MLB 2009

mania

I still think they missed a golden opportunity to creative an identity with a color scheme that would have been unique to MLB: Navy (or deep cobalt as I've heard it called) Light Blue, and Yellow.

Instead they opted for an overly bland, overly common treatment.

Too bad, because the potential was there.

That's how I felt at first. Now, it's really grown on me, the simplicity and classy feel of the set. I really like it as is. I would like to see Tampa Bay on the aways and a navy alt with light blue piping, but that's about it.

Yeah, "Tampa Bay" absolutely belongs on the road unis. The simplicity has definitely grown on me, though the wordmark still bugs me. I can't stand the swooping 'R' and the faint pointless glimmer or shine of light. Horrible.

I really like the cap though. :)

At least I can end my mini rant on a positive note. ^_^

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there has been some Nationals' talk in this thread, but I don't know if this has been posted or not:

In other news, the Nationals have tentatively scheduled to unveil their new uniforms on Nov. 6 at the ESPN Zone, according to two baseball sources. Acta and outfielders Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge are scheduled to be at the event.

Nationals

I know there has been some Nationals' talk in this thread, but I don't know if this has been posted or not:
In other news, the Nationals have tentatively scheduled to unveil their new uniforms on Nov. 6 at the ESPN Zone, according to two baseball sources. Acta and outfielders Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge are scheduled to be at the event.

Nationals

where did you see that? i didnt see in the article. i like their unis and theyre only 4 years old...are they going to change because the need the revenue money from merchendise sales?

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Here's another lesser-known fact about the Rays:

The "TB" monogram on their caps was designed by Tom O'Grady's group - Gameplan Creative.

I know Tom has a bad rep on this board (I really can't defend his behavior here either), but he IS a friend of mine. He and I were talking on the phone one day and he mentioned that when the Rays unveiled their identity is when they discovered that the Rays had decided to use a throwaway, discarded monogram that Gameplan had designed.

They had NO idea that it was even being considered. They had designed a bunch of monograms - a lot of the interlocking "TB" variety - and threw in the one that was eventually chosen as an afterthought.

Some other group designed the rest of the identity...can't remember now who it was.

Would you please ask Tom if Gameplan Creative intentionally made the ?T? uneven/unbalanced?

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Believe me, if the Rays could have actual devil rays in a tank, it would have to be much larger than a touch tank, as devil rays are much larger and would need a habitat to accommodate something larger.

Way cool, but can they pitch?

Team officials say that the rays will be safe from home run balls.

By MELANIE AVE

Published July 13, 2006

So why were cownose rays chosen for the tank instead of the team?s real namesake, devil rays?

Uricchio said devil rays grow to be much larger than the cownose variety, whose flattened nose actually resembles a cow. A devil ray can be 15 to 20 feet across, while a cownose ray typically tops out at less than 4 feet.

Plus, devil rays eat plankton, which is harder to provide in an aquarium setting.

0I3kSAc.png

Correct me if I'm off-base here, but isn't that "sunburst" actually supposed to be a "glint" of sunlight reflecting off of the water?

I've always looked at the Rays' new identity as a dual-purpose one - a ray of sunshine, and a ray (manta, sting, or otherwise). Both water-based.

This is where I'm confused.

Sternberg said this-

"We are now the 'Rays' - a beacon that radiates throughout Tampa Bay and across the entire state of Florida," said Stuart Sternberg, the team's principal owner. "Tampa Bay and the Sunshine State are beautiful places. We want the Rays to reflect the best our region has to offer."

So the below quote stating why the Devil Rays patch, get over the fact it says Devil, both ESPN and the official Rays website called it a Devil Ray patch, is conflicting with the idea of the Ray of sunshine being the meaning of the name. And nothing to do with the sea creature.

This kinda confuses me.

An updated Devil Rays patch is on the left sleeve of the new jerseys. The club will also continue to operate a popular touch tank filled with cownose rays during games at Tropicana Field.

"I'm still a nostalgic sort of guy," Sternberg said. "And while I don't want to look back to the past, I think the region should be proud of having a major league baseball team and shouldn't forget all that was involved in bringing it here."

As for those questioning the logo on the arm as just a ray, from this ESPN article is seems it is still a Devil Ray lol.

I hope the Pirates never change their name to the Rates, this is too confusing.

2ly2w09.jpg

Nationals

where did you see that? i didnt see in the article. i like their unis and theyre only 4 years old...are they going to change because the need the revenue money from merchendise sales?

I know. I could name 8 teams from the top of my head who can use a change alot more than the Nats. <_<

I think the Rays would look good in powder blue road uniforms or an alternate top of that color. Powder blue is a part of their color scheme.

Yeah, but unfortunately its only used as a faint accent color. But I agree with your suggestion.

An updated Devil Rays patch is on the left sleeve of the new jerseys. The club will also continue to operate a popular touch tank filled with cownose rays during games at Tropicana Field.

"I'm still a nostalgic sort of guy," Sternberg said. "And while I don't want to look back to the past, I think the region should be proud of having a major league baseball team and shouldn't forget all that was involved in bringing it here."

As for those questioning the logo on the arm as just a ray, from this ESPN article is seems it is still a Devil Ray lol.

It is definitely still a devil ray. I don't think I've ever read that quote from Sternberg. I'm glad to know he feels that way and I hope they never get rid of that patch.

0I3kSAc.png

It is definitely still a devil ray. I don't think I've ever read that quote from Sternberg. I'm glad to know he feels that way and I hope they never get rid of that patch.

But a Devil Ray is still a Ray...Sunlight Rays and Devil Rays are both kinds of rays and can both be symbols of a team called the Rays...

edit - ehh how can I just delete a post, this is completely redundant

Nationals

I just clicked on the link, and it appears that they removed it from the article for one reason or another. But it's now in this article about Pat Corrales. It's at the very bottom.

Here's an interesting rumor - and I emphasize RUMOR - about the Mets for next year, from a thread about CitiField on the Baseball Fever.com message board:

Actually ... someone who works for me is close, personal friends with an executive in the Mets front office (its real, he gets me great tickets all the time).

This executive gave him a bunch of Mets branded stuff. He gave me one of these items and I was thankful so I wanted to pay him for it. He said nope, he got it free. He said the Mets are getting rid of all that stuff because they are changing the logo around next year. I was like eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif.

Then I remembered reading some poster months ago on I believe Mets.com that said he had inside info that the Mets were changing the Skyline in the Mets logo to include the Citibank building and that there was going to be an off white home uniform .. similar to the SF Giants .... everyone kinda dismissed him.

Now knowing the legit connection my employee has, maybe it is true .. I could see the Mets going to the creme uniforms ... If you watched the closing ceremony it seems the uniforms used to be that color .... As far as the logo .. I have no idea ... The Citibank building thing seems plausible. My employee had no information as to what the change is .... he is a casual fan and didn't even think to ask ... I guess if its true we'll find out soon enough ...

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

But a Devil Ray is still a Ray...Sunlight Rays and Devil Rays are both kinds of rays and can both be symbols of a team called the Rays...

edit - ehh how can I just delete a post, this is completely redundant

Not sure if you are talking about what you said being redundant since my post, but in case not, Sternberg clearly states they are the Rays of sunshine radiating through the state and nothing alludes to the animal.

2ly2w09.jpg

I still feel the Rays' set would benefit from the addition of a front number.

I think it just needs two things:

1) The "TB" to interlock like the Yankees, Giants, Mets, etc.

2) The road jersey to read "TAMPA BAY"

bYhYmxh.png

Archived