Interesting Atlanta Falcons Helmet

MarkAtnip

I came across this bedspread recently. The most interesting part of is the red helmet with a white "A" on it. I am assuming this is a placeholder for the incoming Falcons team and that it dates from 1966, although possibly from the preseason.

Falcons.jpg

Is there any indication that this was actually considered as a helmet design?

Other "dated" logos on the sheet were the Browns CB helmet (pictured)and the white Cowboys helmet. Redskins helmet was the "spear" model which appeared in 1965. The Rams logo (horn) was white. All of which would confirm the 1965-1966 date.

Nice find, I've never seen that before. I wonder how many products this made it's way on to before the real logo came out.

I know of a couple for the Saints. First, this 1966 Dave Boss poster showing the Saints' uni almost as it ultimately looked. The helmet is noticeably different, having only a single black stripe, a FDL clearly different than the one they went with, and oddly, a white facemask. I've looked at it many times trying to convince myself that it's just gray and he didn't get it quite dark enough but it definitely matches other white elements in the painting. Weird.

IMG_1155.jpg

And yeah, it's hanging in my living room. My wife is very understanding my Saints fandom.

Note the bobblehead helmet below has a single white stripe and again, a different FDL logo than the one eventually used. Obviously they considered the single white stripe judging from the '67 SI cover showing such helmets held by Jim Taylor and Gary Cuozzo. The SI cover helmets have the FDL they went with.

IMG_1158.jpg

Auto120.jpg

Never noticed it before but in that SI pic, Jim Taylor's eyes look like Bucco Bruce's except reversed. :D

150px-Bucco_Bruce.gif

I came across this bedspread recently. The most interesting part of is the red helmet with a white "A" on it. I am assuming this is a placeholder for the incoming Falcons team and that it dates from 1966, although possibly from the preseason.

Falcons.jpg

Other "dated" logos on the sheet were the Browns CB helmet (pictured)and the white Cowboys helmet. Redskins helmet was the "spear" model which appeared in 1965. The Rams logo (horn) was white. All of which would confirm the 1965-1966 date.

Now we have proof where Tennessee and Baltimore got their helmet stripes from! :P

Falcons.jpg

Now we have proof where Tennessee and Baltimore got their helmet stripes from! :P

and carolina

I know of a couple for the Saints. First, this 1966 Dave Boss poster showing the Saints' uni almost as it ultimately looked. The helmet is noticeably different, having only a single black stripe, a FDL clearly different than the one they went with, and oddly, a white facemask. I've looked at it many times trying to convince myself that it's just gray and he didn't get it quite dark enough but it definitely matches other white elements in the painting. Weird.

IMG_1155.jpg

Very cool print; glad you have an understanding wife who lets you keep it in the living room. Back in the mid-60s the only white facemasks were plastic ones like those from MacGregor or Wilson; maybe Boss had seen more of them than the typical grey Riddell plastic masks when he was doing the print.

There were no metal cage masks in any color other than grey in the mid-60s; the other colors didn't come out until the 1970s.

And yeah, it's hanging in my living room. My wife is very understanding my Saints fandom.

I hear that and remember the Dennis Leary routine about your wife not letting all your sports stuff in the house. He says " I went to Wayne Gretzky's house once, all his :censored: is in the garage. And he is a :censored:ing Hall of Famer, your :censored: doesn't stand a chance" :D

Archived