Golden State Warriors mulling mascot change

Survival79

I'm really amused at the way they're going about that. They're treating the mascot as a player (sort of) and either "abandoning him" overseas or "trading him" so that confusion is lessened, and a mascot has, keeps, and continues a backstory. Something fun for the kiddies to hear about.

And while we're at it, I have to say I kinda like "Squatch," odd-sounding name aside. (I get the reference, but what it winds up sounding like seems a little un-PC even for the NBA.) However, my main thoughts upon seeing that pic? CHEWIE!

Hard to believe that an iconic Star Wars character would need more work on the side...

Teams take the mythology of their mascots VERY seriously. Back in my last job -- I'm a newspaper writer -- I had a monthly column that focused just on different off-beat characters, so I wanted to do a column on the guy who portrayed Orbit for the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes. The club would only allow it if the subject did the interview in character, as Orbit, so as to protect the imagery in the minds of the public. Apparently sports mascots fit in the same category as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I wasn't going to do it anyway, since its basically adds up to an unnecessary use of an "anonymous" source, but the fact that Orbit, as a character, doesn't speak made it virtually impossible.

Back to the Warriors, I'd guess the club was going to change mascots at some point anyway, considering there's already talk about a uniform redesign similar to old "The City" days. The OKC Thunder's emergence might be a convenient way to start the process.

Squatch was one of the Top 5 mascots in the NBA, easily. It's a shame that he won't be sticking around, unless OKC decides to use him. It wouldn't make much sense, but then again, neither does anything else about their identity.

Thunder, however, can go away. I remember pondering this when it was announced that "Thunder" was a finalist for the OKC name.

Plus now the Warriors can rebrand themselves.

Oh good, 40 more pages of "Golden State Blunder, AMIRITE!?!" and "My logo package was SO much better, they all suck!"

Please, just no.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived