NHL football

BJBerthiaume

why is everyone so negative and critical on here?

Since you opened this can of worms, I'll tell you why and this comes from somone who just graduated as a graphic designer. #1 he asked for criticism. I spent 2.5 years of getting criticism every two weeks even on things I thought were great, and they were ripped apart and I was told this or that doesn't work. It wasn't because the teacher or person telling me that hated me, it was well, it didn't work for them and they were saying that. A lot of times what they said was right. It was done to make me a better designer. You have to know and understand that constructive criticism is there to make you better. Constructive criticism is, "I don't like this because..." or "This doesn't work because..." It's not personal such as, "This sucks because you did it." A lot of times I see stuff on here and other places and ask myself, "Why are they posting that? Do they have any pride in what they do?" There's a lot of crap out there and I've noticed that just because people have photoshop or whatever they think their stuff is worthy of being seen by the masses. WRONG!!! When you post your stuff, please take a step back and compare it to the best or someone you respect and see if you're in their ball park. I don't mean yours has to be as good as the best, but a sloppy recolorization or just sloppy design is just bad. Take some time and make it good, make yourself look good. Present it well. If it's not up to par and set the standard high, then hold onto it until you can meet that criteria. I don't post a lot because I haven't had the time, but there are things that I'll do just to see what it looks like and then that's it, it stays on my computer and goes nowhere else. It's just there's so much crap out there that I see as a graphic designer because everyone's got a copy of photoshop and whatever other graphic program, that it just sickens me to see. Have a standard for yourself when you present and idea or a concept. Make it look good, and then take the criticism and make your project look good.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although I still don't like crossovers in general I think that is a well executed concept TfoA.

...and I love your sig

lol, thanks.

Thanks for the compliments on the crossover, but I basically did it to show dude that, well, if you're gonna do a crossover, make it feasable. ^_^

Actual quote
this is awesome idea but the jerseys need to be cleaned up make them like the HBCU project those are awesome concepts and i think these jerseys would look good if there that clean

Quote tranlated into English

This is an awesome idea, but the jerseys need to be cleaned up. Make them like the HBCU project. Those are awesome concepts and I think these jerseys would look good if they that clean.

This is not a text message on your phone. How hard is it to include punctuation marks to create sentences and capitialize letters?

wow, you have nothing better to do then correct peoples grammer. ha wow.

oddball, I thought that was very well said.

Jake, most of the more mature people around here do expect proper grammar and spelling. I don't know how old McCall because I don't feel like looking, but really anyone that is 15/16 and up might as well talk like an adult, and I'm sure McCall is just thinking like one. I mean, come on, you are in high school, what are you gonna do on the writing section on the SATs? Good spelling doesn't seem like so much to ask for to me.

I have no idea why I'm not using the quote feature. ^_^

why is everyone so negative and critical on here?

Since you opened this can of worms, I'll tell you why and this comes from somone who just graduated as a graphic designer. #1 he asked for criticism. I spent 2.5 years of getting criticism every two weeks even on things I thought were great, and they were ripped apart and I was told this or that doesn't work. It wasn't because the teacher or person telling me that hated me, it was well, it didn't work for them and they were saying that. A lot of times what they said was right. It was done to make me a better designer. You have to know and understand that constructive criticism is there to make you better. Constructive criticism is, "I don't like this because..." or "This doesn't work because..." It's not personal such as, "This sucks because you did it." A lot of times I see stuff on here and other places and ask myself, "Why are they posting that? Do they have any pride in what they do?" There's a lot of crap out there and I've noticed that just because people have photoshop or whatever they think their stuff is worthy of being seen by the masses. WRONG!!! When you post your stuff, please take a step back and compare it to the best or someone you respect and see if you're in their ball park. I don't mean yours has to be as good as the best, but a sloppy recolorization or just sloppy design is just bad. Take some time and make it good, make yourself look good. Present it well. If it's not up to par and set the standard high, then hold onto it until you can meet that criteria. I don't post a lot because I haven't had the time, but there are things that I'll do just to see what it looks like and then that's it, it stays on my computer and goes nowhere else. It's just there's so much crap out there that I see as a graphic designer because everyone's got a copy of photoshop and whatever other graphic program, that it just sickens me to see. Have a standard for yourself when you present and idea or a concept. Make it look good, and then take the criticism and make your project look good.

Very well put! It annoys the piss out of me when people say "This is my concept, but its not done and I don't think it looks good...but what do you think?"

That is VERY different from "This is my concept, I have done what I can but I feel there is something missing and can't put my finger on it...what do you think?" or "This is my concept, I think it's the best I have ever done. What do you think?"

You should never post something to see if your on the right track. If you have an idea than create your idea, then ask others what they think.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I have noticed that over the last couple of years, the concepts posted on the board have really for the most part gone down dramatically in terms of quality. Lately, the vast majority of posted concepts have been rushed paint concepts that are extremely pixelated and quite uninspired for the most part. For one, this illustrates a lack of pride in the part of those who post these concepts. Concepts anymore seem to have gone down the road where they are no longer posted to present an idea or to ask for feedback to genuinely improve. Anymore, they seem to be almost a fad, where rushed, sloppy concepts are thrown up just for supposed forum cred.

Another issue revolves around paint itself. Blaming subpar work on the program doesn't fly. There are free options out there, like Gimp and Inkscape, so not using them because you don't feel like learning them or because you can't be bothered to spend fifteen minutes installing them is not a reason to produce junk.

Also, when posting something, you need to take a second to perceive the reaction of the community before clicking the "post" button. Do you actually think that you're going to be given mad props for tracing hockey striping on a football uniform or posting a bunch of black alternates for teams that don't even have black as a color? Do you think that you're going to be praised for posting something pixelated with striping that continues off the template? And to those who keep defending subpar work, you're going the poster a disservice. This isn't the second grade anymore; self esteem isn't going to magically turn a five-minute concept into a masterpiece.

Perhaps the most significant change that this trend is causing is that those who actually post quality work are being chased away. When one person comments with a design by staying "dat's c00L!!1!!1," while subpar ones keep getting bumped by work that wasn't even taken seriously by the poster, there's a problem. Heck, I don't even post concepts anymore because of this very issue. If I need feedback on a fantasy package, I just ask my fellow league members instead of bothering with the concepts board.

So, as I get off my soapbox, all I can stress is that anyone who posts a concept needs to seriously think before hitting the send button.

VmWIn6B.png

If you want to see good examples of crossovers, dig up the old Iron Crossover challenges, or just look up ICS' old posts. It sucks that people gave him a hard time to the point where he doesn't post here anymore.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actual quote
this is awesome idea but the jerseys need to be cleaned up make them like the HBCU project those are awesome concepts and i think these jerseys would look good if there that clean

Quote tranlated into English

This is an awesome idea, but the jerseys need to be cleaned up. Make them like the HBCU project. Those are awesome concepts and I think these jerseys would look good if they that clean.

This is not a text message on your phone. How hard is it to include punctuation marks to create sentences and capitialize letters?

wow, you have nothing better to do then correct peoples grammer. ha wow.

oddball, I thought that was very well said.

Jake, most of the more mature people around here do expect proper grammar and spelling. I don't know how old McCall because I don't feel like looking, but really anyone that is 15/16 and up might as well talk like an adult, and I'm sure McCall is just thinking like one. I mean, come on, you are in high school, what are you gonna do on the writing section on the SATs? Good spelling doesn't seem like so much to ask for to me.

I have no idea why I'm not using the quote feature. ^_^

I'm 26, btw, 27 in a couple months. And believe me, when talking, I am definately not the best at proper English, nor do I claim to be. And when people correct people on things like "whom" instead of "who" and picky crap like that, it annoys the hell outta me. But here, this is an issue of simply writing everything as one giant sentence and not doing the most basic of writing the English language. That's just pure laziness and idiocy, to be frank. I'm mean, you're typing on your computer. How hard is it to look back over something, any mispelled words, punctuation errors, or what not and correct them before hitting the post button? And it seems to be the same people who nowadays are posting the rushed, no thought involved concepts that get ripped apart and all they do is reply. "You suck. You don't know anything." and yada yada because they don't have maturity to understand what it is, and what they say and how they say it (as far as the grammatical part of what they type) added to their response is what really shows their immaturity, and is the reason so many established members here, and new ones who actually understand what constructive criticism is and can accept it, get so irritated with these people.

So to answer you're question, jake, no. At the moment, I don't have anything better to do than to correct people's grammar. (There's no 'e' in grammar.) Thus, I'm officially on grammar patrol. B)

And David, that too is a perfect example of a crossover. Well done.

Adding my 2 cents on the grammar/spelling debate:

This site attracts the attention of professional design firms and sports teams. Many of the people who post serious concepts are either already in the industry, or looking to break in somehow. Now how does it look to one of these professionals when a potential employee types like a chimp with a developmental disorder? Whether you agree with it or not, the ability to write and speak in clear English is a very important deciding factor for many career paths out there. If you insist on typing with atrocious grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary, you're setting yourself up for disappointment somewhere down the road. You come off as lazy, or even worse, stupid. That's not a combination that gets ahead in life. (Unless you work in the entertainment industry, of course.)

Although I still don't like crossovers in general I think that is a well executed concept TfoA.

...and I love your sig

lol, thanks.

Thanks for the compliments on the crossover, but I basically did it to show dude that, well, if you're gonna do a crossover, make it feasable. ^_^

The Wild crossover is really nice. I love the jersey.

As far as your sig goes. I miss Toonces.

Adding my 2 cents on the grammar/spelling debate:

This site attracts the attention of professional design firms and sports teams. Many of the people who post serious concepts are either already in the industry, or looking to break in somehow. Now how does it look to one of these professionals when a potential employee types like a chimp with a developmental disorder? Whether you agree with it or not, the ability to write and speak in clear English is a very important deciding factor for many career paths out there. If you insist on typing with atrocious grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary, you're setting yourself up for disappointment somewhere down the road. You come off as lazy, or even worse, stupid. That's not a combination that gets ahead in life. (Unless you work in the entertainment industry, of course.)

:trophy:

I also enjoy how this has turned into half English lesson, half concept thread. Has the original designer even replied after the initial critique?

Sorry, I have been out of town the last couple days on college visits. As for the messiness of my concepts, I am rather new to making concepts and all I have is MSPAINT. I know it isn't a great excuse because a lot of people make great work using MSPAINT. I think I am beginning to get the hang of it though. As many of you have commented, you don't like the crossing over using the same design as the actual jersey. I have thought about it, and I will create new concepts from scratch that have no resemblence to the actual jerseys. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Sorry, I have been out of town the last couple days on college visits. As for the messiness of my concepts, I am rather new to making concepts and all I have is MSPAINT. I know it isn't a great excuse because a lot of people make great work using MSPAINT. I think I am beginning to get the hang of it though. As many of you have commented, you don't like the crossing over using the same design as the actual jersey. I have thought about it, and I will create new concepts from scratch that have no resemblence to the actual jerseys. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Great to hear that you listened to the criticism and will take it as an educational lesson in concepts rather than personal dislike. Good to know some can distinguish the two. Just a little critique on your comment about MSPaint. The program actually had nothing to do with your intial concept getting the reaction it did. In this case, it strictly was the design in general. The only thing the program can be blamed for is execution of said design, and while we may not have agreed with the route you took on the concept, it was well executed, nonetheless. Not sloppy at all. But you, unlike others in the past, realized what everybody was saying and seem appreciative of the ideas put forth by others, who may have more experience than you on the subject. That, my friend, is a giant step towards becoming a better artist. Well done, and now, we all look forward to your future work. Now those who said this was awesome and not to listen to us, well, take their compliments as such. They liked you're work and you should feel good about that. But being able to seperate someone's personal liking of how something looks and the professional-type of critiquing is what makes better artists.

And I'm done rambling on. I think I might have been pretty repetitive on some stuff. I'm watching Texas Tech/Texas A&M right now and typing so I take no responsibility for any such incoherent speech. :D

Here's my first one: the Minnesota Wild.

C&C

MinnesotaWildfootball3.jpg

You are defently getting there. If I may suggest two things.

1. I used paint when I started doing concepts and they didn't look too great. So, I suggest Paint.net (www.getpaint.net). It has improved my concept cleanliness as well as the speed I can do them in. (It might take some geing used to but its worth it!)

2. I HIGHLY suggest JEWJ's/BigMike's templates. I used them for my last concept and (I thought) it looked great.

Keep working at this, I'm shure it will look great when you get through it!

Here's my first one: the Minnesota Wild.

C&C

MinnesotaWildfootball3.jpg

You are defently getting there. If I may suggest two things.

1. I used paint when I started doing concepts and they didn't look too great. So, I suggest Paint.net (www.getpaint.net). It has improved my concept cleanliness as well as the speed I can do them in. (It might take some geing used to but its worth it!)

2. I HIGHLY suggest JEWJ's/BigMike's templates. I used them for my last concept and (I thought) it looked great.

Keep working at this, I'm shure it will look great when you get through it!

Thanks for the support. I think I am going to stick with the current template for the rest of this thread, but I have made some other concepts with LEWJ's and BigMike's templates. Thanks to LEWJ and BigMike by the way for those. Anyways, I expect to get an Anaheim Ducks one done by the end of the day.

Here is the Ducks. I kept their striping in a way, but put it on the shoulders. I made the piping orange because it looked better than when it was gold. I also changed their numbers. Forgive me if Pronger's number isn't 97 I'm not positive. One more thing quick: the helmet is a little sloppy and I am sorry about that.

Enjoy. C&C.

AnaheimDucksfootball2.jpg

Archived