Logos that have nicknames

BBTV

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In logo form, NC State's Mr. Wuf mascot is referred to as "Tuffy."

I just got back from the NC State-Winthrop basketball game (no comment :mad:) ... Tuffy was on the shirts of a few students in front of me. He and UNC's Rameses must have common relatives - they have the same mannerisms.

NCS_Body_2C_thumbnail.gifstruttingram.gif

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

For the uniform wing, I'm nominating "Silver Britches".

What the hell is "Toonces"?

toonces.jpgtigers%20logo.gif

...actually, now that they are side by side, the Tigers logo really doesn't look like Toonces. Oh well.

What the hell is "Silver Britches"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For the uniform wing, I'm nominating "Silver Britches".

What the hell is "Toonces"?

toonces.jpgtigers%20logo.gif

...actually, now that they are side by side, the Tigers logo really doesn't look like Toonces. Oh well.

It should be LSU, not Detroit.

Seriously? You mean this guy? I guess I see it now, since his paws are in a driving position. I never knew that it referred to LSU.

lsu-logo-lsu-game.gif

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The pants worn by the Jaw-juh Bulldawgs...it supposedly dates back to the 50s or so. Back when the coloreds couldn't play there.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Radio Shack and Banana Phone nicknames are priceless. I'm adding those to my personal lexicon.

And as far as the Detroit Tiger up there goes, I have a nickname that I use for it, as do my roommates. The roomies were working on uniform shirts for their intramural softball team last year, The Tigers. I of course tried to get them to use a slick, unique logo, but the voting came down to that one (which won out) and another that I only slightly preferred. Throughout the voting process I urged everyone not to go with the "Up-the-Butt Tiger," and although my wisdom didn't win out, the nickname stuck.

I know, far too localized (and maybe too graphic) for our list, but still...a logo nickname is a logo nickname.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

NewMexicoStateAggies.png

When New Mexico State took the guns away from Pistol Pete people gave this logo the nickname of Lasso Larry. NMSU wasn't too happy with the name change since it was mocking the change. He eventually got a makeover with guns included.

NMSU13.jpg

They even died Pete's hair and mustache black so we know the difference between he and Larry. Verrrrry nice! :lol:

6uXNWAo.png

NewMexicoStateAggies.png

When New Mexico State took the guns away from Pistol Pete people gave this logo the nickname of Lasso Larry. NMSU wasn't too happy with the name change since it was mocking the change. He eventually got a makeover with guns included.

NMSU13.jpg

They even died Pete's hair and mustache black so we know the difference between he and Larry. Verrrrry nice! :lol:

Is it me or does he look like a member of the Village People?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Someone nominated the Winged Wheel. Any hockey fan should know what this logo is. Seconded.

Isn't the current Leafs logo known as the Ballard Leaf because Harold Ballard changed the classic logo to what they have now?

Funny story about the Mooterus. A local radio station was doing a phone in poll on some of the worst logos in sports. I called in:

Me: "Yeah, I'd like to nominate the Mooterus."

Radio: "What's the Mooterus?"

Me: "Dallas' third logo. It looks like a uterus."

Radio: "What the hell? Crazy med students!"

Me: "Actually, I'm in marketing."

Radio: "WTF? Thanks for calling!"

Regarding uniform elements, I've only heard Barberpole be associated with the Ottawa Senators and Ottawa 67s, so it's more than just a generic nicknamed uniform element. I also once read that the front vertical stripes on the Rbk Edge jerseys were known as Bettman Stripes.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Someone nominated the Winged Wheel. Any hockey fan should know what this logo is. Seconded.

Isn't the current Leafs logo known as the Ballard Leaf because Harold Ballard changed the classic logo to what they have now?

Funny story about the Mooterus. A local radio station was doing a phone in poll on some of the worst logos in sports. I called in:

Me: "Yeah, I'd like to nominate the Mooterus."

Radio: "What's the Mooterus?"

Me: "Dallas' third logo. It looks like a uterus."

Radio: "What the hell? Crazy med students!"

Me: "Actually, I'm in marketing."

Radio: "WTF? Thanks for calling!"

Regarding uniform elements, I've only heard Barberpole be associated with the Ottawa Senators and Ottawa 67s, so it's more than just a generic nicknamed uniform element. I also once read that the front vertical stripes on the Rbk Edge jerseys were known as Bettman Stripes.

I believe barberpole has also been associated with the Blackhawks, but I could be mistaken.

You are correct about the Bettman stripes (I kind of liked that one, I'm a little sad it seems to have died out). I would also nominate the Ree-box - also a "feature" of many of the Edge jerseys.

Are the stripes on the underarms of the Lightning jersey officially referred to as "Victory Stripes"?

I'm not to sure, but it would make sence

The first owners put them there, so the only time fans see them is when a Lightning player scores, or lifts the Stanley Cup (lifts up arms)

NewMexicoStateAggies.png

NMSU13.jpg

Is it me or does he look like a member of the Village People?

It's you. It's absolutely, totally and unequivocally you.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived