MLB 2009

mania

I liked it as Anaheim Angels because:

- Alliteration

- They actually play in Anaheim, not Los Angeles

- Anaheim and Orange County have a different identity separate of LA

- The Anaheim away uni looked good, with the starting A having a halo like the home unis

- The A and halo cap logo could stand for Anaheim and Angels

- When I think of Los Angeles baseball I think of the Dodgers

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They will always be the Anaheim Angels to me.

Yes, because a team having it's 3rd designation for only 8 years before switching to it's 4th, and mainly a revert back to it's original, is always the more nostalgic choice.

Either drop "of Anaheim" or go back to "California".

Seconded, except for the option of going back to "California". Even though that's the way I knew them in my formative years, I find it ridiculous when there are four other teams in the state.

But when they became the California Angels in 1965, the San Diego Padres and Oakland A's did not exist yet. The Padres came into the league in 1969 and the A's relocated in 1967. So maybe they were trying to building a brand as a "California" team and not specifically Los Angeles or San Francisco.

I see your point, but even at that time there were two other California teams. Why not just represent your region? I think it's kind of pompous to try to claim to be an entire state's team, when there are more than one. And for such a big state, too...I don't care for the Rangers and Marlins doing it, either.

Unless I'm mistaken, or unless circumstances have changed yet again (I gave up trying to keep up long ago), my understanding is that when, or is it "if" again?, the Marlins get a new ballpark in greater downtown Miami, that they are going to be renamed/re-Christened the Miami Marlins, which would in effect, mean that both Floridian baseball teams will have made some kind of name change.

Yes, because a team having it's 3rd designation for only 8 years before switching to it's 4th, and mainly a revert back to it's original, is always the more nostalgic choice.

Seconded, except for the option of going back to "California". Even though that's the way I knew them in my formative years, I find it ridiculous when there are four other teams in the state.

But when they became the California Angels in 1965, the San Diego Padres and Oakland A's did not exist yet. The Padres came into the league in 1969 and the A's relocated in 1967. So maybe they were trying to building a brand as a "California" team and not specifically Los Angeles or San Francisco.

I see your point, but even at that time there were two other California teams. Why not just represent your region? I think it's kind of pompous to try to claim to be an entire state's team, when there are more than one. And for such a big state, too...I don't care for the Rangers and Marlins doing it, either.

Unless I'm mistaken, or unless circumstances have changed yet again (I gave up trying to keep up long ago), my understanding is that when, or is it "if" again?, the Marlins get a new ballpark in greater downtown Miami, that they are going to be renamed/re-Christened the Miami Marlins, which would in effect, mean that both Floridian baseball teams will have made some kind of name change.

It is a little of "when" and "if". Yes, they will be re-named the Miami Marlins. From what I read the official name change would occur before they moved into the new stadium.

It is a little of "when" and "if". Yes, they will be re-named the Miami Marlins. From what I read the official name change would occur before they moved into the new stadium.

First season IN new stadium = First season as Miami Marlins.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to Joe at Jersey-Joe.com about when the 2009 jerseys would be available. He said he can order anything in the Majestic catalog now, even though it's not all on the site. That includes the new Pirates, O's, Rangers, Twins retro alt, Padres Camo COOLBASE, etc.

The thing of particular interest was that he said, "Almost everything is COOLBASE only. They aren't making most of the teams in doubleknit anymore. The Yanks are still doubleknit, though."

That goes with what the MLB.com article said about the Rangers new set being exclusively COOLBASE. I saw the Red Sox are still available in both doubleknit and COOLBASE, and the Yanks aren't changing, but it sounds like almost everyone else is making the switch if at all possible if they haven't already.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I talked to Joe at Jersey-Joe.com about when the 2009 jerseys would be available. He said he can order anything in the Majestic catalog now, even though it's not all on the site. That includes the new Pirates, O's, Rangers, Twins retro alt, Padres Camo COOLBASE, etc.

The thing of particular interest was that he said, "Almost everything is COOLBASE only. They aren't making most of the teams in doubleknit anymore. The Yanks are still doubleknit, though."

That goes with what the MLB.com article said about the Rangers new set being exclusively COOLBASE. I saw the Red Sox are still available in both doubleknit and COOLBASE, and the Yanks aren't changing, but it sounds like almost everyone else is making the switch if at all possible if they haven't already.

Will the padres Camo coolbase be the same as last years camo jersey ?

pMLB2-5467120dt.jpg

An absolutely pointless change. Their home jerseys always had the word Rangers on it. I don't see how this could be considered as an improvment.

I'm with you in preferring the previous Rangers home jersey. With, you know, the team name on it.

But I'm willing to make an exception in this case to the general rules of what goes on your home jersey. After all, it is Texas. If there's one place where it makes cultural sense for a pro team to have the state name on their home jerseys, it's Texas. So this is silly, but not wrong.

Shoot, they named their football team the Houstan Texans. They're pretty proud of their state no doubt, but that just looks weird on the home jersey. I prefer the sleeveless jersey with the T on it to those new TEXAS home jerseys. It's like they took one step forward with the red alternates, and then about 4 steps back by changing the home jersey.

I'm seriously wondering anymore if teams really care what their fans think regarding how they look. I feel like ownership goes, "HEY WE HAVE A GREAT IDEA AND WE'RE GONNA PUT IT ON THE UNIFORMS JUST BECAUSE WE CAN!" :huh:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived