NFL Considering Playing Games In the Spring

buzzcut

The best case would be to have the Super Bowl played the day before Presidents day, when public employees are LIKELY to be off (I know some schools are open, necessary public works, etc...) but it is the day of the year with the most people calling in sick.

But the problem with that is it would be the same day as the Daytona 500, which has always been run the day before Presidents Day. No way in hell do you have the top 2 sporting events of the year in terms of ratings go head to head against one another

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

If you want spring football, bring back the XFL!

No need to bring back the XFL. The NEW USFL is coming in 2010.

I wouldn't count on that. That's a long ways away, and they don't exactly inspire a whole lot of confidence.

I would much rather watch a new USFL or the old XFL in the spring than another NFL game. There's whole new layer of drama that comes with watching an upstart league that's bound to fail. It's bizarrely compelling.

i like this idea. i would have nfl all year round!

kidding, these guys need their offseason with football being such a tough and strenous sport

i like the idea because i love watchin football at any time, only problem i see is it's an exhibition, meaning pre-season game, meaning 3rd and 4th stringers. no fun in that

Maybe they should play the Pro Bowl in the Spring

Great idea!

I'm 100% opposed to a longer NFL Playoff, maybe drop an exhibition game and turn it into a regular season game. I mean, let's face it by the 4th exhibition game you've got guys who are fighting for 3rd string QB or 8th string WR.....or something way down the depth chart.

But the truth is, why mess around too much with something that's working really well?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The NFL is always trying to find new and better ways to suck more money out of everyone's pockets, that's why.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

While I am always fond of more football, I do question the utility of spring exhibition games...unless these would become the "overseas games".

I have no problem with an expanded regular season, or an expanded playoff; I assume the NFL would only expand to a 14 or 16 team tournament, which should not lengthen the postseason any.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If they want to do spring games, I think it would be better to schedule the international games then. I don't think its fair that one team loses a home game for the season. Not to mention the extra traveling both teams have to do.

Also expanding the playoffs is a horrible idea. They are perfect as they are. If they expand the playoffs, half the league would make them and thats just not right. There would almost always be a team with a losing record in the playoffs. I like upsets and underdogs but that is just too much.

My say on this: Move the Super Bowl to the last Sunday in January. And maybe 16-team playoffs would be nice (it'd be more intense, that's for sure). And if there'll be one Spring game, make it exhibition. I like exhibition games because they ease me into the season without playoffs mattering.

ffsfasfd.gifsigyj5.png

The best case would be to have the Super Bowl played the day before Presidents day, when public employees are LIKELY to be off (I know some schools are open, necessary public works, etc...) but it is the day of the year with the most people calling in sick.

But the problem with that is it would be the same day as the Daytona 500, which has always been run the day before Presidents Day. No way in hell do you have the top 2 sporting events of the year in terms of ratings go head to head against one another

The Daytona 500 would end up moving to another weekend if the NFL ever played the Super Bowl on Presidents Day weekend. If the tv networks had their way the NFL playoffs would be played during February sweeps weeks with the Super Bowl being played either the last Sunday of February or the first Sunday of March.

The NFL is always trying to find new and better ways to suck more money out of everyone's pockets, that's why.

And this is different from every other corporation in America how, exactly?

The federal goverment isn't going to bail out the NFL... :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I wouldn't count on that. That's a long ways away, and they don't exactly inspire a whole lot of confidence.

I would much rather watch a new USFL or the old XFL in the spring than another NFL game. There's whole new layer of drama that comes with watching an upstart league that's bound to fail. It's bizarrely compelling.

Might I add the AAFL and the minor league UNGL (both set to start in early 2009) into the mix?

YOZXkBG.png?1

Might I add the AAFL and the minor league UNGL (both set to start in early 2009) into the mix?

No, you may not, because both are dead.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No, you may not, because both are dead.

Oh. I was just wondering anyways. But yeah you're right, both are pretty much goners.

YOZXkBG.png?1

The Daytona 500 would end up moving to another weekend if the NFL ever played the Super Bowl on Presidents Day weekend. If the tv networks had their way the NFL playoffs would be played during February sweeps weeks with the Super Bowl being played either the last Sunday of February or the first Sunday of March.

Wasn't that actually considered a couple of years ago?

Archived