What's Your Favorite/Least Favorite NFL Helmet?

TC

Hey, why do the Redskins still have that yellow facemask?

The yellow facemask isn't the problem. The Redskins problem is that they're one of the few who use a metallic finish that doesn't look as good as the flat finish. The flat finish helmets worked better in my opinion, also it seems like the three stripes are getting closer and closer together.

This

017041998.jpg

is better than this

t1_campbell_all.jpg

I'd actually like to see the Vikings put a yellow facemask on their helmets. It would infuse a little more yellow into the set.

I don't think the stripes are necessarily closer together; I think that the stripes were applied in a sloppy manner on William's helmet from the 1980s. I imagine the 3 stripes were separate pieces of tape back then; you can see how the white stripes aren't evenly spaced away from the yellow stripe on the center ridge of William's Riddell helmet. The Oilers were also particularly bad about stripe spacing back in the 1980s as well. I suspect that the Redskins are now using a single clear decal that contains all 3 helmet stripes so they are evenly spaced on all helmet designs, even those that don't have the Riddell center ridge. I remember seeing a Dolphins authentic Riddell helmet back shortly after they went to their current design and I noticed that the helmet stripes were really a single decal.

Regarding the helmet finish, to me it depends on the lighting; under natural light on a sunny day the current metallic helmets look great; the older helmets that were molded in burgandy plastic look better under artifical light on cloudy days, night games, and indoor games. Again, just my opinion.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I've wanted the Redskins to do is to eliminate the white and gold circles on the logo, and the redundant second set of feathers, and simply enlarge the native American profile, possibly with a narrow white outline to set it apart from the helmet color. Better still go to the arrowhead throwback helmet they used.

Bill813.png

The best:

1. Vikings. OK, I'm a homer. And I am a full-blooded Norwegian who loves the horned look (yes, I know, the real Vikings didn't wear horned helmets, but it's so engrained in our minds that it's what we think a Viking should look like). I just love that horned look.

2. Rams. It's more than me liking horns. It's appreciating a classic look, despite the changes in colors.

3. Bengals. I loved those tiger stripes from the first time I saw this helmet.

The worst:

1. Jets. The logo is WAY too busy.

2. Ravens. All they would have to do is take the B off the side of the bird's head and this would be a great helmet. But that B just makes the helmet look stupid.

3. Browns. Yes, it's a classic and shouldn't be changed. But imagine a new team comes along with a colorish name (let's say, for example, the Los Angeles Blue Tide) and that team doesn't have a logo on its helmet. Imagine the outcry from us.

The best:

1. Vikings. OK, I'm a homer. And I am a full-blooded Norwegian who loves the horned look (yes, I know, the real Vikings didn't wear horned helmets, but it's so engrained in our minds that it's what we think a Viking should look like). I just love that horned look.

2. Rams. It's more than me liking horns. It's appreciating a classic look, despite the changes in colors.

The worst:

2. Ravens. All they would have to do is take the B off the side of the bird's head and this would be a great helmet. But that B just makes the helmet look stupid.

3. Browns. Yes, it's a classic and shouldn't be changed. But imagine a new team comes along with a colorish name (let's say, for example, the Los Angeles Blue Tide) and that team doesn't have a logo on its helmet. Imagine the outcry from us.

That's something I've never understood. Many of the "modernizers" and "updaters" around here scoff at anyone who dares utter the "T" word. God forbid you don't like the latest clown suit. But no one seems to mind that helmet logos are basically tradition too. There's no rule that says every helmet has to have a logo. (Is there?) I think it would be great if a new team, or even a current one decided to go without a logo on their helmet. All that should matter is whether or not the helmet looks good. If it looks better without a logo (like The Browns) so be it.

BB52Big.jpg

Cincy. Lions would be second if they got rid of all the black.

I agree 100% the lions need to get rid of the black...NOW and make these they're new uni's w/o the black facemask:

Photo3_081127.jpg

If you replace the silver with white, that's what our middle school team looks like.

Maybe the Lions are a middle school team?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

The best:

The worst:

That's something I've never understood. Many of the "modernizers" and "updaters" around here scoff at anyone who dares utter the "T" word. God forbid you don't like the latest clown suit. But no one seems to mind that helmet logos are basically tradition too. There's no rule that says every helmet has to have a logo. (Is there?) I think it would be great if a new team, or even a current one decided to go without a logo on their helmet. All that should matter is whether or not the helmet looks good. If it looks better without a logo (like The Browns) so be it.

The NFL would NEVER allow a new team to go with a naked helmet... I don't know if that's an official rule, but I'm absolutely positive I'm right. The Browns have their helmet "grandfathered" in, but you can forget it happening again.

The NFL would NEVER allow a new team to go with a naked helmet... I don't know if that's an official rule, but I'm absolutely positive I'm right. The Browns have their helmet "grandfathered" in, but you can forget it happening again.

Probably not an official rule, no, but there's no real effective way to market a team without a recognizable helmet logo to lead the way. No/bad marketing = less money = baaaad.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

I would have liked to see how the proposed helmet design changes for say Miami would have affected uniforms. I was told that the Eagles back in the 90's were looking at a rebrand and going to do something Patriotic, only the colors were maroon, midnight green, silver, forest green and black. Its a shame that the old Ohio Glory logo, one of the best, was never used for the Patriots or the Eagles.

Favorite 3

Seahawks

Colts

Bucs

Least favorite

Bears (I'm a Chicagoan and that C needs to go....give me that growling bear...anything but the "Wishbone C"

Vikings..... No Viking ever wore horns on their helmet...and yes, that DOES matter to me

Eagles...I liked the wings better during the Vermiel era

Vikings..... No Viking ever wore horns on their helmet...and yes, that DOES matter to me

I am a full-blooded Norwegian, proud of my Viking roots back in Norway. So are my relatives in Norway. We had the opportunity to meet a few, and they proudly say things like, "We are Vikings!!!"

The horns, though, are part of the Viking's image. It doesn't matter that Vikings didn't really wear horned helmets. What matters is that Vikings are presented in a positive way. The horned helmets adds to the fierce look of the Viking warriors, and it's something that I, a modern-day Viking, is proud of. And I'll bet most of the folks at the Sons of Norway would agree.

likes: (current designs) - by likes i mean i like them more than the run of the mill...

cardinals, vikings, lions, saints, steelers, browns (do like the white f/masks better, though), colts, dolphins

giants, titans, raiders...

dislikes: (current designs)

tampa bay, carolina, bengals, eagles, falcons

alltime favorites:

the red falcons helmet, bartkowski era.

the blue and gold rams helmet, not the disco gold they use today, the royal and gold.

eagles, jaworski era

patriots, tri corner hat logo w/ the number or the pat patriot logo

cardinals

begnals, wordmark logo

bills, red buffalo logo (and even the white helmet version of the current buffalo logo)

Tampa Bay sherbert logo

SD chargers - fouts era is great, the old powders are even better.

houston oilers white helmet.

Favorite 3

Seahawks

Colts

Bucs

Least favorite

Bears (I'm a Chicagoan and that C needs to go....give me that grolwing bear...anything but the "Wishbone C"

Has political correctness brought us to the point where we're worried about offending Vikings?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Favorite 3

Bears (I'm a Chicagoan and that C needs to go....give me that grolwing bear...anything but the "Wishbone C"

Has political correctness brought us to the point where we're worried about offending Vikings?

First, Ive already stated my deep love for the Vike's dome, but...

Can I say the only thing more annoying than "Political Correctness" is the constant whining about "Political Correctness"?

Favorites:

I like to keep it fairly simple so most of my faves include the Colts, Browns and Bears although I like the Chargers a LOT and don't care much for the Rams.

Least Favorite:

Jaguars by far. I've always hated their helmets and I hate the unused prototype even more. I don't know why but I also really don't care for the Titans or Ravens and that might have to do with the trailing point but then why don't I hate the Vikings or Patriots?

The what now?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Favorites:

I like to keep it fairly simple so most of my faves include the Colts, Browns and Bears although I like the Chargers a LOT and don't care much for the Rams.

Least Favorite:

Jaguars by far. I've always hated their helmets and I hate the unused prototype even more. I don't know why but I also really don't care for the Titans or Ravens and that might have to do with the trailing point but then why don't I hate the Vikings or Patriots?

The what now?

If you've been following the NFL and/or uniforms for any amount of time over, say, two months, then you know about the original jaguars helmets and uniforms that were nixed by the Jaguar automotive corperation because they claimed the Jaguars logo resembled their jaguar too closely. Rather than go through a whole trademark battle, the team simply changed the logo and uniforms.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived