MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, um, maybe someone's already mentioned this...but I just saw this new screenshot from MLB 09: The Show...and there appears to be a Cubs logo on Carlos Zambrano's leg. Are the Cubbies actually doing this?

mlb09theshow0106dtd1.jpg

It appears to have the updated helmet, so maybe it's correct?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm pretty sure that "Anaheim" is a Disney creation. Both professional sports teams were owned by Disney at some point and I think they wanted to play up the fact that Anaheim was a major league city.

philly.png

Yeah, but the hat said A's, so the home jerseys still identified the team by city and nickname, just on different body parts. This is just another silly case of the Los Angeles Angels trying to disavow any sort of geographic location, as if they unlike all other teams transcend the mere notion of representing a place. New York can have its Yankees, and San Francisco its Giants, but this is ANGELS BASEBALL. The Angels are the American League's Los Angeles team, the Angels have always been the American League's Los Angeles team, and they play in a suburb of Los Angeles. Settle the "of Anaheim" nonsense, knock off the "ANGELS BASEBALL" posturing, and just be once and for all the Los Angeles Angels. Moreno changed the name for a good reason, viz. that it's provincial and small-time to represent a suburb on a national scale, and more money can be made by marketing the team to all of Greater Los Angeles, to which they're entitled. It's all just so silly.

I'm not tryin to start anything, but Anaheim isn't a suburb of Los Angeles, thats a big reason there was such an outcry over the name change, people from the Orange County/Anaheim area like to be distinguished from the Los Angeles area because they are two different places.

Anaheim is a component in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Statistical Area, AKA Greater Los Angeles. Whether it's a suburb by the traditional definition or not, according to the Census beaureau, it is part of an overall greater area, and not the center of it's own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles_Area

Even if it may be linked to the Los Angeles area due to the enormous size of the city, it's not even in the same county. Anaheim is NOT a "suburb" of Los Angeles, in any sense really. I can see how it would be considered in the Los Angeles Market, but considering Anaheim a suburb of LA is like considering San Jose a suburb of San francisco. It's just not correct.

No one seemed to have an issue when the Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim.

First, when the Rams moved to LA in 1946, Anaheim probably did not exist save some farm land. They played in the LA Coliseum until 1979. So when they moved to Anaheim in 1980, the name Los Angeles Rams was entrenched. That being said, the "of Anaheim" should finally being dropped since all sports channels refer to them as the "Los Angeles Angels".

No. I'm just noting that I can't think of any subset of a metropolitan area that disavows its status as such quite like Orange County. Why is this? Northwest Indiana is a unique little corner of Greater Chicago, insofar as it's in another state, but I don't think people who live there say "whoawhoawhoaWHOA. We are NOT Chicagoland. We are NORTHWEST INDIANA. It's DIFFERENT, you see." No, not really. Nowhere else are people as chirpy about not being part of a city's metropolitan area, and it occurred to me that the demographics of southern California are such that one could wonder if that's part of the puzzle. I mean, look:
Orange County is much different than LA County and they are two different places.

Well yeah. By definition, any two places are two different places, unless southern California defies the laws of physics. I think there are lines to read between here. Even reading between said lines, what's the point? City centers are different than their suburbs, their rich suburbs are different than their poor suburbs, but they're all in it together, so to speak. It's an artificial delineation to make.

That's interesting. I didn't know that about L.A. and Anahiem. I live in Detroit, and I can tell you that is exactly the same reaction a lot of suburbanites here (Ann Arbor, Oakland County) have to being told they are "Detroiters"... and believe me, here it has a LOT to do with race.

So, um, maybe someone's already mentioned this...but I just saw this new screenshot from MLB 09: The Show...and there appears to be a Cubs logo on Carlos Zambrano's leg. Are the Cubbies actually doing this?

mlb09theshow0106dtd1.jpg

Actually, those are the exact same uniforms the Cubs had in MLB 08 The Show. For some reason, the Cubs had the all blue helmets on the road in last year's game, even though they wore the red-billed caps in the field. As a huge Cubs fan and player of the game, it was always one of my big frustrations last year. Also, the patch on the leg is way oversized in the game, that is not the look the Cubs will be going with in real life.

mlb09theshow0106dtd1.jpg

Actually, those are the exact same uniforms the Cubs had in MLB 08 The Show. For some reason, the Cubs had the all blue helmets on the road in last year's game, even though they wore the red-billed caps in the field. As a huge Cubs fan and player of the game, it was always one of my big frustrations last year. Also, the patch on the leg is way oversized in the game, that is not the look the Cubs will be going with in real life.

Well we know that they are adopting the all-blue cap this year. Maybe the cap and logo were changes that they were going to go with last season but scrapped at the last minute (too late for the game to change.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ok, so I was looking at photos from the Rocco Baldelli press conference and I was wondering if the Red Sox have inceeased the thickness of the navy outline on the numbers on the back of the home uniforms?

Looks to me like they have, but does anyone else think so as well?

BDD_RB_number5_1.8.09_ap.jpg

patriotssignature.png

Ok, so I was looking at photos from the Rocco Baldelli press conference and I was wondering if the Red Sox have inceeased the thickness of the navy outline on the numbers on the back of the home uniforms?

Looks to me like they have, but does anyone else think so as well?

BDD_RB_number5_1.8.09_ap.jpg

First player since Nomar to wear the 5.

Always cool to see a fellow Rhode Islander get the chance to play for the Sox. :D

No. I'm just noting that I can't think of any subset of a metropolitan area that disavows its status as such quite like Orange County. Why is this? Northwest Indiana is a unique little corner of Greater Chicago, insofar as it's in another state, but I don't think people who live there say "whoawhoawhoaWHOA. We are NOT Chicagoland. We are NORTHWEST INDIANA. It's DIFFERENT, you see." No, not really. Nowhere else are people as chirpy about not being part of a city's metropolitan area, and it occurred to me that the demographics of southern California are such that one could wonder if that's part of the puzzle. I mean, look:
Orange County is much different than LA County and they are two different places.

Well yeah. By definition, any two places are two different places, unless southern California defies the laws of physics. I think there are lines to read between here. Even reading between said lines, what's the point? City centers are different than their suburbs, their rich suburbs are different than their poor suburbs, but they're all in it together, so to speak. It's an artificial delineation to make.

That's interesting. I didn't know that about L.A. and Anahiem. I live in Detroit, and I can tell you that is exactly the same reaction a lot of suburbanites here (Ann Arbor, Oakland County) have to being told they are "Detroiters"... and believe me, here it has a LOT to do with race.

Not to belabor the point, but the Orange County "We're not a suburb of LA" thing has its historical roots in race. I'm not willing to say that it's a significant factor now, but in the past that was one of the reasons why OC wanted to pretend that they were distinct and separate from the major city just to the north and west.

Love the Red Sox numbers. That outline sure looks thicker.

I think anaheim has grown enough to have its own identity. its like saying oakland is a suburb of san francisco. why not the san francisco raiders/A's then?

SF and Oakland is a different animal, since there's a significant boundary between the two places. Plus, population-wise, SF is right around 800K, and Oakland is about 400K.

The LA/Anaheim issue is different. There's no natural boundary between the two regions, and in terms of population, LA is around 4 mil, and Anaheim is around 350K. Plus, as has been stated, Angel games are on LA stations, and heck, all the major network affiliates are LA affiliates.

Plus, Anaheim isn't even the most populous city in Orange County. That belongs to Santa Ana. So, I wholeheartedly agree that Anaheim's ego trip is a Disney/demographic creation.

VmWIn6B.png

Well, it's annoying that the Texas Ranger's home uniforms just say Texas... but I'm actually a fan of the black dropshadow. Why? Because if we didn't have that, we'd have the same color scheme as probably about 8 other teams in the league. I like a little identity. As for a red Ranger's jersey... love it. I might have to get one.

Well we changed our jerseys up a bit. Time for a successful season, in the footsteps of Rays, Angels, Ducks, Broncos, Chargers, etc. etc. I can't wait. :)

Archived