Sign in to follow this  
ilovenj

Best NCAA Logos

The North Dakota Logo is a simple, non-cartoon profile of a human being. Regardless of past discrimination, Notre Dame's Leprachaun, Wake Forest's Demon Deacon, and Purdue Pete are much more "racist" by the "stereotype" or derogatory depiction argument since they are cartoons. Just because there is historically frequent discrimination against a particular heritage does not automatically make any outside representation of it "racist". I'm not saying it doesn't happen cleveland indians but in these cases- no.

Best Logo- Bevo.

A muscular guy with a hammer is a derogatory depiction of a Boilermaker (a metal-worker)?!?!? If you try to claim this is more racist than an Indian mascot then you're out of your mind. :huh:

I am not claiming it is, hence the quotation marks (those mean sarcasm); I used an example showing a flaw in the logic. Purdue Pete was just a human mascot that came to mind off the top of my head. I probably could've used Mich State instead. The Sioux is more accurately depicted in that particular logo, while the others are a "stereotypical caricature"- meaning they could be considered "hostile and abusive" and "dehumanizing" using the same standard the Indian logos are judged by (I heard 4 years of that at Illinois). One is no more derogatory than the other, in my opinion, and none of the aforementioned logos have any grounds to be called racist.

SMU's mean Peruna:

185823770_o.jpg

Dear God! I usually love old school cartoony logos, but that's horrible. It manages to have an emaciated body and a HUGE head. Yes, I know some of the size can be explained by the perspective of the head coming forward, but not enough for the head to be the same size as the rest of the horse.

My favorite is a homer pick -- old school Maryland Terrapin leaning on an M (see my sig).

Another huge homer from here too (and I know our football team is the worst this year), but Washington State has the best college logo! Thank you Randall Johnson!

Best Current:

colo_univ.gif

[/homer]

Best Classic:

unc_classic.gif

I always thought this was a very unique logo.

9ru6ujcdibakxn9gfege.gif

I'm a FSU grad but I love that logo. It is a shame they dont use it anymore.

BryantBulldog%20(web).jpg

Bryant_alt_logo.jpg

probably the worst of this whole thread

from the overused stock font to the uninspired Bulldog head

that is when picking your school's logo goes wrong

The classic Phoenix, beveled Serpentine font. Unfortunately there's about 10 other schools they've done with the same exact type treatment. Can't believe they still get work.

Being a homer as well, the West Texas State (now West Texas A&M) monogram:

186520619_o.jpg

Porky the Javelina from Texas A&I (now Texas A&M Kingsville):

186524632_o.jpg

The Lee College Johnny Reb:

186527329_o.jpg

Point Loma Nazarene Sea Lions

Sea%20Lion%20Logo.jpg

WTF? Nice design, but this a sea lion.

Sea%20Lion%20485002.jpg

That is a wet jungle beast.

qbghxffuhv9c1cfjghds5cmdo.gif

This is my favorite logo in college sports.