Mitchell and Ness checklist

Hardcore Legend

With the M&N Thanksgiving sale in the same week as the MLB.com sale, I found myself on the verge of bankrupting my children's future so their father could pretend he was a baseball player by getting all dressed up.

Anyways, for years I kept watching that Mitchell and Ness St. Louis Cardinals Authentic 1964 Bob Gibson Road Jersey they had listed on MLB.com. It hasn't been on M&N's site in forever. Now, with the jersey sold out, it isn't even on MLB.com anymore. All that exists is the photo.

pMLB2-3380050dt.jpg

Anyways, it got me thinking: What other jerseys has Mitchell and Ness made that are no longer on their site or on the respective leagues online stores?

I swear online once I saw in someone's collection a 1967 Curt Flood jersey but have NEVER seen it offered through the store.

Does anyone know of some massive catalog or checklist of the jerseys they have offered in the past?

elbirdosjerseys-1-1.jpg

Does anyone know of some massive catalog or checklist of the jerseys they have offered in the past?

That could be a large list. For the Cubs alone, I are at least 10 I can think of (most of them flannels, which, unfortunatly, they seem to be making fewer and fewer of) that are no longer on their site (and that's just in the past 6-8 years). Also, there were a couple of years that the Cubs did ballpark give-aways (scratch-off tickets, 1-in-100 wins) where they had jerseys that never made it to the website. So, I can imagine that a "master" list like that for a company that has been doing this (making historical jerseys) or 25 years would be quite long...

Moose

There have been some jerseys that I have never seen Mitchell & Ness make, such as the Pittsburgh Steelers' mid-60s uniforms with the gold diamonds on the sleeves or the big diamond neck yoke. Makes it easy to spot a fake (which I have seen).

Part of this is also because Reebok and Adidas have started taking the lead on NBA, NHL, and NFL gear.

Back in the olden days of the internets, I bet someone would have had a great page devoted to M&N collecting with a relatively substantial checklist.

Now that the internet is all grown up, if there was such a page it's been long neglected, and most likely erased from anglefire's data base due to inactivity.

Now if you search for "Mitchell and Ness", all you get are retail sites, ebay auctions and M&N's homepage because the internet is now just one big, stinkin' online catalog.

I sure would like to know about that list of Cubs jerseys though! I got one off of ebay that was a scrath off prize winner, complete with the winning card.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I have a hard copy of a 2001 Mitchell & Ness catalog. The 1964 Gibson shirts are listed as being in stock and available in White or Grey and were $300 each. For the Cubbies they showed the 1969 home and away jerseys for Santo, Banks and Williams for only $225 each. The catalog also has NBA jerseys and NFL football jerseys and the appropriate jackets from each sport. If anyone has any questions on the items listed PM me through this board and I'll give you what info I have.

How long do jerseys normally remain available before they're discontinued? I've got my eye on one but can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet, but I don't want to wait too long.

I couldn't tell you. Some of the more popular ones seem to have a longer shelf life than others.

I will recomend cheking-out eBay seller lakeshow2. This seems to be the official M&N "outlet store." I bought a Cubs '84 Sutcliffe jersey there for $49 once, and also got a Cubs wool jacket for $79... The stock is constantly changing, so it's worth a check weekly, or at least twice a month or so, especially if you're looking for something specific.

Moose

Thanks for the tip, no97. The one I'm looking at is the 1975 Johnny Bench.

I have another question. This is the jersey as depicted on the M and N site...

BSRE75H05_W.jpg

...and this is one being sold on ebay...

7334_1.JPG7816_1.JPG

Is it safe to assume the one on ebay is not authentic M and N? Or did they make some that were less authentic than others? The front looks authentic enough, but the name letters are too thick and the number too big on the ebay one.

If you want as authentic as you can get 1975 Johnny Bench home jersey, call this place:

KOCH SPORTING GOODS

131 WEST FOURTH ST.

CINCINNATI, OHIO 45202

PH 513-621-2352

FAX 513-621-5977

Koch's website e-mail address

Koch's website

They did all of the lettering on the Reds jerseys from the mid-1960's till Rawlings started doing the lettering in-house.

They also did, and still do all of the visiting teams emergency lettering while in Cincinnati.

They also did the lettering for the Bengals since their inception up until the Champion jerseys were worn. If you want, you can get an Ocho Cinco jersey. :P

I know for a fact that you can get a Bench jersey (or anybody else's for that matter) there as I saw one hanging up the last time I was in there. And like I said, it will be as authentic as you can get. They also do flannel jerseys.

I think I paid $250 for my 1976 home Pete Rose jersey with the N.L. Centennial patch sewn on. And they have free shipping on orders over $200.00. I have spent thousands of dollars with them in the last 30 years.

Ask for Chris or Greg when calling. Can't hurt to make a phone call.

Good luck.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but in the picture on their website (in the box) they have a Bench jersey hanging up.

73i1s1.jpg

Koch's is one of those stores that if they can't get it or make it, you don't need it. LOL

In the late 1990's, long after the USFL had folded, they made me a Tampa Bay Bandits jersey from a black and white 3x4 newspaper clipping that you couldn't tell the difference from a real one.

BSRE75H05_W.jpg

7334_1.JPG7816_1.JPG

Is it safe to assume the one on ebay is not authentic M and N? Or did they make some that were less authentic than others? The front looks authentic enough, but the name letters are too thick and the number too big on the ebay one.

As far as those M&N jerseys, the name was done in 4" lettering. That looks like a 3.5" or something.

001305000.jpg

I won't vouch for the authenticity of any M&N on eBay other than lakeshow2. I'd say that looks fake, but that looks fake to me.

Moose

I won't vouch for the authenticity of any M&N on eBay other than lakeshow2. I'd say that looks fake, but that looks fake to me.

Moose

The letters for the name on the back look not only too thick, but seem like the knockoff makers font of choice. My first reaction was it's a fake, but it's sure hard to make a definitive opinion based on those photos alone.

Are there other clues, like 20 other M&N's for sale from the same seller or your choice of sizes? Seller happen to be located in Canada or Asia?

Many of the knockoff sellers seem to be located in the Toronto area, which has a large Chinese population and implies some connections to where the fake jerseys are made.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

How long do jerseys normally remain available before they're discontinued? I've got my eye on one but can't bring myself to pull the trigger just yet, but I don't want to wait too long.

I couldn't tell you. Some of the more popular ones seem to have a longer shelf life than others.

I will recomend cheking-out eBay seller lakeshow2. This seems to be the official M&N "outlet store." I bought a Cubs '84 Sutcliffe jersey there for $49 once, and also got a Cubs wool jacket for $79... The stock is constantly changing, so it's worth a check weekly, or at least twice a month or so, especially if you're looking for something specific.

Moose

I've bought from lakeshow2 a couple of times. His baseball stock has been lacking the last year or so but you are correct about the overall stock always in rotation.

The rub is that a lot of these jerseys are factory seconds. Not bad enough that a lot of people would notice but enough that M&N won't sale it retail.

elbirdosjerseys-1-1.jpg

Based on Swampee's picture from the 1972 World Series, even the one from the M and N site is incorrect. I do believe that the Reds squeezed the letters together a bit as the years passed however. Whether or not that squeezing happened by 1975, when the jersey is supposed to be from, I don't know.

As for the seller, here are his current listings. Located in Illinois.

Moose

I've bought from lakeshow2 a couple of times. His baseball stock has been lacking the last year or so but you are correct about the overall stock always in rotation.

The rub is that a lot of these jerseys are factory seconds. Not bad enough that a lot of people would notice but enough that M&N won't sale it retail.

That, or they are discontinued items. That was the case with my two purchases. There wasn't anything wrong with them at all. If there is, the good news, is that he will usually tell you what it is (I remember a listing recently that had a jersey with the wrong sleves (a size too small), and it looked goofy), so at least you get what you pay for...

Moose

Archived