Anyone else see this?

dcameronh

As a gray facemask supporter, i think it looks great.

As a fellow gray facemask enthusiast, I second that!

Now I know we're all uniform and logo enthusiasts with our own likes and dislikes, but I have never understood the hatred some people have for gray facemasks!

It is my personal belief that the facemask is a utilitarian piece of equipment that really has no bearing on the rest of the uniform. Moreover, gray facemasks are usually neutral enough that they shouldn't bug people. What bugs me are colored facemasks!!!

I don't know man, colored facemasks work more than grey. But whatever...

Gray facemasks work for some teams, but not all. I don't believe you can just slap it on any modern helmet and get away with it.

Case in point: the Arizona Cardinals. They seriously need to paint those things red or black, just anything but gray!

Yeah, by beloved Bengals would look horrible with a gray facemask.

Now I know we're all uniform and logo enthusiasts with our own likes and dislikes, but I have never understood the hatred some people have for gray facemasks!

It is my personal belief that the facemask is a utilitarian piece of equipment that really has no bearing on the rest of the uniform. Moreover, gray facemasks are usually neutral enough that they shouldn't bug people. What bugs me are colored facemasks!!!

Gray facemasks work for some teams, but not all. I don't believe you can just slap it on any modern helmet and get away with it.

Case in point: the Arizona Cardinals. They seriously need to paint those things red or black, just anything but gray!

I wholeheartedly agree with you guys regarding your grey facemasks comments about Bengals and Cardinals. It bugs the hell out of me that the Cardinals have grey facemasks. Why not Red? or White????

As for the 49ers...I've always thought that their newest look deserved a WHITE face mask instead of red. It would bring a cleaner look to the helmet IMO. I think the grey is a good start, but the white would be better.

I wholeheartedly agree with you guys regarding your grey facemasks comments about Bengals and Cardinals. It bugs the hell out of me that the Cardinals have grey facemasks. Why not Red? or White????

As for the 49ers...I've always thought that their newest look deserved a WHITE face mask instead of red. It would bring a cleaner look to the helmet IMO. I think the grey is a good start, but the white would be better.

Kind of like the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars of the USFL. That would be an interesting look.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

Kind of like the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars of the USFL. That would be an interesting look.

Actually...YES.

I remember exactly what the looked like and I think it would work really nicely.

Personally, I don't like it for the Niners. To me, the facemask should be in tune with the rest of the color scheme. The Giants grey facemask is awesome, because it fits the color scheme, but when a team like San Fran or Cleveland goes with it, it looks out of place.

I believe the Cardinals helmet work because the shell is white, and the grey blends with it.

bSLCtu2.png

i love grey facemasks and i love the grey facemask debate. it still doesnt mean it works for every team. if you have an old school uniform, it can work. the bears could do it, but the blue still looks fine. the cardinals, no. black would be my choice, but keeping the grey mask and adding grey to that uniform would look even better. i loathe white facemasks with exception of texas. as for the niners, grey just works best in my opinion.

I do think the Steelers would look nice with gray facemasks. I think it's the image I have always had in my head of Terry Bradshaw with his little bitty gray facemask that he wore early in his career. For some reason, I would dream about that helmet as a kid. I suppose it was because of the Mean Joe Greene commercials that were going on then when he tossed the kid his jersey after the kid gave him a Coke. I would go to sleep at night imagining Bradshaw giving me his helmet, and it was the one with the gray facemask. For some reason, shortly after that time, I became a Bengals fan. Weird.

A gray facemask works on only 1 team: The Browns. Other than that, everybody needs to stop. If they're going to go retro, go all the way and wear what you wore back when you HAD to have a gray facemask. Now we have the miracle of paint, and most teams look better with the colored facemask, IMO.

Archived