49'ers in classic 80's era look yesterday

mmejia

Let's leep these under-designed nothings in the past.

I'll take under-designed over over-designed anyday. These, though significantly flawed, are better than the current set.

It would be easier to fix the flaws in the throwbacks than those in the current ones.

I'm curious to find out specifically what you find flawed about these throwbacks AND the current set because I'm torn.

On one hand, I hate the old vegas gold, and horrible treatment of the pants, but love the simplicity of the red jersey. On the flip side, I love the inclusion of black into the current unis and actually kind of like the treatment of the numbers and the helmet but think it might be a bit much.

In the end I think they should have gone with the older throwback versions that they wore in their Superbowl victory during the Steve Young era. THOSE were sweet. I think these two incarnations fall waaay short of that old beaute.

My problems with the 1980s set:

1. pants stripes too wide
  2. bad shade of gold.

Use the modern gold and narrow the stripes to match the Packers or Cowboys, and it's a winner. I'd throw black shoes into the mix as well, especially to provide balance for those bothered by the lack of black elsewhere in the uniform (I'm not one of them).

My problems with the current set all stem from the same complaint: overdesigned.

1. Too much branding - do we really need an absolute minimum of six team logos?
  2. The cardinal red doesn't pop as much for me, even against the better gold. You need a perfect sunny day for the red to look good. Under artificial light, or even just a cloudy day, they're terribly drab.
  3. I also really hate the mismatched pants/helmet striping. One of my rules of great football design is the repetition of common themes, and nowhere is that better illustrated than having pants match helmet. But they don't. They're soooooo close, but the pants have these extra little gold stripes that screw the whole thing up.
  4. The sleeves are another problem. By the time this uniform made its debut, everybody knew that football jersey sleeves were a relic. But they've overburdened them with so many stripes (and the inevitable logo) that they don't ever actually look good on the field.

Fewer problems with the old set, so I'd use that as a starting point for a new design.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are things that could be changed from the old unis, but they are close to perfect. If one wanted to "modernize" the look, it would be easy.

1. Bring back the old helmets. I prefer the gray facemasks, but they can be scarlet if need be.

2. Go back to scarlet jerseys, except move the numbers onto the shoulders to accommodate the ridiculous jersey cuts of today. Keep the triple stripe on the sleeves, but make them gold with a while outline (red with a gold outline on the road).

3. No drop shadow numbers. I don't think you need to do more than solid numbers, but if you must, add a single thick gold outline.

4. Pants are metallic gold, with a standard width red-white-red stripe to match the helmet.

Can anyone do a concept of that?

I am fond of the 80's uni's partially because it was my mom's favorite team simply by their colors and Jerry Rice. I loved the rivalry between the 49ers and Saints back in the 90's when they were division opponents and am even greater that now we have the caliber team to beat them every year! :D ...

I was a fan of their change by including the drop shadow and I don't see it as a negative except for the stripes which IMO is overkill! Add to that the 'SF' logo plastered...er...forced into them a la' Dallas and it just makes the uniform look horrible. I believe that they have the logo on their pants at the hip as well which I also hate when a team has stripes because it too is forced (Carolina) and not to mention the helmet lacking the gold stripes outside of the main red stripe to mimick the pants WTF? LSU also has this problem and it too bugs me!

Even on the retro jerseys they force the numbers on the sleeve to be authentic and plaster the Reebok logo in the middle of the stripe! UGGHH! But all in all I could prefer either set of the 49ers and it would be nice if they went back to the scarlet jerseys.

Here is my concept. I added gold outlines to all the white ones and numbers, kept the updated helmet logo and red facemask, added a wordmark, moved the #'s to the shoulder and reduced the width of the pants stripe considerably! C&C

449ers.png

I didn't see anything on the board about this, sorry if already discussed. I love this look, but know others aren't too crazy about it. Other than being Singletary's debut, was there any reasoning behind this look yesterday?

1fd1cee1-23cb-4de6-b0ca-d46cebf07eb5.jpg

c428fe99-1145-44d2-aa66-9076b74f963e.jpg

09000d5d80bf804d_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d80bf9249_gallery_600.jpg

I really wish they went back to these, or at least kept them as an alternate jersey. It seems they only wear them once a year. =(

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

There are things that could be changed from the old unis, but they are close to perfect. If one wanted to "modernize" the look, it would be easy.

1. Bring back the old helmets. I prefer the gray facemasks, but they can be scarlet if need be.

2. Go back to scarlet jerseys, except move the numbers onto the shoulders to accommodate the ridiculous jersey cuts of today. Keep the triple stripe on the sleeves, but make them gold with a while outline (red with a gold outline on the road).

3. No drop shadow numbers. I don't think you need to do more than solid numbers, but if you must, add a single thick gold outline.

4. Pants are metallic gold, with a standard width red-white-red stripe to match the helmet.

I am fond of the 80's uni's partially because it was my mom's favorite team simply by their colors and Jerry Rice. I loved the rivalry between the 49ers and Saints back in the 90's when they were division opponents and am even greater that now we have the caliber team to beat them every year! :D ...

I was a fan of their change by including the drop shadow and I don't see it as a negative except for the stripes which IMO is overkill! Add to that the 'SF' logo plastered...er...forced into them a la' Dallas and it just makes the uniform look horrible. I believe that they have the logo on their pants at the hip as well which I also hate when a team has stripes because it too is forced (Carolina) and not to mention the helmet lacking the gold stripes outside of the main red stripe to mimick the pants WTF? LSU also has this problem and it too bugs me!

Even on the retro jerseys they force the numbers on the sleeve to be authentic and plaster the Reebok logo in the middle of the stripe! UGGHH! But all in all I could prefer either set of the 49ers and it would be nice if they went back to the scarlet jerseys.

Here is my concept. I added gold outlines to all the white ones and numbers, kept the updated helmet logo and red facemask, added a wordmark, moved the #'s to the shoulder and reduced the width of the pants stripe considerably! C&C

449ers.png

Is that Ricky Williams? :P

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'll take under-designed over over-designed anyday. These, though significantly flawed, are better than the current set.

It would be easier to fix the flaws in the throwbacks than those in the current ones.

I'm curious to find out specifically what you find flawed about these throwbacks AND the current set because I'm torn.

On one hand, I hate the old vegas gold, and horrible treatment of the pants, but love the simplicity of the red jersey. On the flip side, I love the inclusion of black into the current unis and actually kind of like the treatment of the numbers and the helmet but think it might be a bit much.

In the end I think they should have gone with the older throwback versions that they wore in their Superbowl victory during the Steve Young era. THOSE were sweet. I think these two incarnations fall waaay short of that old beaute.

2. bad shade of gold.

Use the modern gold and narrow the stripes to match the Packers or Cowboys, and it's a winner. I'd throw black shoes into the mix as well, especially to provide balance for those bothered by the lack of black elsewhere in the uniform (I'm not one of them).

My problems with the current set all stem from the same complaint: overdesigned.

2. The cardinal red doesn't pop as much for me, even against the better gold. You need a perfect sunny day for the red to look good. Under artificial light, or even just a cloudy day, they're terribly drab.
  3. I also really hate the mismatched pants/helmet striping. One of my rules of great football design is the repetition of common themes, and nowhere is that better illustrated than having pants match helmet. But they don't. They're soooooo close, but the pants have these extra little gold stripes that screw the whole thing up.
  4. The sleeves are another problem. By the time this uniform made its debut, everybody knew that football jersey sleeves were a relic. But they've overburdened them with so many stripes (and the inevitable logo) that they don't ever actually look good on the field.

Fewer problems with the old set, so I'd use that as a starting point for a new design.

Well, you pretty much summed up how I feel about them in those paragraphs.

The older throwbacks (I believe they were from the 60's) that I mentioned in my previous post could solve all of those problems provided they made the white pants gold and left everything else as it was. Even then, I don't mind the white pants, but they would have to have a little bit of gold in them to unify the look with the gold helmet.

2. bad shade of gold.

Good Lord!!! I agere with everything you just said!! BRILLIANT!!!! Packer fan... Viking fan... maybe ther IS a chance for world peace in our time.

449ers.png

I like this concept

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

449ers.png

I like this concept

Ted Ginn Jr.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived