2008 World Series

Swiss

Or maybe Gammo knows what he's talking about, Bostonian or no.

Anyhow, I take the Phils in six. You never root for the team that beats you.

When the :censored: has Peter Gammons been right in the last...oh, say, 20 years or so?

Let's give the fossil some credit. Afterall, he did correctly predict the World Series winner in 2007, 2004 and 1918.

I think that's a nice way of saying he's 3 for 90 on those picks.

Well, if he picked the Cubs, he'd be 0 for the last 100. So, 3 for 90 looks pretty good in comparison. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the :censored: has Peter Gammons been right in the last...oh, say, 20 years or so?

Let's give the fossil some credit. Afterall, he did correctly predict the World Series winner in 2007, 2004 and 1918.

Man, oh, man, I'm laughing out loud...! That was really a good joke. :D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

OK, so let's see...

Is it "Cole and Brett and pray for wet"?

Depending on which Brett shows up (minor league Brett, or post-minors minus a few bad outings Brett) it could be Cole, and pray for a power outage.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that's a nice way of saying he's 3 for 90 on those picks.

But wait ... there's more!

ws08predictions-1.png

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I think that the 4-0 and 4-1 picks are just silly. It is very reasonable to predict a Rays win (however it is not unreasonable to predict a Phillies win too) however I don't see any way that this series goes less than six games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I always trust Neyer, Kurkjian, and Keith Law more than Gammons.

Does anyone else think Jim Caple looks like Jay Mariotti in that picture? (and Chicago still manages to make its way into WS conversation)

I thought that was Mariotti, so yes. Of course, Mariotti knows even less about baseball than Gammons, so they couldn't have asked him for a pick.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From that philly.com article:

Should we beware a Florida curse? The Phils will face the Tampa Bay Rays, and Tampa has had our number before. In 2003, the Buccaneers broke fans' hearts here by beating the Eagles to reach the Super Bowl, which they won. The next year, the Tampa Bay Lightning zapped the Flyers to make the Stanley Cups Finals, which they won.

In other Florida frustrations, in 2003 the Phillies had a mid-September division lead, but the Miama-based Marlins prevailed, going on to win the World Series.

To push the point, the Eagles lost the 2005 Super Bowl ... in Jacksonville.

oh and to further bury Philly in Florida. In 1996 the Miami-based Panthers took out the flyers to reach the ECF.

:D

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

ESPN SportsNation: 60% overall and 47 out of 50 states pick the Rays. wtf... <_<

1. Why does it matter who anyone is picking to win? We'll know for sure who actually does win soon enough. If 47 states picked the Phillies to win, but they lost in 5, would that make it any better?

2. The Rays are good, and just beat the defending world champions (not to mention they won one of (if not the) toughest divisions out there.) It is pretty easy to see how they would be favored by Johnny Average MLB Fan. Picking the Rays to win isn't the same as saying "Philly Suxx0rz!!!!1!"

2. The Rays are good, and just beat the defending world champions (not to mention they won one of (if not the) toughest divisions out there.) It is pretty easy to see how they would be favored by Johnny Average MLB Fan. Picking the Rays to win isn't the same as saying "Philly Suxx0rz!!!!1!"

Plus they're a feel-good story with young kids and a charismatic (maybe that's too strong a word, but I can't think a of a better one right now) manager that's easy to get behind. People's hearts are saying the Rays, and the poll reflects that, but I'd bet their heads are saying the Phillies.

I always trust Neyer, Kurkjian, and Keith Law more than Gammons.

Does anyone else think Jim Caple looks like Jay Mariotti in that picture? (and Chicago still manages to make its way into WS conversation)

I thought that was Mariotti, so yes. Of course, Mariotti knows even less about baseball than Gammons, so they couldn't have asked him for a pick.

Well, does anybody else think that Wojie looks like the guy from ER and Top Gun?

I agree with earlier sentiments, how can an expert pick a sweep in a final series? This is of course barring major injuries going in or other extenuating circumstances. You would think that unless one league is miles ahead of the other that each team could win at least one game based on their own merit.

And yes, I know there have been championship sweeps before. But who predicts that?

Hey, who from the Phillies would be the DH?
Game 1: Backup catcher, Chris Coste.

Really? :blink:

I don't mind putting Coste in the lineup, but why not put Coste at 1st and DH Howard? Coste at DH means that if anything happens to Ruiz, you're putting Werth behind the plate.
Ugh! The Backstreet Boys singing the anthem. This is what Tampa is reduced to? Not only that they are buthchering the hell out of the song. Washed up loser has beens.
Agreed, they made Carl Lewis look good.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived