Your Mlb Firsts

CC97

I'm pretty sure this is it:

Minnesota Twins @ Kansas City Royals

Date: August 6, 1999

Attendance: 23,471 (Including me, my two bros, two parents, and maybe 10-15 memebers of my aunts and uncles and their families)

Game Time: 3:39

Starting Pitchers

Kansas City: Dan Reichert

Minnesota: Eric Milton

Game Synapsis: Game started out pretty unexciting with KC jumping out to a 7-1 lead after 5. Minnesota made it interesting in the 6th by scoring 3, but KC countered with a run in the bottom of the inning. That would be all the scoring KC would do though as they headed to the top of the 7th up 8-4. Minnesota however would scored 2 and 3 runs in the top of the 7th and 8th innings to take the 9-8 victory over KC.

Winning Pitcher: Travis Miller (2-0)

Losing Pitcher: Scott Service (4-4)

Other Notes On The Night: The San Diego Chicken was in town to provide in game entertainment. And this game looked on the calendar like it would need it. This game was in the pre-success years that Minnesota had over the past few years and Kansas City had last season. We did however spend 30 minutes waiting for my cousins and one of my little brothers to get done waiting in line for the San Diego Chicken to sign autographs. I'm pretty sure at least one came back crying because something went wrong somewhere along the line.

Firsts:

Reichert delievered my first ever major league pitch.

Carlos Febles hit his 9th homer of the year out for my first big league home run.

* I've been to a handful of minor league games with the Cedar Rapids Kernels but this is my only Major League game I've ever been to, I'd like to go to some more in the future.

sig09.jpg

My First Game was 4/6/1983 Blue Jays @ Red Sox. I was visting relatives in New Hampshire that week. I was 7 at the time and I sat in the CF bleachers.

The Red Sox won 7-4 and Yaz was still playing at the time.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04070BOS1983.htm

My first NL game and Mets game was 4/12/1985 Reds @ Mets, Mets won 1-0, Gary Carter hit a HR, and Pete Rose had 2 hits.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04120NYN1985.htm

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

my first game.

Sept. 12, 1981: Tigers 11 - Indians 9

Starting Pitchers:

Det: Jack Morris

Cle: Len Barker

WP: Dave Rozema

LP: Sid Monge

Alan Trammell had 2 stolen bases and Kirk Gibson had 1

HRs by Lance Parrish and Bill Fahey (oddly enough, both played catcher that game)

Parrish's homer was a walk off in the bottom of the 12th.

no wonder i'm a huge Tigers fan......i was 8 years old and this game made me a baseball fan for life.

and the worst game i've ever been to:

Clemens strikes out 20 Tigers. Sept 18, 1996

the best game:

Shane Halter suicide squeeze in the top of the 12th at wrigley. Detroit wins 3-2, making a 5 hours drive worth every second. June 4, 2000

Some memorable games I attended...

- The infamous Derek Jeter injury on opening day 2003

- Roy Halladay's 10-inning shutout, no-hitter thru 7 2/3IP, in Sept 2003

- Barry Bonds's 589th career homerun

- 28 minute rain-delay at the skydome, the game ended up going 13 innings

And a game I keep kicking myself for not going (I told the Jays I couldn't work it, then declined free tickets to the game - don't wanna get caught).... Carlos Delgado's 4 homers in one game :cursing::evil::cry::wacko::mad:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

God, I feel old... I was in college when jkrdevil was 5! Crap.

Anyway, here's my first game:

Oct 2, 1982: Montreal 1 at Pittsburgh 2

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10020PIT1982.htm

I was 8 years old and became a Montreal fan for life this day, even though Pittsburgh was the "hometown" team (we lived in Youngstown, OH at the time which is half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland on the border of OH and PA). Anyway, I liked the Expos' uniforms and my dad bought me an Expos batting helmet. My brothers both got Pirates helmets. I remember being crushed that the Expos lost even though I only started liking them that day. Tim Raines hit a homer, but Gary Carter was my favorite. I always hated Bill Madlock and Kent Tekulve after that day... though the Pirates became my second favorite team over the years.

Ah, memories.

I was in college, too...

Now, it took me a little longer than 2 1/2 days to graduate college, like Joel...

but it does make me feel old.

my first game i went to was in the brand new astrodome. I dont remember the game, only collecting plastic logo cups after everyone left.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

God, I feel old... I was in college when jkrdevil was 5! Crap.

he was 5 and i had graduated from college the previous year.

Yeah, well while 5 year old JKR was going to ball games, I was studying for the bar exam having just graduated from law school!

I've been going to Cardinal games since I was 1 or 2, but this game is the earliest one for which I have any tangible record.

And this is the recap from my daughter's first MLB game at the ripe old age of 16 months.

damn! not only did you get to see bob gibson pitch a shutout, but also hit a homer.

he's one of my favorite all time players.....i remember the story of norm cash of the tigers bringing a table leg up to the plate with him instead of a bat when he faced gibson (because he knew he wouldn't make contact).

That was Nolan Ryan he went to the plate against during one of his no hitters when he pitched for California. It happened at Tiger Stadium, and the story is in at least 2 of Ernie Harwell's books.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

My first game was the final Red Sox home game of the 1984 season (I was 5). Mike Brown and the O's beat Oil Can Boyd and the Old Towne Team 5-3. Most notable, though, was the edition of the Boston Globe the next day, when yours truly had his close-up plastered across the very front page, looking all cute with my bowl cut and Sox hat, waiting for autographs. I made sure to hand that picture out to any and all high school girls I ran across!

All together now...

AWWWWWWWWW

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

I can't say for sure when I caught my first game - must have been 1970 or 1971 at the ripe young age of 5 or 6 at County Stadium.

Things I have seen:

Nolan Ryan's 300th win

Robing Yount's 3000th hit (as well as the 2999 the night before, and 2998 the night before that!)

Carl "Tuffy" Rhodes hit 3 dingers on Opening Day off of Dwight Gooden (and we STILL couldn't beat the damn Mets) - As Harry put it "He's on a pace to hit 486 homers Steve!"

A rainout on my first trip to Wrigley Field - for the 1983 Opener. Heard the perfect line to describe what it's like to be a Cubs fan during the rain delay. Two guys were discussing the upcoming season, wondering how the Cubs would do. One says to the other (speaking of rookie Mel Hall, that season's "Next Big Thing") "If Mel Hall has a bad season, the Cubs will probably finish 5th. BUT, if he has a great season, the Cubs will probably finish 5th."

Discrim - we gotta catch a game at Miller Park this summer!

It's where I sit.

Thanks for telling us about that site. I always remembered that the first game I went to was a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium against the KC Athletics sometime in 1967, but I couldn't recall the details.

Now I found it! ^_^

Game 1 - Game 2

Yankees swept, 7-2 and 5-2. Tommy Tresh and Jake Gibbs homered in the first game; Mantle had a double and scored a run. Mantle didn't play the nightcap; Roy White drove in Horace Clarke twice.

I have made it a point to get to Yankee Stadium at least once every year since then. Some years I've been as many as 10 times, but usually once or twice a year. Every year for 37 consecutive years. (Of course, there were the two seasons I had to go to Shea, but it counts.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived