30th Anniversary of the Miracle on Ice

raysox

Don't know which forum this would go in, but...

So the other day I was watching Miracle, and had a thought. At the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, it will be the 30th Anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. I say this because I had another thought.

"The starting goalie of the US team should paint his mask like Jim Craig's"

craig201.jpg

a plain white mask with 2 clover leafs

Just an idea, that would make sence, and be a good tribute

good idea, or bad idea?

I'm going to say something that I know won't be popular, but The Miracle on Ice is the worst thing that has ever happened to the US hockey program. Instead of building a program, and building into a contender, it's the age old fall back of US hockey, The Miracle on Ice. It's like the Dodgers and Kirk Gibson, like the Raiders and their championships. Stop living in the past, forget it and move on! You have a moment and you can't let it go. It's like the guy who was the star quarterback in high school and you go back to the reunion and he's still wearing his beatup letterman's jacket, holding a football, and he's got some crappy job, while everyone has moved on and improved themselves. He thinks he's still great, but he can barely hold a job, and internally everyone at the reunion just laughs at him because he's living in the past. I watched the Miracle on Ice, but please people, let it go! That was 30 years ago and we still haven't done anything in hockey! Put pressure on those who are in charge to put a quality team on the ice and forget your one shining moment. The more people in the country bring it up, the more hockey fans around the world laugh at us. What it shows is that in 30 years we've done nothing. Oh sure we did win the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. So what? What have we done since? Nothing! US hockey is a joke, and stop looking in the rearview mirror of life, because you'll never know where you're going!

I'm going to say something that I know won't be popular, but The Miracle on Ice is the worst thing that has ever happened to the US hockey program. Instead of building a program, and building into a contender, it's the age old fall back of US hockey, The Miracle on Ice. It's like the Dodgers and Kirk Gibson, like the Raiders and their championships. Stop living in the past, forget it and move on! You have a moment and you can't let it go. It's like the guy who was the star quarterback in high school and you go back to the reunion and he's still wearing his beatup letterman's jacket, holding a football, and he's got some crappy job, while everyone has moved on and improved themselves. He thinks he's still great, but he can barely hold a job, and internally everyone at the reunion just laughs at him because he's living in the past. I watched the Miracle on Ice, but please people, let it go! That was 30 years ago and we still haven't done anything in hockey! Put pressure on those who are in charge to put a quality team on the ice and forget your one shining moment. The more people in the country bring it up, the more hockey fans around the world laugh at us. What it shows is that in 30 years we've done nothing. Oh sure we did win the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. So what? What have we done since? Nothing! US hockey is a joke, and stop looking in the rearview mirror of life, because you'll never know where you're going!

Nothing in hockey? How about a silver medal in Salt Lake in 2002? Or, how about two medals in the last five years (after three in the previous 30 years) of the World Juniors (plus a couple fourths)? Let alone the U-18 Worlds, where the US has won 3 Golds, 2 Silvers, and a Bronze in the last seven years. Some of those kids comming up are going to eventually make the Olympics, don't you think?

I'd say the US has a ton of tallent that's 25 or under, and the future looks bright, but that's just me...

Moose

Nothing in hockey? How about a silver medal in Salt Lake in 2002? Or, how about two medals in the last five years (after three in the previous 30 years) of the World Juniors (plus a couple fourths)? Let alone the U-18 Worlds, where the US has won 3 Golds, 2 Silvers, and a Bronze in the last seven years. Some of those kids comming up are going to eventually make the Olympics, don't you think?

I'd say the US has a ton of tallent that's 25 or under, and the future looks bright, but that's just me...

Moose

Wow, I haven't heard anything this preposterous in quite awhile. I refuse to believe that winning a championship in anything could be a bad thing, furthermore I think the fact that they haven't won the gold since then just makes the accomplishment in 1980 all that more impressive. I don't know the inner-workings of USA hockey, but I'm assuming the people running the program now are focused more on the future than setting up Miracle on Ice tributes.

It couldn't be that the US's hockey playing population is smaller than other hockey playing nations, it couldn't be that the Olympics allowed NHL players and it couldn't be that the team has actually made its mark on the world stage since unbeknownst to you. Right, it's that they're all too content with winning it 30 years ago, that's it.

On topic, It's a great idea, but it seems like way too good an idea for someone to actually go through with it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

...It's like the guy who was the star quarterback in high school and you go back to the reunion and he's still wearing his beat up Letterman's jacket, holding a football, and he's got some crappy job, while everyone has moved on and improved themselves. He thinks he's still great, but he can barely hold a job, and internally everyone at the reunion just laughs at him because he's living in the past.

Last time you skipped work at Jiffy Mart, perhaps you should have gone to see a therapist instead of attending your reunion.

That was 30 years ago and we still haven't done anything in hockey!
That's true. Well except for the fact that a vast majority of the teams, the money that supports those teams, and the fans that pay the money to support those teams are located in the good ole' U.S of A. A fact which would NOT be nearly as true were it not for a certain Olympic team in 1980.
The more people in the country bring it up, the more hockey fans around the world laugh at us.
Like the fans in the USSR... oh yeah.. probably not. There was much more to international competition than there is now. It was a battle of ideologies in many ways. Fans in the Czech Republic and Slovakia still laud their heroes for defeating the USSR in world cup games. No one accuses them of holding onto the past. Those players are heroes. The real fan of hockey knows what those games meant to their respective countries. They couldn't be diminished by the opinion of someone that didn't experience it first hand.
What it shows is that in 30 years we've done nothing. Oh sure we did win the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. So what?

I don't hear a lot of Canadians saying "so what" regarding their 2002 Olympic win. (by the way... their ONLY Olympic win since 1952, during which span, the U.S. has had TWO)

I am sure there is some reason why you are frustrated with the state of US Hockey (or the laughs and insults hurled your way at your recent HS reunion... where you wore your varsity jacket... and talked about what a good quarterback you were...) but to label the 80 Olympic team as the cause of any perceived US Hockey woes is exorbitantly ignorant. Having followed hockey from the days before the Miracle on Ice and having seen first hand, from the front office point of view, the effect that it had on hockey in the U.S., I withhold my true feelings regarding your post and I will generously label you as ignorant.

BroncosSig.jpg

What it shows is that in 30 years we've done nothing. Oh sure we did win the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. So what?

I don't hear a lot of Canadians saying "so what" regarding their 2002 Olympic win. (by the way... their ONLY Olympic win since 1952, during which span, the U.S. has had TWO)

Keeping in mind the top 600 or so Canadian hockey players were ineligible to compete up until 1998 :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

USA Hockey, especially at the youth level, is so terribly run that you won't see strong teams for quite some time.

And no, the Miracle on Ice wasn't the worst thing to ever happen to USA Hockey. The worst thing to ever happen was when they started to delay checking until Pee-Wees.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

USA Hockey, especially at the youth level, is so terribly run that you won't see strong teams for quite some time.

And no, the Miracle on Ice wasn't the worst thing to ever happen to USA Hockey. The worst thing to ever happen was when they started to delay checking until Pee-Wees.

You can blame the PC police for that one, they dont want their kids expose to violence until they are old enough which according to some is the age of 25.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You can blame the PC police for that one, they dont want their kids expose to violence until they are old enough which according to some is the age of 25.

Well, ever since they delayed checking until Pee-Wee's, the rate of hits from behind and injuries caused by that have gone up dramatically. They're also trying to basically reinvent "American hockey" to be more European. Less hitting and more finesse.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

So winning a a best-on-best tournament, with a best 2 out of 3 championship series format, that featured a far higher talent level than the 1980 Olympics is a so what? I'm sorry but the '96 World Cup vistory is one hell of an accomplish, even a better victory than 1980. That '96 team against in the only best-on-best hockey tournament at the time went 6-1 (with the only loss coming in OT) in the tournament and beat favorite Canada 3 out of the 4 games they played. It' s far from a so what and we have done nothing since.

Not to mentin USA Hockey won silver in 2002, which admittidly was a disappointment, and gold in the 2004 World Juniors.

So if the World Juniors count and the silver medals count, why do people not mention those and only give a flying leap about the Miracle. Why does the Miracle on Ice get more play than the recent silver? Why do people not sit there and say, our Junior program is top notch? I'm sick of the Miracle crap. It was thirty years ago, leave it in the past. We're past the generation that was influenced by it and as a hockey program/nation we've watched other countries equal us and maybe go by us and some of these weren't even countries 30 years ago. Are we really any better than Finland or Slovakia? That's not degrading them as they've grown. But that's the point, they've grown and we've just been the stagnant program. I'm sorry for the fact that I expect excellence and the silver is the first loser. When have you heard Canada, Sweden, or Russia touting it's silver medals? They don't, it's gold or nothing. Our standards are so friggin' low as US hockey fans that we are ecstatic over a bronze or a silver. I don't want to hear this loser mentality out of US hockey fans and the program that they were happy with anything less than a gold. Why do we have to be a nation and a program that accepts less than gold? Why can't we be a program where heads roll when a team brings home a silver? I just don't feel that the US program and fans have the mentality to year in and year out to challenge for a gold. I'm tired of every 10-15 years we might get a silver. I just don't see the direction from the program that says that they are dedicated. Find a GM and a coach and hire them and not this faux GM and coach for the olympics, but find a GM and coach for the program and let them give a direction to the program.

So if the World Juniors count and the silver medals count, why do people not mention those and only give a flying leap about the Miracle. Why does the Miracle on Ice get more play than the recent silver? Why do people not sit there and say, our Junior program is top notch? I'm sick of the Miracle crap. It was thirty years ago, leave it in the past. We're past the generation that was influenced by it and as a hockey program/nation we've watched other countries equal us and maybe go by us and some of these weren't even countries 30 years ago. Are we really any better than Finland or Slovakia? That's not degrading them as they've grown. But that's the point, they've grown and we've just been the stagnant program. I'm sorry for the fact that I expect excellence and the silver is the first loser. When have you heard Canada, Sweden, or Russia touting it's silver medals? They don't, it's gold or nothing. Our standards are so friggin' low as US hockey fans that we are ecstatic over a bronze or a silver. I don't want to hear this loser mentality out of US hockey fans and the program that they were happy with anything less than a gold. Why do we have to be a nation and a program that accepts less than gold? Why can't we be a program where heads roll when a team brings home a silver? I just don't feel that the US program and fans have the mentality to year in and year out to challenge for a gold. I'm tired of every 10-15 years we might get a silver. I just don't see the direction from the program that says that they are dedicated. Find a GM and a coach and hire them and not this faux GM and coach for the olympics, but find a GM and coach for the program and let them give a direction to the program.

i see where youre going and why youre saying this stuff. i too think its wrong to expect anything less than gold. however, the Miracle is something to be celebrated, even 30 years later. its to be celebrated that in a time where the Soviets were the most feared nation on the planet, where they were pretty much first in everything, in space etc etc, that we could beat them in a sport where they were so dominant for so many years with a bunch of college kids. it was something we could celebrate as a people. at the time it was much more than a hockey game.

once again, i agree that a definite direction needs to be sought for USA Hockey, and it looks like its starting to come around with the young kids that we are producing. Americans will soon be a hockey power nation, but it will take time.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

...its to be celebrated that in a time where the Soviets were the most feared nation on the planet, where they were pretty much first in everything, in space etc etc, that we could beat them in a sport where they were so dominant for so many years with a bunch of college kids. it was something we could celebrate as a people. at the time it was much more than a hockey game.

This is what oddball's glue sniffing tirade seemed to be missing. It's more a celebration of American pride than of a gold medal. It was something the country desperately needed, and got. It's about a bunch of rag-tag college kids who came together and in turn brought a nation together all because of a hockey game. Sure we haven't won a gold since, but does that diminish what happened in Lake Placid, and around the country on that day? No. We could have won gold medals in '92, '94, '98, and so on after the USSR disbanded, but I can assure you, what was done in 1980 would still be celebrated on a level equal to that of today. Why this should be forgotten about is beyond me.

Don't know which forum this would go in, but...

So the other day I was watching Miracle, and had a thought. At the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, it will be the 30th Anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. I say this because I had another thought.

"The starting goalie of the US team should paint his mask like Jim Craig's"

craig201.jpg

a plain white mask with 2 clover leafs

Just an idea, that would make sence, and be a good tribute

good idea, or bad idea?

I'm fairly certain masks like this aren't allowed in major competition anymore... haven't they been outlawed due to safety issues? I know Bernie Parent's career basically was ended by the butt of a stick through one of the eyeholes.

Archived