Logos that have nicknames

BBTV

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canucks - "Flying skate?"

Boston Bruins alternate "Winnie the Pooh"

Nordiques "Igloo"

Also, not sure if this has caught fire anywhere else but here in Regina amongst my friends, but I call the new 3d Ottawa logo "Mark Messier in a Senator Costume"

And also, the New Jersey Devils "Nasty Crap" or "Worst team ever"

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Sorry, went out drinking (I do have somewhat of a life you know!)

Will respond to all nominations in the morning.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seconding: Flying Skate, Robo-pidgeon (Pigeon), Winnie the Pooh, Goat Head, Picasso,

Thirding: Dead Admiral.

I love the example of the Ditka Bear. I looked at that and immediately said "holy crap." Dead on, but not really what we're looking for I don't think.

On Robo-pigeon, I knew exactly what they meant, and have heard it a ton; I strongly feel it belongs on the list.

And if I can nominate a second nickname for a logo already on the list....my beloved Titans' primary, the "Flaming Meatball."

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Oh, and idk if it was nominated or just mentioned before....but the LA Kings' Burger King.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I don't know about the Ball in Glove. It's just saying what it is. That would be like giving a friend with brown hair the nickname "Brown Hair". It just doesn't seem as much of a nickname as it is a description of the logo. Just one man's opinion.

A valid opinion, but I've already explained my reasoning for why I think that the BIG has transcended a mere "description", and has become an actual name.

To take it a step further, and to stay along the lines of your analogy, let's look at HOF pitcher Steve Carlton, AKA "Lefty". There are quite a few left handed pitchers out there, but only one Lefty. There could be a ton of other logos out there with balls in gloves, but only one Ball In Glove.

I thought Robo Pidgeon referred to the Penguins 1992-2000 logo.

Me, too.

I was indeed referring to that Penguins logo. Maybe I was Robo Penguin, and not Robo Pigeon. I'm starting to question myself on that one. Either way, I think it's becoming clear that it doesn't quailify for my list.

Me three.

Oh, and third the "Toonces" nomination.

Toonces, eh? I'm starting to give that one more consideration. Let me think it over (and get some opinions from more posters.)

How about the Pitt Panther that was on the helmet not that long ago? Wasn't that either T-Rex or the T-Rex Panther?

Isn't it DinoCat? I think that DinoCat might actually be one of those that belongs on the list, but maybe not on the first ballot. Anyone else have any thoughts about DinoCat?

I'd like to nominate a few here:

-DC United's original logo, the Nazi Eagle

-the Saints' Big Chin Guy

-the Coyotes' original logo, Picasso

-the Milwaukee Admirals' current, the Dead Admiral

-the Toronto Argonauts' previous helmet logo, the Boatman (or did the team officially call it that too?)

-Penn State's "Chipmunk"

-the Thrashers "Cereal Bowl"

-the previous Sabres logo, the "Goat Head"

Of those, I think that Picasso and the Goat Head are the closest to qualifying under my (admitidly not clearly defined and always changing) criteria.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seconding: Flying Skate, Robo-pidgeon (Pigeon), Winnie the Pooh, Goat Head, Picasso,

Thirding: Dead Admiral.

I love the example of the Ditka Bear. I looked at that and immediately said "holy crap." Dead on, but not really what we're looking for I don't think.

On Robo-pigeon, I knew exactly what they meant, and have heard it a ton; I strongly feel it belongs on the list.

And if I can nominate a second nickname for a logo already on the list....my beloved Titans' primary, the "Flaming Meatball."

Just when I'm about ready to officially reject Robo Pigeon, I see this. I'm really torn on this one!

As for the other suggestion, I've never heard of the Flaming Meatball, only Flaming Tack and Flaming Thumbtack.

Oh, and idk if it was nominated or just mentioned before....but the LA Kings' Burger King.

I think I may create a separate category for those bizarre NHL thirds, which would include Burger King, Wild Wing, Winnie the Pooh, etc.

As for the other suggestion, I've never heard of the Flaming Meatball, only Flaming Tack and Flaming Thumbtack.

Are we keeping this here strictly to sports logos? Because if not, then um...about that bolded part...

0904550.jpg

That tail logo is/was known far and wide among us airline types as the "meatball" logo. (Which led to that look being known as the "meatball livery"...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

474.gif

I know alot of people here in Detroit refer to this logo as "Bubbles"....

The thought is, he's such a whimpy. un-frightening lion he looks like a kitty chasing a bubble.

Much like the football team Bubbles represents. :D

29822.jpg

CMU's logo is often referred to as the "Flying C", though I've also heard it called "Running C", "Action C", "Flaming C" and "Farting C". :blink:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I agree with all of the following:

Robo-Pigeon

Flaming Horse

Burger King

Fail

Toonces

And, although I hate it, I'm kinda surprised the Bengals' lame-o 'Striped B' logo doesn't have a nickname. I'd like to call it the 'GDB'. :P

Sigs are for sissies.

What about the Canucks "Skate on a Plate"

and the old Ottawa Senators "Sleeping Guard" (the logo in profile)

and who could forget the Rangers' "Lady Liberty"

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

Archived