2008 World Series

Swiss

BULLSH1T!!! I have class tomorrow night, and now may have a tough decision to make. I'm in my last semester of grad school, and really can't afford to miss a session of this particular class. On the other hand, it's the world effing series. I'm hoping like hell that it's pouring rain tomorrow so that they can't play.

Is your Prof a Phillies fan?

Theoretical Computation. Teacher is from the Ukraine. He doesn't give a F about baseball. Only one other student in the class is American - so the rest of the class doesn't give a F about baseball.

Dang, well you can make up the class, you cant make up seeing your team win.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BULLSH1T!!! I have class tomorrow night, and now may have a tough decision to make. I'm in my last semester of grad school, and really can't afford to miss a session of this particular class. On the other hand, it's the world effing series. I'm hoping like hell that it's pouring rain tomorrow so that they can't play.

Is your Prof a Phillies fan?

Theoretical Computation. Teacher is from the Ukraine. He doesn't give a F about baseball. Only one other student in the class is American - so the rest of the class doesn't give a F about baseball.

Dang, well you can make up the class, you cant make up seeing your team win.

I need to actually learn what he's teaching - book / other materials aren't enough, at least for me. I have too much invested in this, and I'm too close to my MS to fudge it up now. It's going to be a tough decision. I'm really, really, hoping for poopy weather tomorrow.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow, that guard is an idiot but who cares. I am glad you got in. Great experience I am sure.

I wouldn't say he was an idiot - maybe just a little apathetic.

At the Eagles, there is contracted-security pat downs before you can even enter the staff entrance. Then, there is a guided walkway to a lineup of computer stands where you have to scan your ID. There is a guard in between each terminal, who will not step to the side until your card scans correctly. If someone isn't scheduled and tries to get in, they'll be caught. There really isn't any room for anyone to "hook a brother up". I guess I credit the Phillies a little bit for that - even though it really isn't that safe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow, that guard is an idiot but who cares. I am glad you got in. Great experience I am sure.

Yeah, I shouldn't call him an idiot. If I were in his position I wouldn't care. I would let some random dude enjoy the game. I would be happy to do it. Too strong on my part.

My apologies for my above posts. It's kinda frustrating when you're pretty much told that yes, your team would've won if they would've postponed the game earlier and then no, the commissioner of baseball likes to ignore the rules. But I guess I'd rather have a complete game decide the World Series than for a spontaneous celebration to erupt and be made to feel like we didn't earn it.

Anyway... from the way they're talking about the weather today, it looks like this ain't gonna get done until tomorrow and by then, it'll be colder than it was last night -- low 40's with wind chills in the low 30's.

Of course, while I hope this series doesn't leave Philadelphia, the fact that this may get postponed another day gives both teams a chance to seriously consider bringing back their aces on three days rest in Game 7, should there be one (which there won't be... right? Right.)

BBTV, you are a legend, and you are one of the ballsiest people I know. You, my friend, have giant, elephant sized chutzpah. I'd be too afraid of getting arrested and sentenced to community service or something.

philly.png

The Rays have just scored to tie the game at 2-2 and have given the officials the PERFECT opportunity to suspend this farce and finish it when the weather is better, even if that's tomorrow or the next day.

And they have. Phillies fans will probably feel screwed by the tarp's late arrival.

The World Series would have ended and Philly would be champs had the game ended due to rain before the Rays tied it.

Can you imagine the discussions there would be right now if this had happened to the Cubs? One out, no one strike, from winning the World Series for the first time in 100 years, only to give up a run in the pouring rain and have the tarp come out? The brains of every Cub and Cub fan would explode and they'd go on to lose the series despite a 3 games to 1 lead.

BBTV rocks. That's a great story, especially since it's not just some random game, but the World Series. I had a friend who got into the Metrodome during the 7th inning of Game 7 in 1991 to watch the end of the game because the ticket takers were gone by then. He just walked right in.

I learned at a young age going to car races, which are notorious for having all kinds of restricted areas where you either need to pay more to access the area where the cars or kept or for safety reasons, that if you just stride right in like you own the place, you will seldom be questioned. You need to sometimes dress the part and make sure your timing is right, but often if you look like you belong there, others will often assume the same.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The Rays have just scored to tie the game at 2-2 and have given the officials the PERFECT opportunity to suspend this farce and finish it when the weather is better, even if that's tomorrow or the next day.

And they have. Phillies fans will probably feel screwed by the tarp's late arrival.

The World Series would have ended and Philly would be champs had the game ended due to rain before the Rays tied it.

Can you imagine the discussions there would be right now if this had happened to the Cubs? One out, no one strike, from winning the World Series for the first time in 100 years, only to give up a run in the pouring rain and have the tarp come out? The brains of every Cub and Cub fan would explode and they'd go on to lose the series despite a 3 games to 1 lead.

BBTV rocks. That's a great story, especially since it's not just some random game, but the World Series. I had a friend who got into the Metrodome during the 7th inning of Game 7 in 1991 to watch the end of the game because the ticket takers were gone by then. He just walked right in.

I learned at a young age going to car races, which are notorious for having all kinds of restricted areas where you either need to pay more to access the area where the cars or kept or for safety reasons, that if you just stride right in like you own the place, you will seldom be questioned. You need to sometimes dress the part and make sure your timing is right, but often if you look like you belong there, others will often assume the same.

This is very true for most venues. There are some that really are "air tight", but I'd say that if you have a good story, and tell it to yourself enough so that you actually believe it, and you're not a total jackass, you can BS your way into a lot of cool situations. Sunday was more a blue-collar sneak job, but last night was a little more legit.

Back to the WS - Bud Selig has stated that they hope to make a decision early in the day about the game. Based on the weather outside now, there is no way this game will happen tonight. The weather guys are predicting that it will be clear by 8:00 PM (albeit freezing!), but if they want to make the call early, they may not have a choice but to hold off until tomorrow - which would work out perfectly for me.

Also, the Rays are now staying at some hotel in Wilmington Delaware, because they were only booked in Phila. through last night, and I guess there is no vacancy now (which surprises the hell out of me, considering the amount of rooms in the city.)

WIP (Philly radio) reporting MLB is finishing up a press release to postpone the game tonight

Another quick note: local stations showed workers boxing up the World Series Champions shirts but they weren't allowed to show the design. The shirts are gray...

Ok, here's my glass half full outlook for the Phils...

1) Treating the continuation of the game as a new game, the Phils automatically have an extra half inning on offense

2) The Phils still have home field

3) The Phils can wait out the storm at home. The Rays are road weary, and stuck in a hotel 40 miles away

4) Assuming Hamels doesn't continue, the Phils can plug any bench player into the leadoff spot, and there won't be the automatic "thrown into the game" situation

5) Just being in the area for this length of time, the team from Florida's going to be a lot more uncomfortable

6) Calling the game earlier and handing the trophy over to the Phils would have put an * on the win. At least this way there won't be any doubt should they pull it off

VmWIn6B.png

Ok, here's my glass half full outlook for the Phils...

1) Treating the continuation of the game as a new game, the Phils automatically have an extra half inning on offense

2) The Phils still have home field

3) The Phils can wait out the storm at home. The Rays are road weary, and stuck in a hotel 40 miles away

4) Assuming Hamels doesn't continue, the Phils can plug any bench player into the leadoff spot, and there won't be the automatic "thrown into the game" situation

5) Just being in the area for this length of time, the team from Florida's going to be a lot more uncomfortable

6) Calling the game earlier and handing the trophy over to the Phils would have put an * on the win. At least this way there won't be any doubt should they pull it off

Agreed on all points, with a comment about #6. There will be some doubt now no matter what. That being said, there was NO good solution to this problem. I don't envy Selig's job at all right now. I don't see any decision that he could have made that would have been acceptable to everyone.

Oh yeah - how could I forget?

We were in the first row of the OF during Rays BP, and were harassing the players as much as possible. There were your typical stupid uncreative remarks of course, but then I started yelling at the guy closest to us "hey - what's the team name this week? Are you the Sting Rays? Devil Rays? Sun Rays? Are you fish, or light? Tell your marketing department to get a clue - BRAND IDENTITY, JACKASS!!! " The guys in the section started chanting "JACKASS" to whoever the TB player was. Joe Maddon then came into the OF and was talking to someone (I want to say it was Upton, but it may not have been) so I yelled "hey Joe - we don't have mowhawks or mullets, but we can give you some cowbells" Then our whole section just started yelling "ding ding ding ding ding... " They looked up at us in disgust.

At the Eagles, there is contracted-security pat downs before you can even enter the staff entrance. Then, there is a guided walkway to a lineup of computer stands where you have to scan your ID. There is a guard in between each terminal, who will not step to the side until your card scans correctly. If someone isn't scheduled and tries to get in, they'll be caught. There really isn't any room for anyone to "hook a brother up". I guess I credit the Phillies a little bit for that - even though it really isn't that safe.

Does the new Eagles stadium have a court room in it like the Vet did?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Does the new Eagles stadium have a court room in it like the Vet did?

The judge left to run for State Supreme Court in 2003, so since the mid point of that season, there hasn't been an "Eagles Court." They still have holding cells and police breifing rooms. On a couple of occasions, I've had to identify people who were locked up, and give statements. The police tried to make me go district court to make a statement to the judge, but I refused because it was a night game and with the amount of fans going in front of the judge, I wouldn't have been out of there until after midnight, and had a 7:30 AM meeting at work the next day. I remarked that this wouldn't be an issue if they still had a judge on site - I was then lectured by police about how I'm what's wrong with the justice system, because I won't do my part to get anyone locked up.

Me and some were down there last night to hang out in the parking lot and watch from the outside. I am still bummed because of the rain there last night, although it was a great time still. I'll definitely be back down there tomorrow.

We saw someone try to climb in by the one ramp. He almost got in, was at the top of the fence, but a cop from the inside made him jump down. He was swarmed by the security, but he somehow got out of it and booked to the parking lot. Props to him.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Me and some were down there last night to hang out in the parking lot and watch from the outside. I am still bummed because of the rain there last night, although it was a great time still. I'll definitely be back down there tomorrow.

We saw someone try to climb in by the one ramp. He almost got in, was at the top of the fence, but a cop from the inside made him jump down. He was swarmed by the security, but he somehow got out of it and booked to the parking lot. Props to him.

Amateur.

One positive from last night: In between one of the later innings, the Phillies ballgirls came out on top of the visiting dougout and danced around with the Phantatic. The ballgirl outfits are basically tight Phillies uniforms, but with pinstriped short shorts instead of pants. Needless to say, it was pretty cool to watch them out there shaking they azz in the rain.

Archived