2008 World Series

Swiss

250px-WS08_POSTSEASON_3D.jpg

Let's start the Official Thread about the 2008 World Series between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies!

1 October 22 Tropicana Field

2 October 23 Tropicana Field

3 October 25 Citizens Bank Park

4 October 26 Citizens Bank Park

5* October 27 Citizens Bank Park

6* October 29 Tropicana Field

7* October 30 Tropicana Field

* - If necessary

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just get this out of the way now.

1B: Howard vs Peña. Advantage: Phillies

2B: Utley vs Iwamura. Advantage: Phillies

SS: Rollins vs Bartlett. Advantage: Phillies

3B: Feliz/Dobbs vs Longoria. Advantage: Rays

C: Ruiz vs Navarro. Advantage: Rays

LF: Burrell vs Crawford. Advantage: Rays

CF: Victorino vs Upton. Advantage: Rays

RF: Werth vs Baldelli/Gross. No advantage. Push.

SP: Hamels/Myers/Moyer/Blanton vs Shields/Kazmir/Garza/Sonnastine. No advantage. Push.

RP: Phils relievers with Lidge as closer vs Rays relievers with closer-by-committee. Advantage: Phillies.

Add 'em up and ... well, it's a push. Making no predictions other than hoping for the Phillies to break a quarter-century drought for the City of Philadelphia.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Will Sonnastine pitch Game 1?

Or Maddon would prefer Kazmir? I think better let Sonnastine play so Kazmir could rest some time more.

pennants.png

I'm very excited for the Rays, what resolve they had to stay and win game 7 and advance to the World Series. I think these teams have the same sort of spunk with the Rays being a slighter younger version of the Phillies. I'm looking forward to a great World Series.

Consider this a preview of my MLB v4.1 sig set (which I probably won't get around to completing until next spring training or so).

mlbphiladelphianlchampssw3.png

mlbtampabayalchampsfp9.png

I've been slowly getting back into Major League Baseball this year, and this is the first playoffs I've followed in their entirety since the strike. I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I think as long as the Rays can keep Brad Lidge out of any save situations, they'll be in good shape.

CCSLC signature.png

Tampa Bay Rays in 7

I think this can go either of two ways. This could be over real quick like (as in a sweep) or this one will go down to the very bitter end (7 games)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I will be completely neutral in this series.

Part of me wants to see the Rays complete thier magical season with a WS win, but part of me wants to hear Harry "High Hopes" Kalas call a WS victory for the Phils.

Consider this a preview of my MLB v4.1 sig set (which I probably won't get around to completing until next spring training or so).

mlbphiladelphianlchampssw3.png

mlbtampabayalchampsfp9.png

I've been slowly getting back into Major League Baseball this year, and this is the first playoffs I've followed in their entirety since the strike. I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I think as long as the Rays can keep Brad Lidge out of any save situations, they'll be in good shape.

You could say the same thing about the Rays keeping Dan Wheeler out of any save situations. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

I want to see how the extended rest works for the Phillies. Will it help them or will they come out flat like the Rockies and Tigers did in the past two years. I'm looking forward to a good series.

It would be nice if the Phillies win the World Series for Charlie Manuel. Few days ago his mother died and he did manage against the Dodgers despite his personal pain.

Winning the Series will be an exceptional show of character for Manuel and his players.

pennants.png

Props to the Rays for pulling off what the Yankees and Indians couldn't in the past.

Not that I have much interest in a Rays/Phils matchup... I will be pulling for Philly, but honestly think the Rays will make this look easy.

Tampa Bay wins in 5, and Florida baseball goes a perfect 9 for 9 in playoff series.

6uXNWAo.png

Props to the Rays for pulling off what the Yankees and Indians couldn't in the past.

Not that I have much interest in a Rays/Phils matchup... I will be pulling for Philly, but honestly think the Rays will make this look easy.

Tampa Bay wins in 5, and Florida baseball goes a perfect 9 for 9 in playoff series.

Perfect 9 for 9? Remember 9=8? :D

I want to see how the extended rest works for the Phillies. Will it help them or will they come out flat like the Rockies and Tigers did in the past two years. I'm looking forward to a good series.

Let's remember... last year, the Red Sox went all the full 7 games of the ALCS. And the Rockies swept the NCLS. And the rest rusted the last team.

In 2000, the Yankees needed 6 games to advance to the World Series while the Mets only 5. But the first one beat the other in 5.

For the 1996 World Series, the Yanks beat the Braves in 6 games. They came from a rest because they eliminated the Orioles in 5 while the Braves needed a full series to win the NL pennant.

So let's see how the Phillies' rest is handled and if it will bring positive consequences for them.

pennants.png

The Phils stayed active during this break and it's not like they were on an amazing hot streak like the Tigers or Rockies. Howard doesn't have a HR yet and 3 of their starters hit under .200 in the NLCS. The Phils have the better bullpen, the top pitcher in the playoffs and more playoff experience (and more All-Stars and MVPs ^_^ ). Tampa is favored right now because they have home-field advantage and they just eliminated the defending champs last night. Kruk and Phillips picked the Phils on Baseball Tonight...

I don't see the rest as a good thing - I was hoping that if the Rays were going to win this, that they could hold on to the 7-0 lead so they'd have the rust too.

I think this is going to be a very tough series between two pretty evenly matched teams.

My gut tells me that the Phillies would get smoked in game 1 regardless of who they faced. Maybe it's just years of watching this team come up short, but they sometimes seem to get overwelmed by a rockus crowd and a hot team that has the momentum. The only thing that may make that different is that Cole Hamels is just such a flake that he probably isn't even aware that this is the big stage, so he may not get flustered. Hopefully Rollins, Utley, Howard, et al are seasoned enough to block out the distractions and come to play - this would be a horrible time for them to slump. It seems like they're either all hot or all cold together.

They need to be patient, TAKE PITCHES (you hear me J-Roll, you dope!) and work the count. Get the crowd bored, and take away that advantage. Drag the game out and get into the TB bullpen as early as possible. They can certainly do that... it just seems like they get excited too much and hack at the first pitch a lot.

I'd be shocked if this didn't go the distance (or at least be close games, some very low scoring and some very high scoring.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Let's just get this out of the way now.

1B: Howard vs Peña. Advantage: Phillies

2B: Utley vs Iwamura. Advantage: Phillies

SS: Rollins vs Bartlett. Advantage: Phillies

3B: Feliz/Dobbs vs Longoria. Advantage: Rays

C: Ruiz vs Navarro. Advantage: Rays

LF: Burrell vs Crawford. Advantage: Rays

CF: Victorino vs Upton. Advantage: Rays

RF: Werth vs Baldelli/Gross. No advantage. Push.

SP: Hamels/Myers/Moyer/Blanton vs Shields/Kazmir/Garza/Sonnastine. No advantage. Push.

RP: Phils relievers with Lidge as closer vs Rays relievers with closer-by-committee. Advantage: Phillies.

Add 'em up and ... well, it's a push. Making no predictions other than hoping for the Phillies to break a quarter-century drought for the City of Philadelphia.

You're match-ups are incorrect. The firstbaseman don't bat against the other firstbaseman and so on. So here's the actual match-up:

Phillies line-up vs Rays pitchers

Rays line-up vs Phillies pitchers

Overall, I give the edge to the Rays in a very close 7-game series.

Tampa Bay Rays, 2008 World Champions

Archived