Blackouts getting a little EXCESSIVE!

GoDawgs08

I agree that if the team doesn't have black in their color scheme, they should have no place in doing a "blackout" promotion. There are a few exceptions in my mind, though. Kansas State doesn't have black in their color scheme, but they do have black basketball uniforms, which looks pretty sharp. I, too, am a Mizzou fan, so them doing a "blackout" is no big deal, since they wear all black a few times each season. One thing about the "Goldrush" promotion though is that the team doesn't wear gold. Gold pants and black tops, but I think a gold jersey would look pretty good. West Virginia and Cal have pulled off the all yellow look, so Mizzou should do the same.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for teams having everyone in the crowd dressing in the color of that team, but hate black-outs for non-black teams.

That's why I loved the White Sox's blackout (even if I hate the team and am rooting for the Rays) - it was a blackout for a team whose main color is black. I'm just glad they didn't break out the black jerseys - the white jerseys with black pinstripes provided a nice juxtaposition with the black crowd, and alternate jerseys shouldn't be used in the postseason anyways.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

And my struggling White Sox are hoping to pull another win out like the tiebreaker game and are having another fan blackout as they hope to avoid elimination.

That was actually pretty awesome, when they had the black towels and blackout. It made sense since black is actually a primary color for the team. That was actually the best application of a blackout I've seen, IMO.

it's like people don't get the point...the point is...for the fans to show support by wearing the same color.

the color does NOT have to be black necessarily!

It just worked easier when teams first started doing it if they already had black or white as their main color...I know some people from work that went to the Sox blackout game just wearing regular clothes like a black sweater or black leather coat...

also, years ago when my college opened up their new football field (morgan state) they tried to have a 'blue-out' but most people didn't have anything solid blue to wear so it really didn't work...the next year, for homecoming, they actually had thousands of really really cheap oversized solid blue t-shirts that just had the logo and the words 'homecoming 2005' printed on it, and they were handing them out at the gate and telling everyone to put em on over what they were wearing and it was a huge hit...even poeple for the other team were putting em on for no reason...it was a sea of blue and the band sat in the middle of the stands on the 50 and wore all orange...

the students loved it, everyone got a free shirt, and non-students didn't feel stupid walking around looking like a blueberry while they go about their business that day, they actually had somehting on explaining why they're wearing a huge solid blue t-shirt

i don't really mind the fact that so many crowds are deciding to wear the same colors just shoose another color other than black or white! Oregon having a 'yellow-out' or a sea of orange at a nighttime Tennessee game or LSU having a sea of purple would be a sight to behold...

CU did a Blackout game against West Virgina for ESPN earlier this year. The team wears black usually, of course, but the black pants were also trotted out for the occasion. There was also a special logo made:

blackoutloto.jpg

The recent trend of Blackout games at CU is kind of interesting...it started as a Facebook movement during the 2007 season for the night game vs. Florida State. It was so successful that this year the University decided to cash in on the trend and make it official. CU's 2-0 in Blackout games now, so they won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

As for teams that don't have black in their color scheme...that's just lame and unimaginative. If your primary color is red, then a sea of red will look much more impressive than a sea of black that is meaningless.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

The White Sox are promoting "black out" for all playoff games right now. Here's the best pics I could find:

12d1ca32-61ee-4258-b429-75dad06f4ec4.jpg

2dcd99f9-6c31-4110-b9eb-40375c4ce64b.jpg

I agree with the original post that these things are gimmicky and losing their luster to overuse. But, I also have to admit that they usually look great on television and even better in person. The Houston Rockets campaign this season is "GET RED" which asks fans to wear red to every game. All other promotions this year involve wordplay with "red".

Get Red! and Red and Rowdy! are two promotions. The swanky bar/restaurant on the club level is the Red & White bar and the website references to insider information as "club red". The Rockets are making a massive push to become the NBA's "red team".

I don't think a blackout has the same effect when you are just dressing up to look like the seat underneath you!

Here's one we ain't seen or talked about yet (though I'm sure one's at least been held somewhere):

A PURPLE-OUT.

(The above is in referece to Northwestern University.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived