MLB 2009

mania

Well, I have some disappointing news: word from within the Warehouse is that, while "Baltimore" will return to the away jerseys, the "O's" hat will remain the Friday alternate hat. The hat they're getting rid of is the all-black hat. The away hats will now be identical to the home hats with orange bills. No new bird. No "B".

Gee, now maybe Pete will spring for an orange billed batting helmet.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks much better with Tampa Bay on the roads. All teams should have the city name on the road jerseys. I am not a big fan of the TB logo, myself. It isn't horrible like the Blue Jays, but it looks like something I could create in Microsoft Word. I also think the unis would improve by changing the white outline on the numbers to light blue and adding an outline on the names, also. I don't like that they have two accent colors (columbia and yellow) which are both almost non-existent on their unis. As it is, I like the little aspect that they bother to add a white layer under the navy numbers on the home jersey, even though you only see it up close. The Dodgers did that on their home jerseys up until their Coolbase jerseys came out.

- I'm indifferent to the "Tampa Bay" on the roads. The biggest issue I have is the "RAYS" is stylized, while "TAMPA BAY" would be in an even more generic font, which would be inconsistent and therefore bad.

- I like the way the TB is on the hats, although I think the light blue outline should be slightly larger, so that it becomes more visible.

- I disagree, in that, I actually like having 2 accent colors....but I agree that they should be more prominent. They could potentially make the jerseys REALLY "pop", and it make them fantastic.

- I agree about the white outline on the homes. I think it adds that little "extra" to the jersey.

SigReflect.png

The "Baltimore" road uniforms were again confirmed in the Baltimore Sun newspaper today.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/sch...oles_rally.html

There has been a lot of speculation on the various O's message boards that it will be to unveil the team's new uniforms, the road version of which will -- as reported in The Baltimore Sun this summer -- have BALTIMORE on the front.

We've done a little poking around and determined that some of the posters and bloggers around here are pretty smart. Indeed, the rally will be to launch the new uniforms, which will feature some other changes along with the return of the geographical designator on the out-of-town jerseys.

The Orioles are pretty mum on this because they don't want to let the cap out of the bag, so to speak, but there are rumors they've come up with a new, fiercer bird logo.

Bill813.png

I disagree, in that, I actually like having 2 accent colors....but I agree that they should be more prominent. They could potentially make the jerseys REALLY "pop", and it make them fantastic.

I didn't mean they shouldn't have two accent colors, I just don't like that they have two which are hardly used at all. I think the light blue should be featured prominently. Outline the numbers and name in the light blue. I think it would be much more distinctive.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes sirrrr!!! Yeah!!!

When the Baltimore road jerseys gain the street, I'll buy definitely one.

You and me both, friend. I'm especially psyched that the script will actually be based off the current home script instead of just copying the Brooks Robinson era roadies.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The "Baltimore" road uniforms were again confirmed in the Baltimore Sun newspaper today.

Now, if only they would burn those black alts and go to orange alts instead. The black alts (with orange print), is not a real good look.

No one else wears a orange jersey in the majors. The O's used to wear a orange top a lot in the glory years of the franchise. A modern orange alt, with black script "Orioles" trimmed in white, with white pants and a black hat (with orange brim) with current logo on hat, would look nice.

Now, if only they would burn those black alts and go to orange alts instead. The black alts (with orange print), is not a real good look.

No one else wears a orange jersey in the majors. The O's used to wear a orange top a lot in the glory years of the franchise. A modern orange alt, with black script "Orioles" trimmed in white, with white pants and a black hat (with orange brim) with current logo on hat, would look nice.

So maybe something like this, without the side gussets? Maybe with a white outline around the black script?

pMLB2-3572939dt.jpg

Wonder what it would look like with a white script outlined in black.

I thought that was silly when the Dodgers did it, and if they Rays do it then it's silly for them as well.

Best thing the Dodgers did in recent years was remove the unnecessary white from the roads. Wish the Yankees would do the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the difference between the Dodgers' (and Phillies') white-on-white outlines and the Rays' is that Tampa Bay has navy letters outlined in white, which then has a light blue drop shadow. (Or are we talking about an additional white outline around all of that?) The other teams just have/had a white outline around one color. (That doesn't excuse the Rays' back numbers, though.)

I hadn't really even noticed the light blue shadow on the Rays until seeing the World Series in HD. I have a feeling that those jerseys would be added to the list of unis that look even better in person, like their previous ones. I just haven't seen them yet up close.

A local Baltimore radio station claims the Orioles' home uniforms will also be tweaked and there wll be a new cap

http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/20...alute-maryland/

The O?s will debut new uniforms and a new hat on November 12 and lo and behold, the team finally looks like they?re going to get it right.

The team?s new home jersey will be ?modernized? somewhat and the jersey will now sport a patch of the Maryland flag on the shoulder.

Of course, the BIG news is that the team - after 35 years of stupidity (some of what didn?t include the current ownership group) - is returning the word BALTIMORE to the front of the road jersey.

Bill813.png

The first version of the black alt had white trim in it and it was WAY better. Couldn't find a clean picture of it (worn 1993-94) so here's the image from Dressed to the Nines:

al_1993_baltimore.gif

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I thought that was silly when the Dodgers did it, and if they Rays do it then it's silly for them as well.

Best thing the Dodgers did in recent years was remove the unnecessary white from the roads. Wish the Yankees would do the same.

The problem I have with the Dodgers is that when they ditched the outline, they didn't switch to a thicker font, like what the Royals wear. So now the numbers and letters on the back look unusually skinny, especially when compared to the front number.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The problem I have with the Dodgers is that when they ditched the outline, they didn't switch to a thicker font, like what the Royals wear. So now the numbers and letters on the back look unusually skinny, especially when compared to the front number.

ditto.

my biggest pet peave as well. It looks weird to me. I actually prefer the white outlines over what they have now.

The Royals actually use a different font though. Theirs has serifs.

EDIT: apparently they don't anymore. Anyone know when they changed?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/sch...oles_rally.html

There has been a lot of speculation on the various O's message boards that it will be to unveil the team's new uniforms, the road version of which will -- as reported in The Baltimore Sun this summer -- have BALTIMORE on the front.

We've done a little poking around and determined that some of the posters and bloggers around here are pretty smart. Indeed, the rally will be to launch the new uniforms, which will feature some other changes along with the return of the geographical designator on the out-of-town jerseys.

The Orioles are pretty mum on this because they don't want to let the cap out of the bag, so to speak, but there are rumors they've come up with a new, fiercer bird logo.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a "fiercer bird logo." First of all, for better or worse, actual orioles just aren't "fierce" birds. Secondly, this would represent at least the third tweak to the ornithologically correct/realistic bird. I'm perfectly content with the one they have. I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until we see if this is true.

A local Baltimore radio station claims the Orioles' home uniforms will also be tweaked and there wll be a new cap

http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/20...alute-maryland/

The O?s will debut new uniforms and a new hat on November 12 and lo and behold, the team finally looks like they?re going to get it right.

The team?s new home jersey will be ?modernized? somewhat and the jersey will now sport a patch of the Maryland flag on the shoulder.

Of course, the BIG news is that the team - after 35 years of stupidity (some of what didn?t include the current ownership group) - is returning the word BALTIMORE to the front of the road jersey.

I'm curious to see what sort of modernization takes place. This is another situation where I think they could leave well enough alone, because the current home jerseys look pretty damn good already.

As for a Maryland flag patch, that is a great idea. Angelos has always contended that non-Baltimoreans will somehow feel excluded if the road uniforms say Baltimore (you know, like the offended New Hampshire-based Red Sox fans). This will allow him to say that he is still reaching out to the fans outside of the city. It will probably also just look good and provide a bit of a compliment to the Raven's B/R shield logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived