RBK creating new NFL standard performance uniform

Gothamite

As reported on WFRV Green Bay's "Inside 1265".

Link to video on my blog, but be warned, you have to sit through a very annoying sponsor ad. From the station, not from me (if anybody can help me isolate and convert the Flash file I'd be in your debt):

http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2008/1...ting-1-2-3.html

So they're working on one standard template to be applied across the NFL. Skin tight, performance fabric, with stretchy numbers and even thread to create the curve-hugging silhouette so in demand this fashion season.

This could be the new jerseys that some of the Giants have been spotted in.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Well, if they adopt the same uniform template for all teams, some would have to change their jerseys to conform.

For the Packers, this isn't a big deal. You can add their stripes to virtually any uniform cut. But the Rams? Broncos? Bills? They and plenty of others have their uniform elements built-in to the cut, and the report indicates to me that they might have to change.

Well, if they adopt the same uniform template for all teams, some would have to change their jerseys to conform.

For the Packers, this isn't a big deal. You can add their stripes to virtually any uniform cut. But the Rams? Broncos? Bills? They and plenty of others have their uniform elements built-in to the cut, and the report indicates to me that they might have to change.

Technically aren't there different cuts for the Edge system?

One question....

Why?

Same reason as the NHL...money

Using a uniform template saves RBK money in production costs. A small handful of setups can produce all of the jerseys instead of having to do special setups for each team. All RBK has to do is swap out colours and things are pretty well set. No need to make all sorts of different dies and such. One set of programming for the stitching.

Not to mention a bunch of teams will get new jerseys...so a huge increase in revenue for RBK (and the league).

Technically aren't there different cuts for the Edge system?

I think there are a couple, although there was an indication that some teams felt compelled to drop their individual uniform elements (the Av's mountain-range hem, although Reebok denied telling them that). Maybe my comparison was imprecise - the video certainly seems a little unclear on exactly what is being proposed:

Announcer: The Reebok-developed jersey serves two main purposes: better performance, and league-wide uniformity.

Red Batty, Packers Equipment Manager: You look at an NFL team,(clip of Minnisota Vikings player) you got a variation of different types of jerseys. The Packers (clip of Aaron Rodgers) currently are using three different patterns on our jerseys. And the cloth is the same on all patterns. Now the NFL wants to get it to one pattern, one cloth. And that's the whole method behind this madness.

So they may be talking at cross-purposes. Batty indicates that the league might be wanting to ensure that all players on a single team have the same uniform cut, although he he could have been much more clear (he meant that each current jersey incorporates three different kinds of fabric).

The clear intent of the producer, however, is standardizing uniform templates across the League. That's the point of the shot of the Vikings. Now, is that because they misunderstood what he said in the video, or is it because of the things he said to them that didn't make it into the final edit? We have no way of knowing.

if the base garmet is built to a standard, it sounds like they can add any type of striping over top if it's the stretchy stuff the numbers are made from... right?

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Breath everyone.

Its amazing how many rumors around here get thrown around as fact.

I agree, but dispute that this is among them.

It's not like we're talking about some unsourced statements here, some anonymous blogger citing sources "close to the NFL". Six teams are testing the new jerseys, the Packers are one of them, and their equipment manager went on video to talk about it.

So what's not to believe?

Breath everyone.

Its amazing how many rumors around here get thrown around as fact.

I agree, but dispute that this is among them.

It's not like we're talking about some unsourced statements here, some anonymous blogger citing sources "close to the NFL". Six teams are testing the new jerseys, the Packers are one of them, and their equipment manager went on video to talk about it.

So what's not to believe?

That the whole league is going to change their uniforms. I wouldn't believe that for a second. There won't be one team that won't change unless they want to. Will there be teams that take advantage of the alleged uniform altercations to change their look? Possibly. But it won't come as a mandate from Reebok.

The way the fabric and everything is described, it will fit all current designs. We might even be able to get shoulder stripes on the Jets and Colts that go all the way around.

I say wait and see...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived