ATL = UGA

tommytimp

Here's one I haven't been able to document because I can't find pics, but I may have to make an excursion over to the hall of fame soon and see what I can dig up.

However, I'm very confident that the MTSU Blue Raiders' look circa 1980s was a blatant ripoff of the Dallas Cowboys...and it was pretty much my favorite set they've ever worn. Colors are blue, white, and grey/silver....silver helmet with similar striping and a big, bold, blue logo (a block MT, rather than the star)...blue or white tops and (I believe) silver pants...the jerseys even had almost identical striping to the 'boys, even with a logo in the center. However, in one of the more amusing quirks of this set, they put a 2d version of the team's helmet where the star would be on the sleeve stripes.

I have seen this uni on display over at the M'boro Chili's...however, according to a higher-up at Middle's HoF, the people at Chili's simply threw the sets away when remodeling. He and I both would have gladly paid for them, but he found out too late, and I found out from him. However, I'm hoping some of our displays at least have pics so I can show the similarities (and quaint simplicity compared to our past half dozen templated disaster sets).

I know we're focusing on football, but college baseball has a ton of "lets look like pro team" examples. MTSU, for example, looks like the LA Dodgers, but w/o a NOB, but with a light blue and white cap logo (interlocking MT, called "The Flying Amoeba"). Also, the front numbers changed from red to blue a few years back.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

[As for the Rams, one could argue in the '60s that ...

LosAngeles63.gif

... their dark unis looked like USC's and their white unis (which they wore a lot at home) looked like UCLA's.

I'll agree on the white uniforms looking like UCLA, but at that time USC didn't wear the Northwestern stripes; I believe they wore plain jerseys with no stripes early in the decade and then jerseys with shoulder inserts (like their current jerseys) later in the decade during the Mike Garrett and O. J. Simpson years. They didn't go to Northwestern stripes until the 1970s.

The original owner of the Falcons was an alum of UGA. That's why the colors and uniform look was so similar.....

And then to appease the GT fans, slapped a gold stripe outside of the white stripe on the helmets they wore when they started out. It always gives me a laugh.

That's not as ridiculous as what the Georgia Force did their first season here, when they added one red stripe and one gold stripe to the helmet for a couple weeks, when the Force's color scheme is black, blue, and silver....

Does anyone have a pic of that GA Force helmet?

12.jpg

This is also telling of how much of a college town this is, when the pro sports teams almost HAVE to appease the college fans.

Yeah Atlanta really does act like a college town. Every single business that can use the UGA logo to sell a product can and will. Back home in South Florida, Subway was just Subway. Here it's THE OFFICIAL SANDWICH OF THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS! There are plenty of other examples, but I had no idea that the Falcons were trying to look like the Dawgs too! They don't anymore though. What is odd is that, aside from the Braves, the other major pro teams all use birds as their mascots. I don't know many cities that have a similar theme like that.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

What is odd is that, aside from the Braves, the other major pro teams all use birds as their mascots. I don't know many cities that have a similar theme like that.

Baltimore. (Orioles, Ravens).

When I went up to Baltimore to watch the Saints play the Ravens in their inaugural season, I spotted a cool t-shirt in a souvenir store that had a cartoon-y Baltimore Raven and a cartoon-y Baltimore Oriole shaking hands, with the title underneath-- "Baltimore - Don't mess with the nest!!"

Charlotte - features cats (Panthers and Bobcats)

Every team in Dallas/Texas has a star somewhere in their logo.

It is what it is.

What is odd is that, aside from the Braves, the other major pro teams all use birds as their mascots. I don't know many cities that have a similar theme like that.

When I went up to Baltimore to watch the Saints play the Ravens in their inaugural season, I spotted a cool t-shirt in a souvenir store that had a cartoon-y Baltimore Raven and a cartoon-y Baltimore Oriole shaking hands, with the title underneath-- "Baltimore - Don't mess with the nest!!"

Charlotte - features cats (Panthers and Bobcats)

Every team in Dallas/Texas has a star somewhere in their logo.

Lets not forget Mets, Jets, Nets and Pittsburgh's universal color scheme

Azzuri.gif

When I went up to Baltimore to watch the Saints play the Ravens in their inaugural season, I spotted a cool t-shirt in a souvenir store that had a cartoon-y Baltimore Raven and a cartoon-y Baltimore Oriole shaking hands, with the title underneath-- "Baltimore - Don't mess with the nest!!"...

To take it a step further, almost every pro sports team named in Baltimore had an actual link in Baltimore.

Baltimore Orioles are a real bird the "Baltimore Oriole"

Baltimore Ravens are from the E. A. Poe poem the Raven that was written in Baltimore and Poe died and is buried in Baltimore as well.

Baltimore Colts were named in honor of the horse racing and breeding industry that was even more popular than football when the team was named.

Baltimore Bullets were named because Baltimore was a leading ammunition producer during the 1800's. The Shot tower still exists in the heart of the city.

Baltimore Clippers (AHL) was the actual name of a type of sailing ship.

Baltimore Skipjacks (AHL), the Skipjack is a sail only oyster boat still used on the Chesapeake Bay today.

Baltimore Bays (NASL) a reference to the Chesapeake Bay

Baltimore Claws (ABA) Although they never really took the court, a reference to the Blue Crab.

Baltimore Stallions (CFL) A nod to the Colts, the team was first called the Baltimore Colts, then the CFL Colts, then the CFL's, before settling on the Stallions.

Baltimore Blast (MISL) a link (kinda weak) to the bombardment of Ft. McHenry.

Baltimore Bombers (NFL Expansion) Baltimore was the home of the B-26, Martin Maryland and Martin Baltimore WWII era bombers.

The Bandits and Stars didn't have a name connection. Although Stars could be linked to "Star Spangled Banner" but they were named when they were in Philly so it really doesn't count.

I don't know of any other city has as many teams with such connections.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

When I went up to Baltimore to watch the Saints play the Ravens in their inaugural season, I spotted a cool t-shirt in a souvenir store that had a cartoon-y Baltimore Raven and a cartoon-y Baltimore Oriole shaking hands, with the title underneath-- "Baltimore - Don't mess with the nest!!"...

To take it a step further, almost every pro sports team named in Baltimore had an actual link in Baltimore.

Baltimore Ravens are from the E. A. Poe poem the Raven that was written in Baltimore and Poe died and is buried in Baltimore as well.

Baltimore Colts were named in honor of the horse racing and breeding industry that was even more popular than football when the team was named.

Baltimore Bullets were named because Baltimore was a leading ammunition producer during the 1800's. The Shot tower still exists in the heart of the city.

Baltimore Skipjacks (AHL), the Skipjack is a sail only oyster boat still used on the Chesapeake Bay today.

Baltimore Claws (ABA) Although they never really took the court, a reference to the Blue Crab.

Baltimore Stallions (CFL) A nod to the Colts, the team was first called the Baltimore Colts, then the CFL Colts, then the CFL's, before settling on the Stallions.

Baltimore Bombers (NFL Expansion) Baltimore was the home of the B-26, Martin Maryland and Martin Baltimore WWII era bombers.

The Bandits and Stars didn't have a name connection. Although Stars could be linked to "Star Spangled Banner" but they were named when they were in Philly so it really doesn't count.

One more:

Baltimore Banners (WTT), a play on "The Star-Spangled Banner", written in Baltimore Harbor during bombardment of Ft. McHenry:

BaltimoreBanners.GIF

It is what it is.

One more:

Baltimore Banners (WTT), a play on "The Star-Spangled Banner", written in Baltimore Harbor during bombardment of Ft. McHenry:

BaltimoreBanners.GIF

I'll add a few more for good measure --

Bayhawks (MLL) -- I'm not sure what a Bayhawk is, but if it has "Bay" in the name, that's close enough.

BayRunners (IBL -- minor league basketball) -- Ditto. And they used a crab logo.

Terrapins (Federal League) -- The Diamondback Terrapin is the official state reptile.

Mariners (Indoor Football -- no idea which league) -- Obvious connection to the port and the maritime heritage of the bay.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but the Chicago Cardinals got their original uniforms from the U. of Chicago. Upon receiving them, the Cards owner remarked that the jerseys were "cardinal red" and not the maroon he was expecting.

I also remember reading an article years ago that alleged that the Packers colors were originally navy and gold because used uniforms from Marquette University were readily available and Curly Lambeau's Notre Dame connections were retroactively given as the reason. Supposedly the Irish were using green and not navy in 1919 (though they used navy before then). But I haven't been able to find the article for quite some time, so I have no way to verify how accurate it was.

Speaking of the Gold Warri-Eagles, the Brewers and Marquette had the same colors for a few years in the 70's and 80's. But that's obviously a coincidence since it's well-documented that the Crew got their colors because Sleaze-ig was too cheap to spring for the "correct" navy & red in 1970.

I also remember reading an article years ago that alleged that the Packers colors were originally navy and gold because used uniforms from Marquette University were readily available and Curly Lambeau's Notre Dame connections were retroactively given as the reason. Supposedly the Irish were using green and not navy in 1919 (though they used navy before then). But I haven't been able to find the article for quite some time, so I have no way to verify how accurate it was.

Never heard that one. I'd tend to doubt it, since Curly got the Indian Packing Company to sponsor the team, commonly understood to be for uniforms.

But maybe that author found something new in the archives somewhere. I'd love to read that article, if you can find it again, just to see what other finds the author might have made.

Speaking of the Gold Warri-Eagles, the Brewers and Marquette had the same colors for a few years in the 70's and 80's. But that's obviously a coincidence since it's well-documented that the Crew got their colors because Sleaze-ig was too cheap to spring for the "correct" navy & red in 1970.

Come now. If you're going to go for a cheap shot, at least make it a clever one. :P

It's not that he was too cheap, but that there wasn't enough time. He took control of the team six days before the start of the regular season. This in a time when teams regularly used an individual uniform for years, passing it down from one player to the next, season to season.

So yes, if he had been given his choice, if he had been awarded an expansion franchise for 1969 as he had hoped, he would have gone with the traditional blue and navy. But that wasn't to be, and he played the cards he was dealt. Royal and Gold.

I wasn't aware that Marquette ever used that light a blue.

Marquette originially wore a dark navy and yellow scheme, but by the mid-1970s they were using more of a columbia or maybe Carolina blue with yellow trim for at least 1-2 years - the original "shirttail out" uniforms. The 1977 Championship team also wore the ligher blue but were perhaps the first team to use what we would now call "Vegas Gold" (and what some people called "gold lamme" back then) for the shorts.

1976:

0329_large.jpg

1977:

0404_large.jpg

After McGuire retired Marquette moved to a royal blue and yellow scheme for most of the 1980s until returning to the navy/yellow colors they still wear today.

The original owner of the Falcons was an alum of UGA. That's why the colors and uniform look was so similar.....

And then to appease the GT fans, slapped a gold stripe outside of the white stripe on the helmets they wore when they started out. It always gives me a laugh.

That's not as ridiculous as what the Georgia Force did their first season here, when they added one red stripe and one gold stripe to the helmet for a couple weeks, when the Force's color scheme is black, blue, and silver....

Does anyone have a pic of that GA Force helmet?

12.jpg

This is also telling of how much of a college town this is, when the pro sports teams almost HAVE to appease the college fans.

Yeah Atlanta really does act like a college town. Every single business that can use the UGA logo to sell a product can and will. Back home in South Florida, Subway was just Subway. Here it's THE OFFICIAL SANDWICH OF THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS! There are plenty of other examples, but I had no idea that the Falcons were trying to look like the Dawgs too! They don't anymore though. What is odd is that, aside from the Braves, the other major pro teams all use birds as their mascots. I don't know many cities that have a similar theme like that.

Thanks for the pic.

Yeah, I live just north of Atlanta and it really sucks if you're not a Dawg fan. I'm a pretty big Tech fan, and which college is the one actually in Atlanta? Not UGAg!

You go to my high school, you can't go a few feet without seeing someone in a red sweatshirt or a t-shirt saying something like "how 'bout them Dawgs?"

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Strangely enough, while watching the Falcons-Bears game this weekend, I got the idea that the Falcons ought to replace the silver in their current color scheme with gold. My reasoning was that not only would it look nice, but it would balance all the Georgia Bulldogs influence with a little Georgia Tech.

And speaking of the Bears, they've got a pretty similar color scheme to the University of Illinois. Both programs are so old, though, that I've got no idea if that's any more than a coincidence.

And speaking of the Bears, they've got a pretty similar color scheme to the University of Illinois. Both programs are so old, though, that I've got no idea if that's any more than a coincidence.

I believe someone already noted above that it is not a coincidence. George Halas was an old Illinois man and lifted their color scheme for the Staleys/Bears.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

George Halas gave the Bears his alma mater's colors, but I don't think the Bears ever had orange helmets.

true, but you recall the 1920s throwbacks the Bears wore in 94? Illinois wore that same design in that era (the 20s, not 94).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Yeah, I live just north of Atlanta and it really sucks if you're not a Dawg fan. I'm a pretty big Tech fan, and which college is the one actually in Atlanta? Not UGAg!

You go to my high school, you can't go a few feet without seeing someone in a red sweatshirt or a t-shirt saying something like "how 'bout them Dawgs?"

Georgia Tech can't sellout their own football games unless the opposition buys up the rest of the tickets. Did you see how empty the stadium was for the Gardner Webb game?

I went to last year's UGA-Tech game in Atlanta, and there were more UGA fans in the stands than Tech fans, by a 60-40 or 65-35 ratio.

Never heard that one. I'd tend to doubt it, since Curly got the Indian Packing Company to sponsor the team, commonly understood to be for uniforms.

But maybe that author found something new in the archives somewhere. I'd love to read that article, if you can find it again, just to see what other finds the author might have made.

I've tried repeatedly but still can't find it. I'm starting to think I read it somewhere that wasn't online. But supposedly, the main sticking point was a receipt that was rediscovered in the Marquette Athletic Dept. made out to an "E.L. Lambeau." The transaction was for "football equipment," but it doesn't specify that it was for jerseys (or even that E.L. was "Earl Larry"). But at the same time, you could argue that Indian Packing's sponsorship of "uniforms" could include equipment besides jerseys and he could have just bought the actual shirts from MU to cut costs.

In other words, the evidence is nothing beyond "reasonable doubt," but it's still pretty interesting.

It's not that he was too cheap, but that there wasn't enough time. He took control of the team six days before the start of the regular season. This in a time when teams regularly used an individual uniform for years, passing it down from one player to the next, season to season.

So yes, if he had been given his choice, if he had been awarded an expansion franchise for 1969 as he had hoped, he would have gone with the traditional red and navy. But that wasn't to be, and he played the cards he was dealt. Royal and Gold.

When Sleaze-ig pays me back for all the money that's been forced out of my pocket for his palace, I'll take the time to write better material about him :D

I know the entire story about Bud getting control of the Pilots between the end of spring training and opening day, but it's still hard for me to buy that there wasn't any time to get new unis when Sand Knit's facilities were (are?) a whole 30 minute drive from downtown Milwaukee. Even if that was the case, why wouldn't he just spring for new unis in 1971 instead of invalidating their 50+ year identity in the American Association plus his own 5 years of marketing the "new" Brewers in red and navy?

FWIW though... I do prefer the royal and yellow since it still beats them being just another red & blue team.

Marquette originially wore a dark navy and yellow scheme, but by the mid-1970s they were using more of a columbia or maybe Carolina blue with yellow trim for at least 1-2 years - the original "shirttail out" uniforms. The 1977 Championship team also wore the ligher blue but were perhaps the first team to use what we would now call "Vegas Gold" (and what some people called "gold lamme" back then) for the shorts.

After McGuire retired Marquette moved to a royal blue and yellow scheme for most of the 1980s until returning to the navy/yellow colors they still wear today.

MU's last varsity football team (in 1960) wore metallic gold shells with a single navy stripe (pretty much what Navy wears now). I doubt they even had standard shades of blue and gold until they became the Golden Eagles, and even if they did, it definitely wasn't enforced. Sometimes they used different combos for different sports in the same year, but I'm not sure if that was on purpose, or just evidence of how inconsistent they were. Even now you can find MU gear in royal (and even some in metallic gold) if you look hard enough. Especially those unauthorized Warriors t-shirts.

Archived