Lack of Jewish Universities in NCAA

gueman

Brandeis University Football?

I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking it.

They're undefeated since like 1959 aren't they?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe race was the word I was looking for instead of ethnicity, but I thought race was too strong. What I mean is that there are stereotypical traits that apply to (among others) people of European, African, Middle Eastern, and "Jewish" descent. In many people's eyes, someone who is born of Jewish parents (who bear the stereotypical Jewish physical traits) who chooses to practice another religion (or none at all) is still considered by most to be Jewish - as if it is a race and not a religion.

EDIT:

It's a hard for me to articulate what I'm trying to say, so to put it a different way, Hitler wanted to exterminate the Jews. If I'm the person I described above, who was born from Jewish parents with the middle-eastern physical traits that many identify with Jews, yet I'm the most devout Christian that there could be, chances are I'm still targeted for extermination. Sorry for the dramatic comparison, but like I said, it's tough for me to explain.

I know exactly what you mean yet I too can't really describe it. If you just saw me in line at the supermarket or walking through times square, all you would know is that I'm white. You can tell race--that's an ascribed status (I think, there was one other term from Sociology 101, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track in that an ascribed status is something you can't control or do anything about--I have brown eyes, that's an ascribed status, so is the color of your skin, your height, etc.) but you can't tell religion. I'm just some regular tall lanky white dude. So I know what you mean in that sense. You wouldn't know I was Jewish unless you heard me using say, yiddish slang mixed in with english (I'm schvitzing over here) or saying something like "oy vey" as opposed to "oh my" or something.

I think a lot of it has to do with the way Jews portray themselves in society. Not that it's a bad thing or anything...it's just "different"--if that makes any sense? It's common threads that we have among us. We do things similar ways in the community (through temple programs, etc.) wherever that community may be. There are a lot of things that "separate" us from others. And I'm not saying that in anything but a positive way. But it is very hard to describe--it's one of those things.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I think the best explanation is there aren't many athletically talented Jews. I always joke that I have to work 100x harder at sports than anybody else because I'm a jew. Haha.

And as for the money and jews joke, get over it guys, its not like you haven't heard it and laughed at it before.

If jew jokes are okay then lets hear some black & gay jokes too.

Did you hear the one about the black, gay, Jew? Of course not.

Sammy Davis, Jr and Rod Carew. Two out of three ain't bad.

I would have gone with Isaac Mizrahi and Harvey Fierstein, but whatever. :P

Still just two out of three. Anybody know if RuPaul is Jewish?

I leave it to you to check for aardvark or anteater.

And thanks for the tale, lbr. I originally thought, due to your tale of woe and nice Jewish boys, that you were, yourself, a tribe member, and therefore had some insight into the situation.

And good for you for standing your ground against mom; Jewish boys are nice and all, but the old story goes, "good provider, no peter," amiriteladiesangentlemen?

You're quite welcome! Sorry I was kind of rude about the "missy" thing... anyway, I don't like talking about religion, but if you must know, I was raised as a "member of the tribe" and had a Bat Mitzvah and everything, but I don't follow the religion (or any for that matter) because I don't believe in it. I don't think I'll get into Brandeis anyway... It's looking right now that I will be entering Georgia Tech in the Fall of 2009.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Brandeis University Football?

I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking it.

It's because their mommies are too worried that their poor babies will break their backs playing rough and tumble football!

I applied to Brandeis... the only college I applied to without a football team. My mom wants me to meet a nice Jewish boy to marry! What an old tale.

Sounds like she must be from Merrick...or one of the 5 towns.

She was born in Massapequa and lived there until age 10, when she moved to Dix Hills. I lived in Jericho until age 14, when I moved to Georgia.

Massapequa home of the Baldwin brothers. There's a guy who's an announcer for the Kings who's an alumni of Syosset High School, I always tell him he should have gone to Jericho.

The "meet a nice Jewish boy to marry" brought back many memories of my friends when I was growing up on the Island.

Archived