on the scrap heap, but not before they add six more years to the team's World Series curse.

Where was that last pic taken? Looks like he's at SkyDome, but wearing the home Red Sox uniform.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Where was that last pic taken? Looks like he's at SkyDome, but wearing the home Red Sox uniform.

Looks like it's just the outfield wall at Fenway.

Yeah that's definitely center field at Fenway -- you can see the giant gate to Nomar's left, along with the yellow home run indicator to his right.

Yeah that's definitely center field at Fenway -- you can see the giant gate to Nomar's left, along with the yellow home run indicator to his right.

Weird... I always thought Fenway's fences were green. Just the monster then?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Weird... I always thought Fenway's fences were green. Just the monster then?

It's "Fenway Green", the lighter, rather pastel looking shade of green. We use it here some at Hammons Field.

Archived