St. Louis Athletica

JaMike81

Stlouis_wps.jpg

interesting, this logo is very similar to the St. Louis Soccer United one.

Does the STL MLS bid have good odds of being chosen?

I am not really following MLS, but just saw a piece in the news today about the Montreal bid being rejected.

Forget Ottawa and Vancouver, with the Toronto FC Success and the Impact history, a team in Montreal would bring such needed focus to MLS in Canada...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

There's a thread in the Sports In General board with MLS updates, Frenchie.

Hard to say if they've got good odds or not. They've got a strong bid, but they're up against other strong bids, and there's a lot of things the public just doesn't know (for instance, it's been reported by STL media that there are some anonymous backers for the STL bid that make financing no problem, but as long as they're anonymous, it's hard to judge their impact).

That said, the St. Louis Soccer United logo has always been claimed to be just a logo representing the ownership group, not the potential team logo. Though, I'd imagine it'd be similar anyways.

The logo is great, but can someone comfort me by telling me Athletica is not ridiculously odd?

Sorry, can't help you with that.

As for the logo, it is very well done. However, it still seems odd to me to turn the statue of St. Louis into a female figure.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The logo is great, but can someone comfort me by telling me Athletica is not ridiculously odd?

Sorry, can't help you with that.

As for the logo, it is very well done. However, it still seems odd to me to turn the statue of St. Louis into a female figure.

Just think of that as St. Joan of Arc (very good choice, as she's often depicted like that, is also a saint of French heritage, and "Arc" is a clever play on the STL's most unique feature)

bYhYmxh.png

Clean logo, unique twist on the statue, good colors.

And I'm not bothered by the name. It's 2 logical leaps from the Atletico basis--when Americanizing it, the naming convention could logically become Athletico (or Athletic, for that matter, which already exists in English assoc)...and following conventions of Romance Languages--Latin and derivatives like Spanish--a word ending in O is generally masculine, and one ending in A is feminine.

It's a stretch, to be sure, but not too far. You're deriving a Euro soccer term, then feminizing it. I say it works. I also say I'm probably alone, but whatev.

Btw, credit possibly given to someone on this board, who as I recall was the first to come up with the term "Athletico."

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

What is this for? Please tell me it's not for St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

It's for East St. Louis. Is there any other?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What is this for? Please tell me it's not for St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

Why?

Don't mind him. He's on his anti-Euro name trip.

Oh, gotcha.

I actually don't much care for Euro-style names either. I was thinking his problem was with the logo somehow.

As long as fans come up with some sort of nickname to call the team, then I can get over the Euro-name thing.

Clean logo, unique twist on the statue, good colors.

And I'm not bothered by the name. ...

It's a stretch, to be sure, but not too far. You're deriving a Euro soccer term, then feminizing it. I say it works. I also say I'm probably alone, but whatev.

You're not alone. I agree with liking the logo -- it's solid in all respects, but outstanding in none, a good B or B-plus work -- and not minding the name. If you accept the idea of faux international-style soccer team names like Real or United or whatever, then "Athletica" for a women's team not only is not a stretch, but it's an obvious name that would be on any serious short list.

On the other hand, I'm very glad that my hometown team will be the Washington Freedom, not DC Unita.

20082614447.png

I AM an Athletica...nope it doesn't work. :P

I don't get the hate for the name. At least it sounds classy, you know...not like Columbus Crew and New York Red Bulls. However, when it comes down to it, the name is secondary to the logo, right? I like it, but (and it's a big ol' but, oh yeah) it's waaaaay too busy. Too much going on. I understand the significance of the Fleur-de-Lis, but if you can't fit it within the crest, then sorry, scrap it. The branches, the extraneous blue arrow looking shapes near the banner...hell the banner itself. I don't like the font choices either...and why are there 3?

But I really do like it...lol

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I see Copperplate. To me, that's an automatic fail.

Such a minor use of it can be let go...plus there is no guarantee that its copperplate. It could be a cousin of it...it looks like the pointy serifs of Copperplate could actually be more gradual...

I roll my eyes as much as the next guy when it comes to Copperplate, but there are much worse fonts out there. I've never really used it professionally, but its mostly been because the fact that you see it so much, not because its ugly. The scavenger hunts for it to me are just a bunch of people jumping on a cause. Comic Sans and Papyrus are much worse offenders than Copperplate or Trajan Pro ever will be.

Anyway...Did they need to add a third font? No, but the logo is pretty strong, even stronger when you consider its a Women's Professional Soccer team, one of the last leagues I'd think would have strong logos...

Sounds like the name of a Battlestar.

Eh...the crest is nice.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived