Longest major title droughts

SteveR

This is a little off topic, but the other day I got to thinking about the opposite: cities that have won at least three out of the four major pro sports championships (World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals and Stanley Cup). If you go back to 1967 (the year of the first Super Bowl) there are currently nine such markets in the U.S.:
  1. Boston (Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins)
  2. Chicago (White Sox, Bears, Bulls)
  3. Detroit (Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings)
  4. Los Angeles/Anaheim (Angels, Dodgers, Raiders, Lakers, Ducks); LA also qualifies by itself without the Anaheim-based teams
  5. Miami (Marlins, Dolphins, Heat)
  6. New York/northern NJ (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils); NYC also qualifies by itself without the NJ-based teams, since the Jets were still playing at Shea Stadium when they won Super Bowl III
  7. Philadelphia (Phillies, 76ers, Flyers)
  8. Pittsburgh (Pirates, Steelers, Penguins)
  9. San Francisco/Oakland (A's, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors)

What got me thinking about this is the fact that a tenth market could soon be joining this list: Tampa-St. Petersburg (Bucs, Lightning and possibly the Rays). In fact if the Rays win the World Series, Tampa-St. Pete will become the first market to win titles in three sports all in the 21st century.

The Knicks won the NBA title in 1973.

This is a little off topic, but the other day I got to thinking about the opposite: cities that have won at least three out of the four major pro sports championships (World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals and Stanley Cup). If you go back to 1967 (the year of the first Super Bowl) there are currently nine such markets in the U.S.:
  4. Los Angeles/Anaheim (Angels, Dodgers, Raiders, Lakers, Ducks); LA also qualifies by itself without the Anaheim-based teams
  6. New York/northern NJ (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils); NYC also qualifies by itself without the NJ-based teams, since the Jets were still playing at Shea Stadium when they won Super Bowl III

What got me thinking about this is the fact that a tenth market could soon be joining this list: Tampa-St. Petersburg (Bucs, Lightning and possibly the Rays). In fact if the Rays win the World Series, Tampa-St. Pete will become the first market to win titles in three sports all in the 21st century.

What about Boston? Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots. Unless I'm misreading that somehow...

IUe6Hvh.png

What about Boston? Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots. Unless I'm misreading that somehow...

You are right, first in the 21st century was Boston.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Sorry... I can not feel bad for Cubs fans. I have to think that they are the same fans who got to enjoy Michael Jordan and his 6 championships!

It seems that the "qualifying" cities have had their other teams to fall back on regarding success in terms of a Championship. So, being that we have 3 "Major" sports teams... I would say Cleveland is in the worst shape.

The NHL is in Columbus becasue it was growing and developing more than Cleveland. Currently, there are more people living in Columbus. There is no arena competition for the 'Jackets. Even though, they have yet to make the Play-Offs... they still draw really well. There is not enough money for NHL prices in Cleveland. The New (2 years) AHL Monsters should be fine in Cleveland. They drew pretty well last year. They have Dan Gilbert owning them and can pimp them along with the Cavaliers for some Cross Marketing.

In 1971 Baltimore had the Orioles, Colts and Bullets all in the Championship game in the same year. Only one won it all though. :cry:

But if you go back to 1948 Baltimore has won titles in NBA, MLB, and NFL. And...the CFL and USFL as well!

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

In 1971 Baltimore had the Orioles, Colts and Bullets all in the Championship game in the same year. Only one won it all though. :cry:

But if you go back to 1948 Baltimore has won titles in NBA, MLB, and NFL. And...the CFL and USFL as well!

Thanks Baltimore - not just for the '83 World Series, but also for taking the Philadelphia Stars and parlaying them into a USFL title!

Anyway, there was a stretch in the span of 8 months where all 4 Philadelphia sports teams were in their season's championship game

NHL: Islanders defeated Flyers in Stanley Cup Finals in May 1980

NBA: Lakers defeated 76ers in NBA Finals in June 1980

MLB: Phillies defeated Royals in World Series in October 1980

NFL: Raiders defeated Eagles in Super Bowl XV in January 1981

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Wouldn't it be harder for Cleveland since we don't have an NHL team, therefore we are still suffering longer?

Well by living in Cleveland, I'd say you're probably suffering every day, so I'll gladly surrender the title of "Suck Town USA" to you.

I kind of wish we had a hockey team. Columbus doesn't deserve one the only thing they are good for are the Buckeyes. Cleveland is a city full of loyal fans and I have no doubt that they would embrace a hockey team well.

So loyal the Barons stuck around a whole two years. I have to step in here because I'm tired of this perception that Cleveland/Cincinnati somehow deserve something over the State's capital. 40 years ago both cities were much larger and hence why they have NFL and MLB franchises, but Columbus has been one of the fastest growing cities in the United States over the last 20 years and now all three are comparable in size. Columbus is a big enough city to support NHL hockey. Once they start winning, which will be soon, the fans will show up again. We aren't stupid in Columbus, we aren't going to pay to watch them finish 13th year after year. The Blue Jackets are very popular in Columbus, but attendance has dropped because of the economy and the fact that they don't appear to be getting any better (to the casual fan). High school and youth hockey is getting big in Columbus while it's declining in other parts of the state.

Reasons why Cleveland/Cincinnati wouldn't work for the NHL: In Cleveland you have that whole thing where the team has to share the arena with the Cavs and the spotlight with the Browns and Indians. Cleveland had its shot with the Barons, nobody went. Nobody goes to the AHL games either. The Blue Jackets have lasted 4 times as long as the Barons and they own their arena. Cincinnati isn't as large a city as everyone thinks, and they also don't have an NHL quality arena, and wouldn't likely build one after building new football and baseball stadiums.

Point is, the NHL didn't decide that Columbus deserved a team. John H. McConnell and the City of Columbus decided they were going to bring major sports to Columbus and they did. That's why they aren't in Cleveland and that's why they aren't in Cincinnati. It's a study in perception versus reality.

Putting this as nicely as I can, Cleveland isn't that cool.

end rant/ back to topic.

IIRC, didn't the WHA put a team in the Cleveland area right around the time the Barons were starting? If that's the case, I think it's more a matter of not enough support to go around than a lack of loyalty of the Cleveland fans.

When compared to Columbus it isn't even a contest. If everything was starting from scratch we'd have The Columbus Browns (or Bengals), The Columbus Cavs, The Columbus Indians (or Reds) and The Blue Jackets. I have lived in the area of both of Cleveland and Columbus and I have to say that other than their lack of a lakefront, Columbus wins on every point.

BB52Big.jpg

When compared to Columbus it isn't even a contest. If everything was starting from scratch we'd have The Columbus Browns (or Bengals), The Columbus Cavs, The Columbus Indians (or Reds) and The Blue Jackets. I have lived in the area of both of Cleveland and Columbus and I have to say that other than their lack of a lakefront, Columbus wins on every point.

There are a lot of cities, that if the major sports leagues were starting up today, wouldn't have their teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

IIRC, didn't the WHA put a team in the Cleveland area right around the time the Barons were starting? If that's the case, I think it's more a matter of not enough support to go around than a lack of loyalty of the Cleveland fans.

The NHL Barons moved into town after the Crusaders left. The Crusaders started strong, but then built an arena out in the Boonies, had horrible attendance, and eventually moved to St. Paul as the Minnesota Folding Saints 2.0.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You are right, first in the 21st century was Boston.

Yes, I stand corrected. Actually Tampa would merely become the first market to win their first title in each of three sports in the 21st century (i.e. without having won any titles before then). The Bucs won their first title in 2002-03, the Lightning in 2004, and possibly the Rays in 2008. For Boston, only the Patriots won their first championship in this century; the Red Sox and Celtics both won titles in the 20th century as well.

CCSLC signature.png

Sorry for not being more clear... but, yes... that is what I meant. Columbus and its metro area has outgrown Cleveland. Plus they have even more room to grow. Infrared makes a valis point... but, we could say that about a lot of cities. If Cleveland didn't build Jacobs (Progressive) Field or the football stadium, Columbus might have.

Some people... probably just talk... feel that if LeBron did leave. TheCavaliers would suffer enough to where the Cleveland fans would ignore the team. This would then give a prefect opportunity to Columbus to lure them.

Back on topic...

It really is amazing that Tampa has found this much suucess rather quickly with the Lightning and Rays when you really think about it.

Back on topic...

It really is amazing that Tampa has found this much suucess rather quickly with the Lightning and Rays when you really think about it.

Well Miami had the same success...

Marlins entered the league in '93 and won WS in '97 and '03

Panthers entered league in '93 and were in the Cup in '96

Heat entered league in '89 and took a little longer winning the NBA Finals in '06

Dolphins entered the AFL in '66 and won the Super Bowl in '71

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I don't think any conversation about title droughts can go without Seattle.

Since the Sonics won in 1979, the Sonics/Blunder franchise could go on to their 30th season without a title.

Both the M's and Seahawks will reach 35 seasons without a title.

Do the math. 35+35+30 = 100 total seasons without a champion.

Wouldn't it be harder for Cleveland since we don't have an NHL team, therefore we are still suffering longer?

Well by living in Cleveland, I'd say you're probably suffering every day, so I'll gladly surrender the title of "Suck Town USA" to you.

I kind of wish we had a hockey team. Columbus doesn't deserve one the only thing they are good for are the Buckeyes. Cleveland is a city full of loyal fans and I have no doubt that they would embrace a hockey team well.

So loyal the Barons stuck around a whole two years. I have to step in here because I'm tired of this perception that Cleveland/Cincinnati somehow deserve something over the State's capital. 40 years ago both cities were much larger and hence why they have NFL and MLB franchises, but Columbus has been one of the fastest growing cities in the United States over the last 20 years and now all three are comparable in size. Columbus is a big enough city to support NHL hockey. Once they start winning, which will be soon, the fans will show up again. We aren't stupid in Columbus, we aren't going to pay to watch them finish 13th year after year. The Blue Jackets are very popular in Columbus, but attendance has dropped because of the economy and the fact that they don't appear to be getting any better (to the casual fan). High school and youth hockey is getting big in Columbus while it's declining in other parts of the state.

Reasons why Cleveland/Cincinnati wouldn't work for the NHL: In Cleveland you have that whole thing where the team has to share the arena with the Cavs and the spotlight with the Browns and Indians. Cleveland had its shot with the Barons, nobody went. Nobody goes to the AHL games either. The Blue Jackets have lasted 4 times as long as the Barons and they own their arena. Cincinnati isn't as large a city as everyone thinks, and they also don't have an NHL quality arena, and wouldn't likely build one after building new football and baseball stadiums.

Point is, the NHL didn't decide that Columbus deserved a team. John H. McConnell and the City of Columbus decided they were going to bring major sports to Columbus and they did. That's why they aren't in Cleveland and that's why they aren't in Cincinnati. It's a study in perception versus reality.

end rant/ back to topic.

Columbus is an amazing city. I would love to live there someday.

Sorry for the off-topic-ness.

GO PHILLIES!

Does anyone think there's a chance of breaking the Curse of Billy Penn?

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Archived