Another AFL team bites the dust....

B-Rich

The Rattlers appear to be safe as well, Brett Bouchy was on a radio station here in Phoenix this morning talking about the demise of the New Orleans VooDoo. He also stated that the Rattlers will be around in 2009 and beyond and even hinted that he would have the playoff guarantee for the 2009 season as well

*inches closer to AFL panic button*

Looks like they had the single-entity vote. I wonder how it went.

Not sure if they had a vote on single entity, but according to this article out today, AFL owners on October 10th approved a letter of intent from Platinum Equity, with a final agreement to be voted on in November. Platinum would invest $100 million into the league, and have control of the league and its business operations.

Essentially, the league is becoming a single-entity organization. Not surprised Benson got out.

It is what it is.

I haven't seen anything about free agent signings even though FA started 3 weeks ago. Are things being held up?

Yup, somebody finally had the bright idea that the union might indeed want to have a say in the league's new direction. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The AFL did itself in when it began fans in the cities that had been loyal to the league during its infancy in favor of larger markets with no interest in supporting what is still seen (despite what the diehards think) as a minor league.

I was a huge Milwaukee Mustangs fan back in the day, but now I doubt I'd get too excited if they were to come back. I'm damn sure not supporting the af2 team that's jumpin' off next year.

Agreed. I think the beginning of that trend can be traced to 2001, when Iowa packed up and left for Long Island. Even though they left market number 1-hundred-something for market 1, you'd be hard pressed to convince me the team has more brand recognition and support now than it did 8 years ago in Des Moines. And letting the Firebirds wither and die in Indy because they didn't want to expose how bloated the expansion fee had become was another boneheaded move.

As for Milwaukee, I think that was a bit of a different case. Didn't the ownership (the V-something Brothers) basically burn every bridge they had in town, to the point where the Bradley Center kicked them out for "renovations" that never took place?

Valozzis, yes. A nephew of the Valozzis (Drew Valozzi) is one of the owners of the Milwaukee Iron. As a Blizzard season ticket holder, I'll definintely go to the BC when the BLizzard come to town.

I'm thinking if the VooDoo folded, that means the single entity vote passed. Weren't the NFL owners the ones who opposed single entity? Thus if it passed, NFL owners would be more likely to bail on the league.

I love the AFL, but unfortunately my Firebirds folded a couple years ago after nobody bought them on ebay :cursing: . Oh well...

6fQjS3M.png

The AFL did itself in when it began fans in the cities that had been loyal to the league during its infancy in favor of larger markets with no interest in supporting what is still seen (despite what the diehards think) as a minor league.

I was a huge Milwaukee Mustangs fan back in the day, but now I doubt I'd get too excited if they were to come back. I'm damn sure not supporting the af2 team that's jumpin' off next year.

Agreed. I think the beginning of that trend can be traced to 2001, when Iowa packed up and left for Long Island. Even though they left market number 1-hundred-something for market 1, you'd be hard pressed to convince me the team has more brand recognition and support now than it did 8 years ago in Des Moines. And letting the Firebirds wither and die in Indy because they didn't want to expose how bloated the expansion fee had become was another boneheaded move.

As for Milwaukee, I think that was a bit of a different case. Didn't the ownership (the V-something Brothers) basically burn every bridge they had in town, to the point where the Bradley Center kicked them out for "renovations" that never took place?

Valozzis, yes. A nephew of the Valozzis (Drew Valozzi) is one of the owners of the Milwaukee Iron. As a Blizzard season ticket holder, I'll definintely go to the BC when the BLizzard come to town.

I'm thinking if the VooDoo folded, that means the single entity vote passed. Weren't the NFL owners the ones who opposed single entity? Thus if it passed, NFL owners would be more likely to bail on the league.

I love the AFL, but unfortunately my Firebirds folded a couple years ago after nobody bought them on ebay :cursing: . Oh well...

There was a buyer. The league refused to approve the sale, however, because the sale price was substantially lower than the current going rate for expansion teams. <_<

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wouldn't say that

Firebirds reborn

I was wondering how long it was gonna be before the Conquest re-branded themselves. Man, that identity must have been pretty cheap to get, huh?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

*inches closer to AFL panic button*

You ain't kidding. Pre-Katrina, the Voodoo were an unqualified success, and I thought they were still holding their own when they came back, too. Plus there's the whole deal of making New Orleans the home of the Arenabowl. Ouch.

So that puts 'em down to 16 teams. How many of those are on shaky ground? I'll offer up Kansas City and Utah for openers.

I wouldn't necessarily say Utah is on shaky ground, they have the best fans and attendance in the league.

kylekorversig1if2.png

I wouldn't necessarily say Utah is on shaky ground, they have the best fans and attendance in the league.

New Orleans was pretty solid in that respect too...

And unlike Utah, who by the way, was actually 4th in attendance last year, New Orleans never got accused of grossly inflating the number of butts in the seats.

This is not to say that other teams don't inflate their numbers; it's just to say that when I read about cooking the attendance books, Utah and Tampa Bay seem to be the franchises that come up most often.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I am sorry...I can't take a league seriously when this is one of it's team owners is this guy......And a championship owner too boot..

jon_bon_jovi.jpg

Why not? Look how he built his name. Obviously he is one of the better business men in America.

I am sorry...I can't take a league seriously when this is one of it's team owners is this guy......And a championship owner too boot..

jon_bon_jovi.jpg

Why not? Look how he built his name. Obviously he is one of the better business men in America.

Agreed, plus he is someone who actually tried to put a winning product on the field. Who went to every game and is a huge Arena Football supporter.

Also, Arizona is going to announce the hiring of Randy White as their new Offensive Co-ordinator/Kevin Guy's mentor this Friday.

jon_bon_jovi.jpg

You're just jealous because he's a pretty, pretty man.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

jon_bon_jovi.jpg

You're just jealous because he's a pretty, pretty man.

You do kind of get lost in his eyes.

Quick clarification....Does Jaworski also partly own the Soul??

Yes he does.

Today, we are all otaku.

Quick clarification....Does Jaworski also partly own the Soul??

Yes he does.

And yet, they didn't bother to set up "Bon Jaworski LLC" as a parent company. Missed opportunity, if you ask me.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived