Was Matt Millen planning to go black?

Blue Falcon

I remember the Apex Lion logo.

I have a silver, snap-up, quilted, Starter jacket with the Leaping Lion in blue on the left chest. I forgot I had it. It must be from the early 90's.

Sad but true...Wayne Fontes was the best coach the Lions have had in 50 years. Sigh.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt Millen made some of the worst football decisions of all time, yet got to keep his job for seven years. Seems like he wanted the Lions to resemble his former team, the Raiders. He instituted the alternate black jersey, black trim, and the black facemask in 2005.

My belief is that he wanted to eventually make the black jersey the primary one, and make the honolulu blue jersey the alt. Why? Well, I think it's because he felt the need to change the facemask to black, when it should have been left alone. Think about it: the black facemask looks good with either the black jersey OR the blue jersey (as seen with the Panthers)...but imagine how bad it would look if the Lions wore the black jersey with the original blue facemask!

Any of you Photoshop pros want to take a crack at this? In my mind, it looks pretty ugly...although not as ugly as the Lions play on the field this year. :D

The black jerseys wont be worn by the Lions this season, they have some horrible retro uniforms. They wore them this passed weekend.

The black jerseys are the horrible ones... the throwbacks from this passed weekend are much nicer than the Millenblacks.

Matt Millen made some of the worst football decisions of all time, yet got to keep his job for seven years. Seems like he wanted the Lions to resemble his former team, the Raiders. He instituted the alternate black jersey, black trim, and the black facemask in 2005.

My belief is that he wanted to eventually make the black jersey the primary one, and make the honolulu blue jersey the alt. Why? Well, I think it's because he felt the need to change the facemask to black, when it should have been left alone. Think about it: the black facemask looks good with either the black jersey OR the blue jersey (as seen with the Panthers)...but imagine how bad it would look if the Lions wore the black jersey with the original blue facemask!

Any of you Photoshop pros want to take a crack at this? In my mind, it looks pretty ugly...although not as ugly as the Lions play on the field this year. :D

The black jerseys wont be worn by the Lions this season, they have some horrible retro uniforms. They wore them this passed weekend.

As much as I hate retro, the retro uniforms the Lions wear are always going to be great to wear for nostalgia. Black Uni's were just disgusting in their own right. Death to black and bring back Honolulu Blue and Silver fulltime

I don't feel like starting a new topic, so I'll just post here. Does anyone know the logo that is on Wayne Fontes' jacket around the 2:05 range in this video? I swear I've seen it before... I just can't remember where....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ACXdm3Ebs

I really can't tell - it's not this, is it?

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=466

I don't think so... I think this logo uses an actual lion-skin tone, but its hard to tell...

UPDATE: Check out this photo:

wfire.jpg

This photo too...

hmmm....

Yeah its the top half of a leaping lion, with brown and tan coloring. Then a blue and silver stripe, then detroit lions written underneath it.

If I'm not mistaken, that logo was solely used by Apex1. I had a hat with it on there...man, I hated that hat, mainly because I hated the logo. I thought it was a fake Lions hat.

I don't blame you, it looked horrible. I hate logo inconsistency on officially-licensed team apparel.

Archived