Battle Red on Monday Night Football

mmejia

I'm a Texans fan.

Yes, I am the one.

I love our basic set: blue on white or white on blue with red socks. I really think it is as good as it gets for a pro football look.

340x.jpgt1-andre.johnson1.jpg

I know this gets discussed from time to time, but I really don't understand the reason for teams to deviate from their image on nights where they are showcased nationally.

Sports organizations (pro and college) sink mega dollars into creating a brand, yet it seems on nights where they are nationally televised (think Thursday night ESPN col. football or MNF), you see the whacky color combos, blackouts, greenouts, all purple baby!!, etc.. I like our red jerseys, but it loses it's sharpness when monochromed with the red pants. And I'm not anti-monochrome, either. I love a few monochrome sets, but just not this one.

mnf_splash1.jpg

I am a fan of the red on white combo they used to wear:

battle_red.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can a team get their primary logo so right and continually screw everything else up so badly?

What else have they screwed up so badly (image wise)?

The red pants probably should be scrapped. As far as I'm concerned, they would pretty well solve the occasional flaw in their image.

I'm not a huge fan of their HT logo, but it's not an eyesore or anything.

How can a team get their primary logo so right and continually screw everything else up so badly?

I know I am the minority but I think that logo is one of the worst logos in all of professional sports. It looks generic to me. It looks like the old American Fare logo.

The red pants would look great with the white jerseys, IF they reversed the striping to white-blue-white. Other than that, I don't get the love fest for the Texans look. They do have a great logo, but their uniforms are pretty generic. There's not a single thing wrong with them (other than the messed up stripes on the red and blue pants) but they're not remarkable either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The red pants would look great with the white jerseys, IF they reversed the striping to white-blue-white. Other than that, I don't get the love fest for the Texans look. They do have a great logo, but their uniforms are pretty generic. There's not a single thing wrong with them (other than the messed up stripes on the red and blue pants) but they're not remarkable either.

That's kinda the beauty of them; in an era of piping and swooping tapered stripes everywhere, they kept a level head and designed a simple but elegant uniform, with a recognizable font and logo. I'm pretty bummed that they've been moving away from this, with the blue and red monochrome unis and now the permanent change to blue socks with the blue pants. I just hate it when teams throw good design principles out the window so their players can feel cool cuz they're wearing a bright red clown suit. Once Nike unveils their leotards at Oregon, I might just turn in my football fan card.

Oh, now I see it - the stripes on the red and blue pants are supposed to tie in to the numbers. That doesn't make it as bad, but I don't think that is smart design to have a stripe based on the numbers, when there is already another stripe on the uniform that now doesn't tie into anything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yep, the Texans will look terrible tonite... and their uniforms will suck, too.

The red jersey itself looks really cool the first time you see it and less cool the more often it shows up. So the all red outfit is just an overdose of redness. And let me add that red jeresys are not flattering to fan figures.

Still, the all red madness is heads and tails better than the awful, awful secondary. It looks like it was made for a cable access show for Texans fans.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't bad mouth the team before our MNF cherry gets popped. Go Texans! Don't screw this up!

The discrepancy between the stripe on the jersey (blue) and the pants (blue-white-blue) really bugs me. If you're gonna go monochrome, at least get the striping right.

And since it seems the red pants are only worn with the red jerseys and vice-versa, the least they could do is match the striping one way or the other.

(I still wish they were called the Houston "Bulls" instead of Texans. But that's another issue for another day.)

Last year they killed Denver in primetime with those jerseys, so maybe they can do it again?

Also last year I oddly remember there was an ad on this before that game that appeared on this site that showed a pregame party which Halliburton was sponsoring

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived