Blues -best Marketing Campaign In 2004

STL FANATIC

http://www.stlouisblues.com/news/0304/040303.html

NHL Names Blues 2004 Outstanding Club Marketing Campaign

Blues Win Award For Second Time in Three Seasons

PuckHead.color.gif

NEW YORK, ST. LOUIS, March 3, 2004 - The National Hockey League last week named the St. Louis Blues' current "retro" marketing and advertising campaign as the League's Outstanding Club Marketing Campaign for the 2003-2004 season.

The honor marks the second time in three seasons the Blues have won the League's top club marketing award. The "Bleed Blue" campaign won the inaugural award in 2001-2002.

The award was presented to the Blues last week during the League's annual marketing meetings in Anaheim, Calif. All Member Club marketing campaigns were reviewed by a panel of judges comprised of: Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal, several prominent North American advertising agencies and consultants, and NHL Enterprises.

Runner-ups for the 2004 Award included: the Minnesota Wild's "Team of 18,000"; Phoenix Coyotes' "A New Breed"; the Atlanta Thrashers' "Are You True Blue?" and the Toronto Maple Leafs' "Leafs Nation."

The Blues' retro campaign featured a humorous 1960s spoof, using graphics and language from that decade to promote affordable ticket prices and communicate a value-driven message. The approach was selected following the club's decision to reduce ticket prices in many areas of Savvis Center at the start of the season.

"The Blues' use of 1960s advertising was a perfect way of leveraging the League's season-long 'Vintage Hockey?' platform that celebrated their rich heritage and creatively solved some unique business challenges," said NHL Vice President, Club Marketing Scott Carmichael. "The assignment to our outside panel of judges was twofold: to ascertain if each Club campaign had delivered a unique and creative campaign and if they had successfully integrated it across all of Club marketing assets."

"It's an honor to be recognized for the second time in three seasons, particularly given the excellent work by the other finalists," said Jim Woodcock, the Blues' senior vice president of marketing and communications. "The fact our retro campaign worked so well this year, and continues to work, is what is truly satisfying. Our challenge this season was to communicate price and the entertainment value of Blues hockey, and to keep that message relevant and fresh throughout the season. Our multiple retro executions met the challenge, kept it fun and keep it working."

The Blues' winning campaign was created in cooperation with the Schupp Company, the Blues' longtime advertising agency which developed the club's retro-themed radio, television, outdoor and print executions. The radio campaign also recently won a coveted Addy Award for the best creative work in St. Louis during 2003, marking the fifth consecutive year that advertising created by Schupp Company on behalf of the Blues has won an Addy. The Blues' organization is the only St. Louis company to have this level of consistency.

Fleishman-Hillard also contributed to the Blues' award-winning campaign as recognized by the NHL with retro graphics and design for materials such as media guides, yearbooks, pocket schedules and promotional items. Schupp and Fleishman-Hillard are both St. Louis-based companies.

# # #

That very well maybe the best advertising campaign ever. I certainly don't see anything like that in the Denver area. I wish I did, but oh well. I can't blame, it would be money poorely spent considering the Pepsi Center never fails to sell out for the Avs... the Nuggets are becoming a hot ticket... Rockies are in the upper portion of the MLB in attendance... and the Broncos sell out every game.

I must ask... who won it last year and what was the winning campaign? I'm wondering if I might remember hearing about it.

IUe6Hvh.png

needless to say, after stabbing the captain in the back, introducing the "mooterus jersey", and then coming up with that pathetic "City of Stars" add campaign, the stars likely finished 30th in marketting.

I can't believe a campaign like this beat out the Carolina's "This is Hockey!" :lol::lol:

Anyway, I wish the League would hire someone from the Blue's Marketing department cause the NHL could use the help. Those are great!!

I agree Chaz...I'm thinking at least we won something, but...

Actually, we got Sillinger today in exchange for Brent Johnson. A good trade as long as it's not the only one we make.

And PittU, if you check the thread I linked to in the second post in this thread, I said the exact same thing. I haven't seen them anywhere though.

It's really too bad this doesn't become a trend. It's really original and it looks great! I could see this doing really well in baseball. The Yankees, Reds, and Giants would all be really successful!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

And PittU, if you check the thread I linked to in the second post in this thread, I said the exact same thing. I haven't seen them anywhere though.

Great minds think alike, eh?

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

needless to say, after stabbing the captain in the back, introducing the "mooterus jersey", and then coming up with that pathetic "City of Stars" add campaign, the stars likely finished 30th in marketting.

i'd be kinder and say the blackhawks were dead last in this. hell, i'm not even sure they HAVE an ad campaign :therock:

ya don't televise home games, you deserve to be last in marketing. ask wirtz.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived