Miss State Football Concept

Cola

With the talk of Miss State getting new uniforms and marks in 2009, I decided to play around a bit. First off, the logo is not mine but was one of my favorite in the set that was submitted to MSU- I just vectored it to the best of my ability. Since one of those will be the mark that MSU chooses (I guess?), I decided to work it in here. It looks solid to me even though I would still like to see the interlocking MSU come back. I wanted to add STATE to the front to make them more unique in the SEC and give them an identity...seems schools out West usually take that over and this can be MSU's claim in the East. I stayed traditional and sharp...but a bit more than they use now, which is quite bland if you ask me.

C&C appreciated.

MissState_concept2.jpg

You forgot stripes on the back. Other than that, it looks good.

oops...blame that on my girlfriend. she was rushing me to leave cause I'm currently on the road now to tennessee- but I wanted to get it posted first.

ill get that fixed when I return along with the pant stripes...which I was hesitant to add at first

Imma be honest wit you...I ain't really feeling the gray with Mississippi State. To my knowledge/recollection, they ain't never really had it as a secondary. When I think of the Bulldogs, I think of straight basic maroon and white.

That said...if that is what that new logo will look like, then you have one hell of a memory. I like how that looks. The concept itself ain't bad based on its own merits...but the Bank Gothic got to go.

Question borne of curiosity...what made you hesitant to add pants stripes?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like this, Cola, but I just don't feel it's "finished" yet. I'm going to piggyback off my homey brandon_odis, can't go with the grey, not just because it's not "them," but also because it's so Ole Miss. The grey convolutes the cleanliness (I need a better word) of the maroon and white. Plus, I think the Bulldogs need the white helmet to keep them from jocking too much of 'Bama's and Arkansas' style.

Anyway, I totally dig the sleeve stripes, but without any stripes on the helmet or pants, they almost look out of place.

Also, you need a stronger font for the nameplate. Bank Gothic is too light and too wide. I always test my concepts using the last name McGillicuddy, just to be sure I give enough spacing.

All in all, it's a good start, but needs a few tweaks to really finish it off well (not that it has anything to do with your concept, I hope they go with one of the dog head logo concepts, too).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I like this, Cola, but I just don't feel it's "finished" yet. I'm going to piggyback off my homey brandon_odis, can't go with the grey, not just because it's not "them," but also because it's so Ole Miss. The grey convolutes the cleanliness (I need a better word) of the maroon and white. Plus, I think the Bulldogs need the white helmet to keep them from jocking too much of 'Bama's and Arkansas' style.

Anyway, I totally dig the sleeve stripes, but without any stripes on the helmet or pants, they almost look out of place.

Also, you need a stronger font for the nameplate. Bank Gothic is too light and too wide. I always test my concepts using the last name McGillicuddy, just to be sure I give enough spacing.

All in all, it's a good start, but needs a few tweaks to really finish it off well (not that it has anything to do with your concept, I hope they go with one of the dog head logo concepts, too).

Wait--hold up...you be doing concepts???

Maybe I ain't been in the community long enough..but I can't recall having seen a single concept out of you since I been here, folk. Whatchu been holding out for, mayn?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

thanks for the comments so far guys. I'm way up in the app mountains posting from my treo so ill try to keep this short.

first I have to agree that the concept appears very unfinished...and in all honesty, I shouldn't have posted it until I felt it was complete...but I rushed it and wanted to get it up before I left for initial opinions. forgetting to put the shoulder stripes on the backs was a sure sign of that.

things I'm thinking of adding are pant striping and helmet striping. this doesn't seem popular, but I like and want to keep the grey. to me, it is light enough to differentiate from ole miss...and I want to implement it throughout both sets where as ole miss only throws it on pants.

I just think miss state needs more with color...they always appear to bland for me and just don't have that 'pop' to catch your attention when running out on the field.

as for the bank gothic...that wasn't intentional as well. I know it appears bush league but I didn't have the original font on my home pc (i did this first at work! oops). the original font does look similar to bank gothic but with serifs.

updates will be coming once I return.

Imma be honest wit you...I ain't really feeling the gray with Mississippi State. To my knowledge/recollection, they ain't never really had it as a secondary. When I think of the Bulldogs, I think of straight basic maroon and white.

That said...if that is what that new logo will look like, then you have one hell of a memory. I like how that looks. The concept itself ain't bad based on its own merits...but the Bank Gothic got to go.

Question borne of curiosity...what made you hesitant to add pants stripes?

They actually did use grey as a secondary from 86-88. The helmet had two grey stripes offest from a center white stripe and the white interlocked MSU logo also had a grey offset outline. And they used grey pants as well. So there is a precedent for the grey.

As for this concept, I think it works pretty well, other than the number font, it's very USFL-ish. A more tradtional varsity block font would look better. The grey outline on the numbers would look better as a direct outline and not offset, in my opinion.

But nice look overall.

I like what you've done here, Cola. I agree that the gray pants resemble the ole miss set too much. I do think the gray is used well for outlines and stripes. The maroon helmet is a much better look for MSU in my opinion, but I prefer some of the other logos that were presented in the sneak preview.

All in all, you've made some nice upgrades.

SignatureCCSL.png

Archived