MLB 2009

mania

More of the Phillies' gold-trimmed jersey:

obama%20jersey%202-thumb-530x439-1156701.jpg

obama%20jersey-thumb-530x417-1156681.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing the Phillies gold-trimmed jersey does is to justify the existence of a white outline around the wordmark. It has always bothered me that the Phillies have a white outline around the wordmark on a white jersey. Maybe that prevents a bit of a bleed where the red pinstripes meet the red wordmark, but it has always looked odd to me.

Philadelphia%20Phillies%20Ryan%20Howard.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

One thing the Phillies gold-trimmed jersey does is to justify the existence of a white outline around the wordmark. It has always bothered me that the Phillies have a white outline around the wordmark on a white jersey. Maybe that prevents a bit of a bleed where the red pinstripes meet the red wordmark, but it has always looked odd to me.

Personally, I'd love if the Phils added a blue outline to both the wordmark and the numbers (outside the white outline). I'd actually like the home jerseys then, and they'd actually utilize the blue in their scheme.

Personally, I'd love if the Phils added a blue outline to both the wordmark and the numbers (outside the white outline). I'd actually like the home jerseys then, and they'd actually utilize the blue in their scheme.

Have you seen my recent concept? ^_^

Personally, I'd hate that! The Phillies are one of the very few teams that I'd like to see drop their white outlines from their home and road jerseys. It'd help the script look more like an actual script, and less like a big patch slapped on the chest of the jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Mets yet again wore their home black alternates on the road.

Any official word whether the road black uniforms have been ditched?

It's a second set of the black home alternates. The set they wear at home has the inaugural season for Citi Field patch on it while the ones they wear on the road don't have the patch.

. . . a big patch slapped on the chest of the jersey.

Good description.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was a little disappointed last night when the Brewers didn't wear these: brewers1.png

It's not that big a deal, but does anyone know why they didn't wear the throwbacks? I love those things.

I know that they were worn on May 1st, but as far as I know, that has been the only time this season. What's the deal?

From what I've heard, they are only wearing them the first home Friday game of each month. Still once per month too often if you ask me, but better than every Friday.

Good description.

It's because the white outline is at least twice as it wide as it needs to be. You can really see it on the gol-outlined jersey. Yeesh.

The Phillies are about the only team I don't want to see drop the white outline, because it does separate the single-color wordmark from the same-color pinstripes.

Then again, I don't like red pinstripes. If they're not going back to maroon, I'd rather see them adopt last year's alts.

jimmy.jpg

Good description.

It's because the white outline is at least twice as it wide as it needs to be. You can really see it on the gol-outlined jersey. Yeesh.

The Phillies are about the only team I don't want to see drop the white outline, because it does separate the single-color wordmark from the same-color pinstripes.

Then again, I don't like red pinstripes. If they're not going back to maroon, I'd rather see them adopt last year's alts.

jimmy.jpg

Those alts would only work if they reversed the blue and red every where except for the actual script. There's no reason to have red belts / socks / shoes with a uniform that has a blue cap.

So give 'em back the red cap. Problem fixed, and I still like 'em better than pink pinstripes.

Ugh. The blue works so much better IMO.

As for the pink pinstripes, as I've argued countless times, if they went to the zig-zag style, they'd be a more true red. They really need to do that.

Okay, then how about blue belts and shoes?

Would be a huge improvement. I still think the center stripe on the trim should match the belts and shoes, but it's not a huge deal.

They also have to do something about the NOB and numbers on that jersey. Looks way too cartoony with the blue outline. Some of the numerals are illegible from any reasonable distance.

Would recommend no NOB, and larger numerals, or, if they keep the NOB, go with a different font all together, because it's just not designed to be used with a border.

I actually like the strong balance of blue and red on the Phils alternates. The Phillies are historically a predominantly red team. The blue cap is a cool switch, but any more blue, and you start to look a little like your main rival. Id make some slight changes to have it reflect more upon its time however. Use the actual script and cap P from that era instead of the current stuff. And definately change to and older looking font, maybe even try it w/o names. Oh well, at least they dug deep enough into their pockets to come up with matching batting helmets this year (which Im still getting used to).

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I actually like the strong balance of blue and red on the Phils alternates. The Phillies are historically a predominantly red team. The blue cap is a cool switch, but any more blue, and you start to look a little like your main rival. Id make some slight changes to have it reflect more upon its time however. Use the actual script and cap P from that era instead of the current stuff. And definately change to and older looking font, maybe even try it w/o names. Oh well, at least they dug deep enough into their pockets to come up with matching batting helmets this year (which Im still getting used to).

That is true from 1950 on, but prior to that they used a lot of blue.

These uniforms are clearly supposed to be inspired by the late '40s set, which featured blue socks and undersleeves. It doesn't make sense for them to stop half way with their emulation.

Also, caps matching belts, socks, and shoes should be a guiding principal in baseball uniform design (unless you're wearing black shoes as part of a traditional thing.) I can't think of any exceptions where it doesn't make sense.

nl_1949_philadelphia.gif

Also, caps matching belts, socks, and shoes should be a guiding principal in baseball uniform design (unless you're wearing black shoes as part of a traditional thing.) I can't think of any exceptions where it doesn't make sense.

Red Sox. The navy caps look perfect with red socks. Changing either one makes the whole thing look wrong - see earlier this year.

I'd also add White Sox. They could add white socks to their uniform, and keep all other elements black, and it'd look great.

Red Sox. The navy caps look perfect with red socks. Changing either one makes the whole thing look wrong - see earlier this year.

I'd also add White Sox. They could add white socks to their uniform, and keep all other elements black, and it'd look great.

Well those are both teams who's names dictate that they wear certain color of socks, and that those socks should stand out. Aesthetically, I'd argue that the navy socks actually works better for the Red Sox (if they had no history of red socks) but you're right, they should absolutely wear red socks.

I think that the White Sox should wear white socks too, but aesthetically, the black is the better choice.

Heck, the White Sox don't even need to make their socks entirely white. White with prominent black stripes at the top, or simply a black sock with a six-inch band of white in the middle, above the ankles, would do the trick. Even, in a pinch, black socks with a few narrower bands of white at the top, but only if every player shows some leg.

(Actually, much as I really like the White Sox uniforms except for the socks, I think they could be even bolder and adopt a uniform of white jersey and black pants at home and very dark gray on the road, so that the white socks are always the most prominent thing you see.)

20082614447.png

Archived