NASCAR Silly Season

floydnimrod

NASCAR Bans Testing in 2009

Very interesting. The best thing about this is that it includes ALL nascar sanctioned tracks, meaning that Hendrick couldn't just go test a million times at places like Nashville and Kentucky. I really hope this narrows the playing field.

I think anything that can level the playing field has to help the sport. The question is will this level the field or simply send Hendrick, Roush-Fenway, and Gibbs to non-NASCAR sanctioned tracks? I like the idea of trying to save money but as usual the rich teams will find a way around it. We'll see what happens.

Having teams like Petty and Yates be competitive again can only help NASCAR. They need to find some way to make it worthwhile for those teams to show up every week. Right now it's the big three, an occasional RCR or Penske upset, and everybody else.

They need to completely ban testing. It wouldn't be hard to do. Since everyone has a camera on their cell phones, there is no way a team could test at a track secretly, it would get out. As far as other teams challenging the big three? Hmmm, didn't this use to be said about Petty, about Morgan-McClure, about Penske, and RCR and even the Wood Brothers? Yep. Times change and those on top change. Are you ahead of the game or behind the game? There's always going to be those on top and those challenging, it just changes over the years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NASCAR Bans Testing in 2009

Very interesting. The best thing about this is that it includes ALL nascar sanctioned tracks, meaning that Hendrick couldn't just go test a million times at places like Nashville and Kentucky. I really hope this narrows the playing field.

I think anything that can level the playing field has to help the sport. The question is will this level the field or simply send Hendrick, Roush-Fenway, and Gibbs to non-NASCAR sanctioned tracks? I like the idea of trying to save money but as usual the rich teams will find a way around it. We'll see what happens.

Having teams like Petty and Yates be competitive again can only help NASCAR. They need to find some way to make it worthwhile for those teams to show up every week. Right now it's the big three, an occasional RCR or Penske upset, and everybody else.

They need to completely ban testing. It wouldn't be hard to do. Since everyone has a camera on their cell phones, there is no way a team could test at a track secretly, it would get out. As far as other teams challenging the big three? Hmmm, didn't this use to be said about Petty, about Morgan-McClure, about Penske, and RCR and even the Wood Brothers? Yep. Times change and those on top change. Are you ahead of the game or behind the game? There's always going to be those on top and those challenging, it just changes over the years.

True. But I don't think the money gap was ever this big.

BB52Big.jpg

Jimmie Johnson has done something that only one man Cale Yarborough has done win 3 cup championships in a row

Indeed. It's all the more impressive when you consider how bad a start to the season the 48 team had. And in July people were thinking handing the cup to Kyle Busch was just a formality.

Nice Job J.J. Here's hoping for number four in '09.

On another note...

Can we finally say that Jr. may be just an average driver? The argument used to be that he would dominate if he just had better equipment. Well Hendrick's equipment is about as good as it gets and Junior was still a pretty good but wholly unremarkable driver. He's Clint Bowyer with a more famous name. Not that being Clint Bowyer is a bad thing but I think if his name were

Dale Smith Jr. The 88 car would be just another car. His fame far outshines his talent.

BB52Big.jpg

Jimmie Johnson has done something that only one man Cale Yarborough has done win 3 cup championships in a row

Indeed. It's all the more impressive when you consider how bad a start to the season the 48 team had. And in July people were thinking handing the cup to Kyle Busch was just a formality.

Nice Job J.J. Here's hoping for number four in '09.

On another note...

Can we finally say that Jr. may be just an average driver? The argument used to be that he would dominate if he just had better equipment. Well Hendrick's equipment is about as good as it gets and Junior was still a pretty good but wholly unremarkable driver. He's Clint Bowyer with a more famous name. Not that being Clint Bowyer is a bad thing but I think if his name were

Dale Smith Jr. The 88 car would be just another car. His fame far outshines his talent.

He's still one of the top 12 drivers in the world (well, stock car drivers I suppose). I don't think anyone has been suggesting he is a god lately, and being Clint Bowyer is very impressive even. He's just a very good driver and I don't think that the hype has been as big since he switched to Hendrick. Though it's odd since I used to hate him, but now I like him cause he's on Hendrick, and I used to love Kyle Busch, now I hate him. (Specifically I'm a Jeff Gordon fan)

Speaking of which, why is it that Kyle had to leave when Earnhardt came? Seems like there was really no effort to keep him, but just imagine a JJ-Gordon-Earnhardt-Busch team. Wow.

I wouldn't say Jr is an average driver, he's a good driver he could still one or two Sprint Cup Championships, but that is about it

Yeah, average was a bad choice of words. He's a good driver but he is not one of the best. The problem I have with him is that his fans will blame everything but the fact that the guy just might not be as good as the 18, 48, 99, 17, 16 etc. They think he's a helluva lot better than he really is. He's pretty good but he's not in the same league as the top tier guys. I will say that I wonder if losing Tony Eury would benefit Jr.

BB52Big.jpg

Yes. If not average, he's overrated. He's been riding the coattails of his dad's name his entire career.

I've rarely seen Boomhauer (listen to a Dale Jr interview and tell me it doesn't sound like the fast-talking guy from King of the Hill...) accept responsibility for an accident, and he'll even throw his crew under the bus to save his face.

Speaking of Nascar, I won my collection of friends Fantasy Nascar season for the second year in a row, and it pisses off the big Nascar fans in the group. They actually do research and scouting and strategery and all that crap, while I just randomly pick 4 drivers and hope they do well.....

Yes. If not average, he's overrated. He's been riding the coattails of his dad's name his entire career.

I've rarely seen Boomhauer (listen to a Dale Jr interview and tell me it doesn't sound like the fast-talking guy from King of the Hill...) accept responsibility for an accident, and he'll even throw his crew under the bus to save his face.

Speaking of Nascar, I won my collection of friends Fantasy Nascar season for the second year in a row, and it pisses off the big Nascar fans in the group. They actually do research and scouting and strategery and all that crap, while I just randomly pick 4 drivers and hope they do well.....

Boomhauer. That's perfect.

Jr. is just like is fans. It's never his fault. When he was driving for DEI he always blamed the car or the crew or both. I don't think he does it as much now because putting the blame on a Hendrick car would sound pretty silly. It would be like saying the Yankees are too cheap. The one time Jr. tried to start all of his bull- :censored: by bashing Tony Eury over the radio, Rick Hendrick stepped in and told him to knock it off.

The guy is overrated. He's a solid driver but he's not a serious contender to win a cup. His equipment got him in the chase this year more than his talent did.

BB52Big.jpg

Jr. is just like is fans. It's never his fault. When he was driving for DEI he always blamed the car or the crew or both. I don't think he does it as much now because putting the blame on a Hendrick car would sound pretty silly. It would be like saying the Yankees are too cheap. The one time Jr. tried to start all of his bull- :censored: by bashing Tony Eury over the radio, Rick Hendrick stepped in and told him to knock it off.

The guy is overrated. He's a solid driver but he's not a serious contender to win a cup. His equipment got him in the chase this year more than his talent did.

Two things we do know about Dale, Jr. based on 2008:

1) He ain't as good as the guy he replaced in the Hendrick stable.

2) He's a better driver than Casey Mears.

Other than that, we don't know anything more than we ever did about him.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Junior is a good driver, but what Junior lacks is the ability to communicate what the car is doing and what needs to be changed. Instead of yelling at everyone he needs to sit out practices and listen to how Jimmie Johnson communicates what his car is doing. Until Jr figures out how to communicate properly and not yell when things go wrong, he'll win his race of the year and get his votes for most popular and I just realized I just called him Bill Elliott! :lol:

To answer the question why Hendrick couldn't keep Kyle Bush when they signed Jr. Simple, each team can only have a maximum of four cars. Jr would've been #5. Teams can run occasionally a 5th car for a rookie, but that's now the only exception. This rule was made a few years ago and is one reason after next year that you'll watch Jamie McMurray be let go or leave Roush Racing.

Archived