Differences between AL and NL

Swiss

I'd like to know your personal appreciation about all the (past and present) differences between the AL and the NL in its way of playing baseball.

One is, of course, the Designated Hitter, but there are more differences. Which of them are notorious for you?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

AL: I appreciate the Detroit Tigers.

NL: Everything else.

Swap Twins for Tigers and I echo it. The DH is the primary reason.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I love the NL style small ball. While the Phillies win largely with the home run, being able to produce runs using fundamentals is, to me, the core of the game. I associate that more with the NL.

I love the strategy of pinch hitting and double switches. I love the fact that the #8 hitter matters as much as anyone else in the lineup.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Since it's the same players and management shuffling between each league, the only difference to me is the DH. The DH bugs the crap out of me. It's absurd that there's just one position singled out, where you don't have to be a complete baseball player, i.e. field your position and bat.

Since it's the same players and management shuffling between each league, the only difference to me is the DH.

When were the same players and managers not moving between leagues?

That's the point...because the players shuffle, the only difference is the DH.

Of course, I love the NL small-ball type game. Sacrifices, Double Switches, taking out your pitcher in the 7th because you're down a run and want that pinch hitter to drive in a couple, etc. With the DH, you lose so much of what makes the game great.

Now if you'll excuse me, Hank Steinbrenner is telling me to get out of the 1800's and get with the times...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Does the AL still have the 1 AM (local time) curfew for starting a new inning? IIRC the AL, but not the NL, used to have a rule suspending the game if any inning ended after 1 AM with the game still tied. I don't know if they still have it, or if they've even had to use it at all in recent years.

CCSLC signature.png

Does the AL still have the 1 AM (local time) curfew for starting a new inning? IIRC the AL, but not the NL, used to have a rule suspending the game if any inning ended after 1 AM with the game still tied. I don't know if they still have it, or if they've even had to use it at all in recent years.

I know the Tigers and Yankees ended a game at 2 or 3 something in the morning last year, so I'd imagine no...

I know the Tigers and Yankees ended a game at 2 or 3 something in the morning last year, so I'd imagine no...

If I can take an educated guess? I think that rule went away when the two leagues "merged" back in the early '90s. I remember when they had league presidents, umpiring crews in each league, and even had different sets of balls with AL and NL markings. I think even one league had or still has 1 more ump on the field than the other.

Kyle

packchampionslfroh.png

Since it's the same players and management shuffling between each league, the only difference to me is the DH.

When were the same players and managers not moving between leagues?

Wasn't there a lot of "interleague trading" restrictions back in the day? For the most part, didn't players and managers usually spend most of their careers in only one of the leagues? Obviously, free agency has changed that a lot.

EDIT:

Coming back in a pennant race should be easier now than it was 20-30 years ago, for at least three reasons: There are no interleague trading restrictions anymore; the unbalanced schedule gives second-place teams more opportunities to play first-place teams; and more clubs are more anxious to deal veterans for financial reasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It still might exist. However they do waive it in the case of a late start do to some delay. I remember years ago in the late 90's the Yankees- and Tigers played a 4pm an 7pm double header. The first game that started at 4 didn't end until about 9:30-10pm because of extra innings. MLB then wived the 1 pm rule for the second game.

It still might exist. However they do waive it in the case of a late start do to some delay. I remember years ago in the late 90's the Yankees- and Tigers played a 4pm an 7pm double header. The first game that started at 4 didn't end until about 9:30-10pm because of extra innings. MLB then wived the 1 pm rule for the second game.

Granted this was in the NL, but in 1993 the Phillies and Padres had so many rain delays during a double header, that the second game didn't start until 1:30 AM... and ended (on a Mitch Williams pinch hit RBI) at 4:41 AM!

Granted this was in the NL, but in 1993 the Phillies and Padres had so many rain delays during a double header, that the second game didn't start until 1:30 AM... and ended (on a Mitch Williams pinch hit RBI) at 4:41 AM!

Remember, back then, there were separate league presidents that handled situations such as these.

Call me an oddball (I'm rather used to it), but I like the DH in one league and not having it in the other. It offers a fun variation within baseball. To me, it's like having salt on some eggs, pepper on others. They're both good. So I like the AL because of the DH and I like the NL because it doesn't have the DH.

But because my favorite team (the Twins) is in it, I prefer the AL. And I'll bet most in herre would say they prefer one league or another because their team is in it.

Despite being a Brewers fan, I actually preferred the NL style of ball growing up. It just seemed much more fluid compared to the AL which seemed slower and more drawn out.

Unfortunately, by the time the Crew switched leagues, the NL had turned into the AL without a DH.

Despite being a Brewers fan, I actually preferred the NL style of ball growing up. It just seemed much more fluid compared to the AL which seemed slower and more drawn out.

Unfortunately, by the time the Crew switched leagues, the NL had turned into the AL without a DH.

Yes, it's kind of sad what the NL has become. The Cardinals were the perfect example of what an NL team should be. Now, the stolen bases, sac. bunts, and pitching strategy isn't nearly as important as it used to be because runs aren't as valuable as they once were when every game seemed like it was 2-1 or 3-2. Now with all of the home runs, it's just not the same.

Yes, it's kind of sad what the NL has become. The Cardinals were the perfect example of what an NL team should be. Now, the stolen bases, sac. bunts, and pitching strategy isn't nearly as important as it used to be because runs aren't as valuable as they once were when every game seemed like it was 2-1 or 3-2. Now with all of the home runs, it's just not the same.

I hear ya...though at least homers have been coming down somewhat...not that it's still like it had been of course.

Along the same line, I'm glad Citifield is being designed as a pitchers park. Of course you won't know for sure how the ball will carry, how it plays, etc. If only they had more foul territory...but we all know why the new parks don't of course... (Though base to dugout I think will be larger than Shea...)

Archived