Vegas Expo's

griffin128

I concur w/Grif that Vegas MLB is WAY possible; I'll stick with "Aces" with the contention that the gaming industry in Nevada IS legal & highly regulated and is viewed by themselves & hopefully their clientele as a legitimate entertainment venue. That said I do like "Scorpions", a good unused sports team name and somewhat germane to the desert southwest. Along with the MLB article Grif posted to start the thread, everything I read about the Expos relocation, particularly from "unnamed MLB executives" is the attractiveness of the Las Vegas market weighed against the baseball on the sports books issue, which Las Vegas would certainly have to settle to MLB's satisfaction. So... let's see some of the MAD CC logo/uni talents :notworthy: take a shot @ Lost Wages MLB; bring it ON!!

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised to see somehting desert related like the Oasis or the Desert Snakes or something

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Las Vegas Disobedient White Tigers

Now THAT'S funny!

Although I have my doubts about the Expos relocating to LV, can you imagine the list of performers they could get to sing the National Anthem? My guess is that the first one up would be new Vegas resident Celine Dion, although that would really be a double slap in the face to Quebecers.

<sigh> if only Dino were still alive.....

I like the Las Vegas Expos (without the apostrophe!)

Or Las Vegas Badgers, just so their cheer could be "BADGER! BADGER! BADGER! BADGER!"

Mushroom, MUSHROOM!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

:hockeysmiley: Now that we've maybe dispensed with all the funny "Las Vegas Legalized Prostitutes" gag LV MLB nicknames <_< , here's a few perhaps pertinent Nevada facts:

State Bird: Mountain Bluebird

Animal: Desert Bighorn Sheep

Reptile: Desert Tortoise

Fish: Lahontan Cutthroat Trout

Flower: Sagebrush

Metal: Silver

Colors: Silver & Blue

Not a whole lot to go on, but I do suggest you do NOT turn your back on those Lahontan Cutthroat Trout!!

Colors: Silver & Blue

Not a whole lot to go on, but I do suggest you do NOT turn your back on those Lahontan Cutthroat Trout!!

Wow, that would rule. While I wish MLB would get away from using so much blue, it would be cool to see a Vegas design that does not include Black, Red, and Gold.

The Las Vegas Cutthroats, that has a nice ring to it. too minor league sounding for the bigs.

The Bighorns sounds decent, if you're going for a regional identity

How about bringing the name 51s over form AAA so we can have an Alien logo.

Weren't their colours silver and blue? I don't know if the 51's will fly. I'm leaning towards Jackals or some bird name like the Vultures or maybe the Weasels.... no wait that would be Washington....

I saw, I came, I left.

the Lahontan cutthroat trouts are actually more prominent in northern Nevada then they are in southern Nevada. Pyramid Lake (which is a reminant of the ancient Lake Lahontan, which covered approx. 1/4 the land that is present day Nevada), the Truckee River, and Lake Tahoe are the major fisheries for this species. I could be wrong but the only possible fishery for them near LV would be Lake Mead, which is actually know more for smallmouth bass.

theres lots more to Nevada then just Reno, Las Vegas, gambling, and legal bordellos (nothing wrong with those things BTW). Lots of geographic history as well as old west history. Ive been to a couple of ghosttowns there (tourist trap virginia city doesnt count) and its something that can only be appreciated by visiting those places.

us-nv.gif

blue field with coat of arms

arms explanation:

motto BATTLE BORN signifying Nevada's statehood in 1965, at the time of the civil war

silver star representing the states silver mining industry

wreaths are sagebrush, which as mentioned above, is the state flower

interesting fact: the arms was changed in 1987. the letters that spelled NEVADA actually encircled the star before then.

there will be a test on this. now study hard or professor Shark will beat you with the sharp side of the ruler! :P

Sharkie, you certified (certifiable?!?) ZANE!!

Re: "LV Cutthroats", curiously, "cutthroat poker" is a gambling term for high stakes poker for $ as opposed to friendly no wager games. Still kind of a minor league name, though. Animal/critter names are traditional fun; Nevada's first major league team should represent the state as well as LV I'd say. Still I thought of "Las Vegas Aces" for three main reasons. First, it's the high card in a playing card deck, nothing beats an ace. Second, a baseball team's best starting and relief pitchers are called their "aces". Good non-offensive baseball/gaming connection I reasoned. Third reason, the Quebec City major junior and I believe minor league hockey teams of the past were the Quebec Aces. I always thought that was a cool kind of retro name, punchy, evocative, to the point. The Quebec Aces used the clubs suit symbol as their main logo if I recall correctly. I'll look around on LogoServer, see if they have one. Team colors? Silver & blue hasn't been too overdone; I think UNV-Reno uses these colors, besides the AAA 51's. Grif, I've always liked red-black-gold uni combo, can't think of too many MLB teams now using this basic scheme. Astros' red is a brick/terra cotta shade,

any other MLB team using the SF 49'ers basic scheme? With any luck, there go those gaming references again, we'll have the fun of a name the team contest later this year, stadium ground breaking, all the fun of a new team. I'm a lifelong 'Spos fan, from Parc Jarry on, honest! All I hope is MLB's Lost Tribe finds a good home, gets the support they deserve so they can compete in the modern market. Some wise other sports nut said "Baseball is a game great enough to survive those left in its charge". Let's hope so & GO Aces! Opening Day anthem singers, ya say?!? Lots of good suggestions so far; the Chairman, Francis Albert, has left us, so that leaves the star they call "Mr. Las Vegas", Ladies & Gentlemen,

MR. Wayne Newton!! "Las Vegas Stars", that'd work for me too! I know Dallas NHL appropriated the name, there's room for two Stars teams, huh?!? B)

Sharkie, you certified (certifiable?!?) ZANE!!

Re: "LV Cutthroats", curiously, "cutthroat poker" is a gambling term for high stakes poker for $ as opposed to friendly no wager games. Still kind of a minor league name, though. Animal/critter names are traditional fun; Nevada's first major league team should represent the state as well as LV I'd say. Still I thought of "Las Vegas Aces" for three main reasons. First, it's the high card in a playing card deck, nothing beats an ace. Second, a baseball team's best starting and relief pitchers are called their "aces". Good non-offensive baseball/gaming connection I reasoned. Third reason, the Quebec City major junior and I believe minor league hockey teams of the past were the Quebec Aces. I always thought that was a cool kind of retro name, punchy, evocative, to the point. The Quebec Aces used the clubs suit symbol as their main logo if I recall correctly. I'll look around on LogoServer, see if they have one. Team colors? Silver & blue hasn't been too overdone; I think UNV-Reno uses these colors, besides the AAA 51's. Grif, I've always liked red-black-gold uni combo, can't think of too many MLB teams now using this basic scheme. Astros' red is a brick/terra cotta shade,

any other MLB team using the SF 49'ers basic scheme? With any luck, there go those gaming references again, we'll have the fun of a name the team contest later this year, stadium ground breaking, all the fun of a new team. I'm a lifelong 'Spos fan, from Parc Jarry on, honest! All I hope is MLB's Lost Tribe finds a good home, gets the support they deserve so they can compete in the modern market. Some wise other sports nut said "Baseball is a game great enough to survive those left in its charge". Let's hope so & GO Aces! Opening Day anthem singers, ya say?!? Lots of good suggestions so far; the Chairman, Francis Albert, has left us, so that leaves the star they call "Mr. Las Vegas", Ladies & Gentlemen,

MR. Wayne Newton!! "Las Vegas Stars", that'd work for me too! I know Dallas NHL appropriated the name, there's room for two Stars teams, huh?!? B)

The Las Vegas Stars were the Padres' farm team in the late 80's and into the early 90's.

I like Aces as a name and I would suggest a color scheme of red black and green, the green being the base color of most gaming table surfaces up until fairly recently.

Thanx, I KNEW "LV Stars" baseball was familiar, the 80's being the hazy memory they are... "High Rollers" w/flaming dice logo, kind of a new ABA logo, don't remember the actual LV ABA team name, so there ya go. Something like "Tarantulas On Meth" or somesuch, doubtless... I found some Quebec Aces logos on LogoServer. They were among many things the Philly NHL farm team in the 70's & used a stylized lower case "a" with the 4 playing card suits in the lower case a loop. The older 50's/60's Aces used fanned out 4 suit ace cards but I still remember an even older Aces hockey logo that used I recall the ace of spades symbol as their main logo. This for some reason would be my main LV Aces logo icon. I like green as an accent color w/red & black, old NJ NHL colors, weren't they? The new ballpark can have "hearts-diamonds-clubs-spades" sections, diamonds, another baseball/gaming link. Me, I'm counting on the LV showgirl/ballgirls down the foul lines! :shocked:

Always have to go with XFL name, the Las Vegas Outlaws. It sounds good and i actually like the Black, Red, and Gold for all Vegas teams. If they can't pay the fee for that name to the defunct league (i'm sure mcmahon wants the dough) they could go with Desperadoes or soemthing.

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

Archived