MLB 2009

mania

I love the Braves' alt cap too, just not with the aways. Too much red on the jersey and absolutely no red on the cap makes for a terrible look. Keep it with the navy alt. And on the photoshop previously showing the navy alt with red lettering/tomahawk, that looks nice, but all they'd need to do is make "Atlanta" and the numbers (are the names navy or white?) white, and maybe add some piping to match the other 3 jerseys and they'd be fine. Don't mind the mostly navy look for the one alt, but it's a little too much navy only.

100% agree. They do need to add piping to match the look of the other jerseys, and they did a nice job of taking enough red out of the navy alternate where the new Navy hat would work. But that hat does not belong with the classy looking road uniforms. Changing the color of the numbers would even go a long way towards improving that look.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I (and others) like the navy alt cap, it'll never go with the road jerseys. Even if all the navy and red on the jersey are inverted, the complete lack of red on the cap will always make them a mismatch. Unless they made the 'A' either red, white trimmed in red, or red trimmed in white. And I'm not quite sure how well those would look. I always pictured them using a navy cap with white 'A' as the road, but now actually seeing it confirms that it doesn't work.

I agree. I'm a fan of Dressed to the Nines also. But if they don't include the alternate jerseys, then it's not a complete set.

Dressed to the Nines is pretty good, but with our resources and spare time, I bet we could come up with a better template and clearer graphics.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree. I'm a fan of Dressed to the Nines also. But if they don't include the alternate jerseys, then it's not a complete set.

Dressed to the Nines is pretty good, but with our resources and spare time, I bet we could come up with a better template and clearer graphics.

Working on it :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No doubt about that. The uniform database does not seem to be a high priority for the baseball Hall of Fame. If you are not gonna post them all, don't post them IMO. Marc Okkonen included all of the uniforms in his book. (By the way, if you are a baseball fan, the book is a must have!)

So this is the new trend, scripts that are the same color as the jersey.

pMLB2-4680478t130.gifpMLB2-5472322t130.gifpMLB2-5598951t130.gifpMLB2-5432226t130.gif

Well....the Rays are the ones who pulled it off the best.

Yea, but if the Rays would just make their wordmark white, that would be a great looking jersey.

I think if the Rays went with a powder blue uniform, with the navy lettering, that it would be even better!!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I don't think anything the Rays could do with their current package would look good, but that's just me. When art or design comes from pressure by evangelical Christians, the odds they are against you.

Oh wow, that admiral is hilariousssssssssssssssss. *sarcasm*

This is a design forum, not a place for discussion on beliefs. Yeah? Thanks.

He was just messing around bro. I don't get all bent out of shape when someone says the Braves set sucks. (Which is doesn't! ;))

So this is the new trend, scripts that are the same color as the jersey.

pMLB2-4680478t130.gifpMLB2-5472322t130.gifpMLB2-5598951t130.gifpMLB2-5432226t130.gif

Well....the Rays are the ones who pulled it off the best.

Yea, but if the Rays would just make their wordmark white, that would be a great looking jersey.

I think if the Rays went with a powder blue uniform, with the navy lettering, that it would be even better!!

Amen to that brotha...I have a Longoria player tee in that style and it looks great.

I am discussing design, and the fact that this particular change was said to have been encouraged by a particular prominent sociocultural contingent of the Tampa-St. Petersburg region (No, not retired New Yorkers!) who had serious, although misconstrued, objections to the "Devil Rays" name. The "ray of sunlight" angle was a not particularly transparent overture to said contingent. The "ray of sunlight" angle was half-baked and dopey. Even if you don't look at it as "okay, Christians, will you stop protesting our name now?", it's a bland and unredeeming design that could be for any team in any town, provided they have a baseball team and a sun above their heads (though one could argue the Rays themselves don't). You can assail the Rays' logos from any number of angles. I chose to take the "evangelicals really didn't like the old one" angle. Sorry!

Admiral, no worries dude. I just got out of reading some thread on another forum of someone doggin' my Wolfpack! Guess I was just lookin' for a fight! Haha, no worries, and as a Durham Bulls fan and a frequent Rays watcher, I hate the fact Devil is gone.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

Wait...a better template? I need to know of this if you want me to keep adding unis...

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I am discussing design, and the fact that this particular change was said to have been encouraged by a particular prominent sociocultural contingent of the Tampa-St. Petersburg region (No, not retired New Yorkers!) who had serious, although misconstrued, objections to the "Devil Rays" name. The "ray of sunlight" angle was a not particularly transparent overture to said contingent. The "ray of sunlight" angle was half-baked and dopey. Even if you don't look at it as "okay, Christians, will you stop protesting our name now?", it's a bland and unredeeming design that could be for any team in any town, provided they have a baseball team and a sun above their heads (though one could argue the Rays themselves don't). You can assail the Rays' logos from any number of angles. I chose to take the "evangelicals really didn't like the old one" angle. Sorry!

But the idea that the new Rays logo had anything to do with ignorant Christian protest just isn't true. Organized objection to the team name had petered out years ago. There just wasn't any meaningful pressure to speak of anymore on that score.

This was not an example of kowtowing to ignorant Christians leading to bad design. This was an example of new owners legitimately wanting to put a new face on a loser franchise and just being half-assed about it. I mean, honestly, most of the country called them the Rays anyway.

Besides, even if theory that the Rays name change was motivated by ignorant Christian protest were true, that wouldn't have any bearing on the quality of the resulting design.

But perhaps I'm just a bit defensive here, because for years my objection to "Devil Rays" as a stupid team name got me accused of being a part of a vast conspiracy of ignorant Christians that, when I looked into it, turned out largely not to exist outside the imaginations of a few late-1990s journalists who thought the concept of ignorant Christians protesting a team name would make great copy, and who therefore sought out a few fringe pastors for juicy quotes.

20082614447.png

Wait...a better template? I need to know of this if you want me to keep adding unis...

No, what I'm saying is our template is better and the graphics are clearer.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You're right, but that's because the game has the design wrong. They put a white border around the sleeve patch, which ruins the whole thing. The actual jerseys are beautiful.

But the idea that the new Rays logo had anything to do with ignorant Christian protest just isn't true. Organized objection to the team name had petered out years ago. There just wasn't any meaningful pressure to speak of anymore on that score.

Maybe not, but that was the reason given by a representative of the team when the first "Rays" jerseys were unveiled.

So all blame for the stupid statement resides solely at One Tropicana Drive in St. Petersburg.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45217.html

I didn't know where to post this, but the purpose of it is to show the new Red Sox jerseys in action (abit in video game form). I have to say, they look really stupid.

3261435715_03834bd6fd_o.jpg

The first thing I see that was clearly not part of the jerseys shown by the Red Sox is the navy piping around the sleeve.

I question whether the navy piping on the video game pants will actually be there in real life and the same goes fo the navy socks shown on Josh Bard, the catcher. I personally don't believe the Red Sox will stop wearing red socks. The trailer shows Beckett and Bard wearing red-sleeved undershirts. I would think that the undershirt color will actually be navy in 2009.

Is there anyone out there, ColorWerx perhaps, who can confirm the details of the uniforms? Dressed to the Nines doesn't show sock color or sleeve color.

al_2009_boston.gif

Archived