NFL Nameplate Situation

GFB

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

williams and jones are common names, but youngblood? back in the day, the rams had jack and jim youngblood on the team, jim youngblood had "jim youngblood" on the back of his jersey and as i remember it "jim" was smaller and all squished.

In the preseason a few years back (apparently 2001) the Tennessee Titans had two "Chris Sanders"es on the squad at the same time, a veteran WR and a rookie reserve QB battling for the 3rd/4th spot.

To my surprise, in an attempt to "clarify," they just put "CHRIS SANDERS" across both players' nameplates. So let me get this straight. You're going to differentiate between two players with the same name by putting...the entire duplicated name on BOTH jerseys?...Brilliant.

Granted, different numbers, positions, and even races/colors (the WR was African American, the QB white) made it relatively easy to tell them apart, but still...must not have been enough.

Side note, the QB found his niche in Arena football. Apparently his most recent stop was the Dallas Desperados as Clint Dolezel's backup/replacement.

And my opinion on the nameplate thing? First and middle initials? Sure. SH ALEXANDER and SE ALEXANDER (for, say, Shaun and Sean, if that were to happen; I realize Shaun had to wear SU in Bama for a similar case, though it was probably a Shawn)? Okay. But on Andre/Andra? Just leave it at A DAVIS or use middle initials. Otherwise you're going way too far.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Did Tom Brady keep "Brady" on his back even though his tight end was named "Brady" as well?

after the chad johnson thing,i think the NFL probably allowed Tom's jersey not to have a "T" because of jersey sales,and knowing that the pats probably won't have a big line for Kyle Brady jerseys

yoo3.png

I was gonna say "Roy E. Williams" and "Roy Lee Williams"...but I digress.

(And...I guess there went the idea of the DB being 38 and the WR 83. That'd have been fun to mess with people that way.)

Either way it goes...I'm sure the announcers are going to have fun (or a big-time headache) with this one...well, once the DB returns.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"Offensive Roy Williams." "Defensive Roy Williams." Spell 'em out. It'd be fun. Might take two lines.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps abbreviate to "OFF WILLIAMS" and "DEF WILLIAMS." Or perhaps use the position abbreviation: "WILLIAMS WR" and "WILLIAMS DB"

How did the Bullets handle their 2 Charles Joneses back in '88 or '89? They were both roughly the same position and height as well, undersized C/PF's.

They should have lettered out "Charles Caldwell's brother Jones" and "Charles not Caldwell's brother Jones"

Felix Jones and Adam "Pacman" Jones just have "JONES" on the back of their uniforms so it should also just be "WILLIAMS" for both Roy Williams

Well maybe that's just because they figured Pacman would be banned soon and did not want to deal with re-doing Felix's jerseys :D

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

See.. a perfect reason why there should just be numbers on the jerseys. I mean, you can't read the names when you're at the games. And if its for TV purposes, then you have the announcers always telling you who's who... or there's a graphic on the screen. And then you could still sell the jersey of the player who gets traded, because you don't have to worry about his name being on the back (altho, that wouldn't allow 50% sales of the free agent's old team jersey...).

Yep... just numbers... the player's egos are big enough already.... don;t need their names posted on everything...

adam jones should petition to have pacman on the back of his jersey when he returns

He is trying to stay as far away from that nickname as he can, because people associate that name with his "run in with the law."

He has been listen as Adam Jones since the beginning of this year.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived