Vikings Throwbacks

Bmac

Cardinals just need to change the facemask to black or red and they'd be fine.

Vikings are close - a more custom number and NOB font is necessary, as is the useage of purple pants on the road.

Falcons just need to wear the originally-intended white sock with thick black stripe with their black pants instead of the solid black. Then they'd be fine.

I just wish the Falcons would incorporate some Silver into their uniforms...it's only present in the logos these days.

And, am I the only one who prefers Atlanta in their Black jerseys?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vikings are close - a more custom number and NOB font is necessary, as is the useage of purple pants on the road.

Falcons just need to wear the originally-intended white sock with thick black stripe with their black pants instead of the solid black. Then they'd be fine.

I just wish the Falcons would incorporate some Silver into their uniforms...it's only present in the logos these days.

I prefer them in their black jerseys, but ONLY under natural light. Black + dome = drab. I do like the red, and I think it looks better than the black when watching them play at home.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No, assuming they are wearing their white pants.

In my opinion, the best that team ever looked was during the Glanville era, with the black helmets and black logo, black jersey with white numbers outlined in red and silver/gray pants.

nfl_g_sanders_260.jpg

And, yes, I can't believe I'm equating Jerry Glanville with good fashion sense.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

. At least we will be able to see a beautiful uniform match up, which will hopefully distract us from the pitiful slap-fight taking place on the field.

Wow. That might be the gayest thing ever said. If you're tuning in to admire the clothing, maybe you'd be better served watching Bravo or Logo this weekend. :rolleyes:

Hey, if you're going to call someone gay for appreciating uniforms, at least be consistent:

(1) Don't make the following type of post, which you did: "I love the throwbacks"

(2) Don't waste your time in a uniform appreciation forum at all. If you really are just here because you "enjoy seeing people's graphic talents on display", you are perfectly free to head on over to the concepts forum and stay there.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

hmmm... I don't know who to agree with on this one, fsuviking or the rest of you. On one hand, yes this will be a great uniform matchup. It will be easy on the eyes. On the other hand, yeah it'll look nice, but the effect will wear off during the pregame show when they show players warming up. Can't say i'll sit there the whole game gawking at the "beautiful uniform matchup". I don't watch a game for good uniforms (although it's a plus), i watch a game for the game.

I never said I would sit the whole game "gawking at the uniforms", and I didn't say that I watch to see the uniforms, not the game. In fact, due to the current NFL, most of the hundreds of games I have "suffered though" over the last 5 years have featured horrible uniforms. I guess I watch the games to see football, afterall.

I totally agree, and wasn't talking about you exactly when i made the post

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

Wow. That might be the gayest thing ever said. If you're tuning in to admire the clothing, maybe you'd be better served watching Bravo or Logo this weekend. :rolleyes:

So, are you in junior high, where everything is gay, or do you feel the need to show how gay everything is to prove to yourself that you are a "true man"? Take a look in the mirror, Junior. :rolleyes:

Ahh, come on. Possibly the only thing lamer than calling something "gay" is responding to that by doing an ad hominem reversal.

Thanks. Sorry I was "lame", dawg. And I wasn't insulting him, per se. I was friends with two different guys in high school who were over the top with gay this, gay that, who always made fun of gay kids, and always went out of their way to do "masculine" things to show how manly they were. Well, college came, and a little while later they discovered or just finally admitted they were gay.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

. At least we will be able to see a beautiful uniform match up, which will hopefully distract us from the pitiful slap-fight taking place on the field.

Umm, one of the main purposes of this forum as I understand it, is to give our opinions, positive or negative, on uniform styles, trends, etc. Why call someone "gay" simply for giving his opinion about a uniform(s), on a forum made specifically to discuss these topics?

metslogo_215.gif

Umm, one of the main purposes of this forum as I understand it, is to give our opinions, positive or negative, on uniform styles, trends, etc. Why call someone "gay" simply for giving his opinion about a uniform(s), on a forum made specifically to discuss these topics?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Back to the point of the post ... I think the reason the purples look different is the lights in the Metrodome. Outdoors, with old film technology (i.e. Metropolitan Stadium shots), the purple looks more purple.

OK...people seem to be missing what I keep saying. The Purple HAS changed at least three times since 1979.

Intitially, the Vikings (like all NFL teams) used a custom color to represent their Purple. I have - as best as I can - matched the official Style Guide sheets from that era to a current Pantone color. Here is the color they used from 1961 through 1979:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_1979_SOL_SRG.jpg

When all of the NFL teams began matching their colors to Pantone colors around 1980, this is the color that they used:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_1996_SOL_SRG.jpg

In 1997, they changed their Purple to this shade:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_2001_SOL_SRG.jpg

And in 2002, they changed to this color (and still use today):

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_9999_SOL_SRG.jpg

In my next post, I'll show the various fabric colors that have been used since 1997.

OK...the NFL has been designating fabric/textile for their colors since 1997. Here are the various fabric colors the Vikings have used since then:

From 1997 through 2001 it was this color:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_2001_TEX_SRG.jpg

From 2002 through 2006 it was this color:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_2006_TEX_SRG.jpg

And from 2007 through the present, the Vikings have been using a custom Reebok fabric for their Purple - the same one the L.A. Lakers use:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_9999_TEX_SRG.jpg

The RGB values for this last swatch are estimates; I do not have accurate sRGB (or Adobe RGB) values for any of Reebok's fabric colors.

Not trying to stir up any trouble here but why are people so offended by the word gay? If you are gay and someone calls you gay ,are they not properly describing you?If you are not gay then simply give them a STFU and move on. When you sit there and whine against the use of the word gay it puzzles me. You are what you are . Either you are or you are not. A little too sensitive.

Not trying to stir up any trouble here but why are people so offended by the word gay? If you are gay and someone calls you gay ,are they not properly describing you?If you are not gay then simply give them a STFU and move on. When you sit there and whine against the use of the word gay it puzzles me. You are what you are . Either you are or you are not. A little too sensitive.

It's the way the word is used that makes it offensive. I can also say Jesus Christ, and it can be taken different ways, depending on the context of the conversation.

There's a big difference between "being offended" by being called gay and calling someone out for being the sort of ignorant twit who tries to use "gay" as an insult.

msg-117798227822.jpg

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_02.jpg

Here's the full version of that ad, with the jerseys they will be wearing.

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_01.jpg

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_02.jpg

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_03.jpg

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_04.jpg

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_05.jpg

VikingsThrBckJrsy08sm_06.jpg

hmm.....stupid broken-up advertisements. well, you get the idea.

Is there a specific time period these were taken from? Imma guess the '70s...and if that's the case, then those numbers--or, at the very least, the 5--is inaccurate. I'm about 99% positive that top serif was not present on the 70s numbers...but, then again, these also look like replithentic jerseys, in which case the numbers would be wrong for several teams' throwbacks (Seahawks and pre-2002 Bills jump out like a sore thumb...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

There's a big difference between "being offended" by being called gay and calling someone out for being the sort of ignorant twit who tries to use "gay" as an insult.

That's gay.

:P

(Joking, only joking... Calm down, numbnuts...)

Anyways, the Vikings throwbacks look like a football uniform should look like, they should go back to these and we should forget the monstrosities they wear now forever.

Oh, and "Gray Facemasks Forever"!!!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This is some of the best news I've heard recently. The new Vikings uniforms are a mess. The old unis that they wore when Carter, Culpepper, Moss and the Purple People Eaters are some of the most beautiful uniforms in NFL history. Purple and gold is such a great combination that you don't need curves, swirls and piping everywhere to jazz it up.

daunte-culpepper.jpg

vs.

APETERSON8X10CARRY.JPG

No debate. Classics win.

Edited to remove false information.

stoneraizersig.jpg

This is some of the best news I've heard recently. The new Vikings uniforms are a mess. The old unis that they wore when Tarkenton, Carter, Culpepper, Moss and the Purple People Eaters are some of the most beautiful uniforms in NFL history. Purple and gold is such a great combination that you don't need curves, swirls and piping everywhere to jazz it up.

daunte-culpepper.jpg

No debate. Classics win.

Tarkenton didn't wear those unis.

This is some of the best news I've heard recently. The new Vikings uniforms are a mess. The old unis that they wore when Tarkenton, Carter, Culpepper, Moss and the Purple People Eaters are some of the most beautiful uniforms in NFL history. Purple and gold is such a great combination that you don't need curves, swirls and piping everywhere to jazz it up.

daunte-culpepper.jpg

vs.

APETERSON8X10CARRY.JPG

No debate. Classics win.

Without doubt the better uniform..........'Pep looks downright skinny compared to what I saw today.

jongarlanduj6.jpg

Archived