Sather Saboutaging Rangers?

STL FANATIC

McLennan is probably one of the most underated goalies in the league. I don't know if he'll ever get a chance to start, or if he'd do good in that role, but he is arguably the best backup in the league (a lot would say Legace).

uh....Vesa Toskala??? HELLLOOOOOOOOO!!! :therock:

(okay, except for last night, he looked like duky. but nobody remembers because of what happened to poor marco :unsure: )

McLennan is probably one of the most underated goalies in the league. I don't know if he'll ever get a chance to start, or if he'd do good in that role, but he is arguably the best backup in the league (a lot would say Legace).

Noodles is inconsistent--when he gets hot, as he has a few times this season-he is very good--but when he's not--as he has also been-he's very ordinary at best--still I wish him well, now if only that trade was for Turek!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Noodles is inconsistent--when he gets hot, as he has a few times this season-he is very good--but when he's not--as he has also been-he's very ordinary at best--still I wish him well, now if only that trade was for Turek!

I remember when Turek was awesome with the Blues and McLennan was backing him up and they won the goaltender's award together...then the Blues got stunned by the Sharks, then the next year Turek got unfairly run out of town because the team lost to Colorado in the West finals and Turek hasn't been the same since. Noodles was then taken by Minnesota in the expansion draft. They both found their way to Calgary, but now both will be leaving likely.

Anyway, Shark, your right, he's pretty darn good now that I think about it. Don't know a lot about him though. The other thing is though, when I say Noodles might be the best, it's because he might be the best backup goalie as his position. This Toskula guy seems to me he will be a good starter somewhere. McLennan may never be a good starter, but always and awesome backup.

Sather's problem is that it is all but impossible to rebuild in NYC. Us New York fans, although unbeatably loyal, get restless watching prospects slowly and awkwardly grow into stars, in any sport. We don't want to lose any time grooming young players to win a couple years from now; we need to win today. Sather knows this and thinks the best way to revamp rather than rebuild is to throw money at any big name that becomes available (see: Lindros, Bure).

Sather was successful in Edmonton largely because he had greater ability to build the team as he saw fit without Joey from Rego Park calling for his head on WFAN. The stakes were not as high then and there and neither was the money.

The reason Brian Cashman and Isiah Thomas (so far) have been successful at revamping and/or restocking NYC teams is because they've made a lot of cunning moves and few mistakes. They've made moves that will help their teams in the long and short term and keep their faces off the back page of the Post.

Sather's moves have mostly been about instant gratification; he's been acquiring high-risk players with very limited windows of opportunity as far as playing to their potential. If they play to the best of their ability, they're unstoppable. But when they fail, they fail big time and their failure is magnified because of their stature (as witnessed by the last several years of Ranger hockey).

That said, I doubt any hidden agenda of Sather's to better Canadian teams. I mean, he hasn't even done that well, has he?

The moves that will always bother me are Stahers quick fix moves adding Linrot, Bure, and Jagr.

Meanwhile he has dont nothng to improve the teams defense.

He always adds offensive big names top sooth the casual fan, without thinking of chemistry or what players fit best.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sather's problem is that it is all but impossible to rebuild in NYC. Us New York fans, although unbeatably loyal, get restless watching prospects slowly and awkwardly grow into stars, in any sport. We don't want to lose any time grooming young players to win a couple years from now; we need to win today. Sather knows this and thinks the best way to revamp rather than rebuild is to throw money at any big name that becomes available (see: Lindros, Bure).

Sather was successful in Edmonton largely because he had greater ability to build the team as he saw fit without Joey from Rego Park calling for his head on WFAN. The stakes were not as high then and there and neither was the money.

The reason Brian Cashman and Isiah Thomas (so far) have been successful at revamping and/or restocking NYC teams is because they've made a lot of cunning moves and few mistakes. They've made moves that will help their teams in the long and short term and keep their faces off the back page of the Post.

Sather's moves have mostly been about instant gratification; he's been acquiring high-risk players with very limited windows of opportunity as far as playing to their potential. If they play to the best of their ability, they're unstoppable. But when they fail, they fail big time and their failure is magnified because of their stature (as witnessed by the last several years of Ranger hockey).

That said, I doubt any hidden agenda of Sather's to better Canadian teams. I mean, he hasn't even done that well, has he?

Exactement.

Alright, I feel the need to rant about this...

As a New Yorker, I find the notion that New Yorkers will not stand for a rebuilding process to be unfair and uneducated. New York fans are more savvy than the rest of the country (and world) gives them credit for. For example, the NHL tells us that Tom Poti is an all-star but we can see that he's actually a soft player with no defensive ability despite his size advantage.

Fact is, that if the Rangers would tell us that they're going into a rebuilding phase, and actually followed up on it and developed young talent, there would be little objection from New York fans. Yes, some would get angered and tired of losing, but the overall majority is knowledgeable enough to see what is going on and accept, if not embrace it.

However this is not what has happened in New York over the last 10 years. Repeatedly, young players have been drafted, ruined, and shipped out (Manny Malhotra, anyone?). At the same time, high-priced free-agents who may have had good seasons three, four years ago are brought in and expected to play as well as they ever have. But they are given no system, no coaching, and the team has no direction. This is why New York Rangers fans are angry.

What the future brings remains to be seen. I, for one, am suspicious of Sather's "attempt" to rebuild this organization. I don't think that he's trying to sabotage the team's future. It's just that I don't think he is capable of really building a team anymore. All he is doing is what he knows how to do, and that is to do whatever he can to save face for himself. He's not stupid. He knows that there have been doubts about him and calls for him to go to a youth movement. So what does he do? He says "I'll show them. I'll bring in some kids and maybe that'll work."

Ultimately Sather is a self-serving scumbag. He is no longer a good General Manager, and he is trying to hold onto everything he has for as long as possible. That's his sole motive. No helping Canadian teams. No hurting the Rangers. Just helping Glen Sather. It's up to owner Jim Dolan to finally wake up and see that. Hopefully one day he will.

Eactly Nate it has nothing to do with NY fans being impatient.

If they would have said we are rebuiliding in 1999 nobody would of had a problem, but they kept acquiring high priced players, shipping out rookies, and letting rookies like Malhotra rot on the bench.

The Rangers have been ass backwards in their thinking hey gave Vets countelss chances to make mistakes but when rookies messed up they would sit the rest of teh game instead of keeping them in theiur to learn and adjust.

Maholtra, and Marc Savard are 2 examples of players who were rottig on teh Rnagers without a fair chance at playing regurally.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived