NHL Goalie Masks

Sport

I believe they did this last year, but they put together another compilation of goalie mask closeups

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.1.html

My personal favorites are:

Curtis McElhinney, Martin Gerber, Alex Auld, Tim Thomas, Erik Ersberg, and Christobel Huet

My personal dislikes are:

Nabakov, Turco, Pascal Leclaire, and Giguere.

Just thought you guys would enjoy the gallery.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I believe they did this last year, but they put together another compilation of goalie mask closeups

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.1.html

My personal favorites are:

Curtis McElhinney, Martin Gerber, Alex Auld, Tim Thomas, Erik Ersberg, and Christobel Huet

My personal dislikes are:

Nabakov, Turco, Pascal Leclaire, and Giguere.

Just thought you guys would enjoy the gallery.

Turco's mask features the use of gargoyles, which some don't like, but it grew on me after game-after-game use by the Turk.

It took a while, but it grew on me.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

I'd like to start a WTF?! category; Andrew Raycroft (what is it?), Joey MacDonald (did he paint it himself?), Craig Anderson (if the panther is driving the car, shouldn't his head and body be facing the way the car is going? and why is there a car on it anyways?)

Personal favs; Vesa Toskala, Michal Tellqvist (a classic tribute to the Jets), Rick DiPietro, and of course CUJO!

Jose Theodore looked like he just slapped a Capitals sticker on the Avalanche foot.

jose-theodore.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

When Theodore was traded to the Avalanche, I remember for the longest time he simply slapped the Avs' footprint logo to cover the Habs logo. Looks like he's done the same here.

Tellqvist's masks have always been nice, even when he was in Toronto.

And kudos to Boucher and Lalime to choose great artwork from CCLSC (do they have permission though?).

And whatever the heck Andrew Raycroft is wearing, it looks crap.

Wade-sig.png

Theodore better have a mask better than that, that's just lazy.....

My perosnal faves:

Cujo, Roli's new mask, Biron, Lalime, Auld, Ellis, Thomas, Valiquette, Chris Mason & Garon

Dissapointed:

Theodore (for now), Mike Smith, Raycroft, Craig Anderson

Also, anyone else noticed this: Erik Ersberg is an update version of Kelly Hrudey's mask while in LA & Huet's mask is almost similar to Jeff Hackett's Blackhawk mask?

baltimoreravens.png

I'm an avid hockey fan and a goaltender and have paid attention to goalie mask designs for years. As a whole, I think the current NHL masks are terrible. While most are painted by very talented painters, they're usually filled with too much detail and intricacies that don't show up well from a distance. On the other hand, some look like they were painted by someone who airbrushes white t-shirts at the local flea market.

And kudos to Boucher and Lalime to choose great artwork from CCLSC (do they have permission though?)

Speaking of Lalime...

patrick-lalime.jpg

It looks like the image of the shoulder logo on his mask is the old goathead version, not the current, curvier, slug version.

Compare it with the shoulder logo on his jersey.

IeHVybT.png

Archived