MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't agree more.

pMLB2-2092116dt.jpg

That's beautiful.

The red caps have grown on me (largely as a counterpart to Dodger Blue), but I'd like to see a navy road cap. Or even better, an alt.

3513432348_0e79642da9_o.png

Also, if you wanna do a callback to the awesome 90's threads (PRE-Disney. Last set as "California Angels"), you can make the piping on the aways navy, the lettering and numbers navy trimmed in red, and a solid navy road cap. But that's just more of a mixing of a couple different eras.

Couldn't agree more.

pMLB2-2092116dt.jpg

That's beautiful.

That should be their full time cap . . . period.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I went to that game last night, they looked incredible except that they didn't complete the set with 80s-style helmets blue & red. I give good [props to the graphic department. They not only Shupped the Angels headshots on pop culture items from that decade, they did so for Toronto as well. Before the beginning of the 9th Inning they showed the graphics they made for the reserves who didn't make it in the game. The crowd even got Rick Roll'd, only for a few seconds, not like the Shea Stadium home opener fiasco from last year. It was a great game for Weaver, he received a rousing ovation when he came back to finish his complete game bid.

Biggest kudos possible to the Angels for wearing a '70s / '80s throwback uniform that actually maintains the elastic waistband. Take a hint Blue Jays, Twins and others.

I'm wondering why the Jays didn't dress up in their powder blues for the game

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Maybe because it was a road game and they didn't pack them? I wonder if they even knew that the Angles were having this promotion. You'd think that these things would be communicated, but maybe not always.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe because it was a road game and they didn't pack them? I wonder if they even knew that the Angles were having this promotion. You'd think that these things would be communicated, but maybe not always.

Maybe -- they played along with the powder blues in Baltimore last season

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Biggest kudos possible to the Angels for wearing a '70s / '80s throwback uniform that actually maintains the elastic waistband. Take a hint Blue Jays, Twins and others.

I think the difference is it was a one-time uniform. I've heard others remark that if you're going to trot out these "throwbacks" on a weekly basis, they should be as close to modern as possible, hence the belts for the Blue Jays and Twins (although in the case of the Jays, they did keep the pullover, which also is usually thrown out the window as a regular).

Of course, players have been known not to even want to wear a throwback once because of some uncomfortable aspect by today's standards, so they may be partly to blame as well. (Something as simple as pulling up the pants to show socks, but I'm also thinking White Sox in two instances -- the partial button down of a few years ago, planned for every Sunday but worn only once, I believe, and a jersey from the shorts set that had the collar and was cut short, so they only wore the caps. And did the Brewers modify their '82s midstream?)

On the topic of the Angels, I love those as well, but these days I think I'd prefer it with a red cap. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a replica version of these because they are identical to what my hometown Midwest League team -- the Quad-City Angels -- wore when I was growing up (post-Cubs and pre-River Bandits part I). I still have the blue and red QC-halo cap.

Also, anyone know what the Cubs throwbacks will be this year? After the success of the 1948s last year they have consistently said they'd be doing it again, but have never said from what era. 25 years since the 1984 Cubs, I'd love to see them wear the blue roads at home (since they do it all the time now anyway).

I still have the blue and red QC-halo cap.

Any chance you have a picture of that laying around? I've never seen it, and it sounds interesting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here the only one I had on my computer.

3516775232_e445c567b5.jpg

I'll go through my collection of stored caps and take a better shot later. I just don't make it back to John O'Donnell often enough to keep it at the ready. But it was a mainstay in high school. Still in good shape, though.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. It was still in a prominent place right behind the Cubs caps and alongside its River Bandits and Swing successors:

3515992281_4005d3edbb_m.jpg

Quad-City Angels cap 1985-1992

On the topic of the Angels, I love those as well, but these days I think I'd prefer it with a red cap. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a replica version of these because they are identical to what my hometown Midwest League team -- the Quad-City Angels -- wore when I was growing up (post-Cubs and pre-River Bandits part I). I still have the blue and red QC-halo cap.

00028sat.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Thanks for the pix, guys. The Q on that hat ruins it for me... they could have made it look much better.

Archived